Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Concrete and beetles???  (Read 119 times)

Offline BAHBEEs

• House Bee
Concrete and beetles???
« on: January 15, 2020, 12:19:18 pm »
Concrete musings...

So, here is the question. 

Does anyone know if placing hive on concrete away form any soil  has any effect at all on hive beetle populations seen in a hive?

Barry

Offline paus

• House Bee
Re: Concrete and beetles???
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2020, 12:46:31 pm »
I heard one of the noted PHD speakers at Texas state bee convention say that he walked into the lab building one AM and there were SHB Larva crawling all over the building. The conclusion that hit me.      A landing strip is not big enough to stop SHB larva.

Offline BAHBEEs

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2020, 12:57:43 pm »
Pretty much what I am hearing.

Man I hate em!

Offline CoolBees

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2020, 01:21:37 pm »
I've no personal knowledge - but I read (somewhere - probably here, a couple yrs ago) that SHB larvae could easily cross 20'+ of concrete to get to earth they could dive into.

The larvae are [always] coming from a hive, and headed to dirt - as I understand it.

I see very few SHB, but I discovered last year that they are a real problem in my area (for others). I attribute my lack of them for 5 years now (fingers crossed), to my chickens that run free most days. I read that chickens can smell the larvae from a good distance and target them quickly. ... buuut I didn't ask the chickens if it true - I just read it somewhere.
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Online Ben Framed

• Galactic Bee
  • North Mississippi
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2020, 01:29:53 pm »
I heard one of the noted PHD speakers at Texas state bee convention say that he walked into the lab building one AM and there were SHB Larva crawling all over the building. The conclusion that hit me.      A landing strip is not big enough to stop SHB larva.

Pretty much what I am hearing.

Man I hate em!

I hate em too. I heard the same thing from Dr Jamie Ellis who was researching them at the University of Florida. Since the larva were crawling throughout the night; (now these are not his words or theory but mine), there is zero chance that the heat of the day and hot concrete will kill them as long as they can make it to soil before the sun does its job on them?  Now my theory may be wrong? They may be able to withstand the hot concrete? They are tough for sure. Dr Ellis also stated that they can fly miles to reach a beehive, I cannot remember how far he said but I have read somewhere since, that they can fly 7 miles to reach our hives, some say further. A fierce competitor for sure. Have you had problems with them Barry?
Phillip
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 01:52:46 pm by Ben Framed »

Online AR Beekeeper

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2020, 02:43:34 pm »
The beetle larvae usually exit the hive at night, and this protects them from chickens and birds.  They crawl long distances to go to earth, but I have been told by beekeepers that crawling more than 20 feet on hot concrete will kill some of the larvae before they reach the edge.  I have seen this happen when shaking out comb from deadouts.

I have read that 80% of beetle larvae that drop onto earth from the hive will pupate within 4 feet of the hive.  I have wondered if there is a tendency to crawl in a particular direction from the hive or if it is just a random dispersal.  I know that putting a board down in front of the entrance in summer to keep grass down attracts both adults and larvae to the ground under the board.  This is due to the ground under the board being moist compared to the surrounding area.

Online Ben Framed

• Galactic Bee
  • North Mississippi
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2020, 03:39:49 pm »
The beetle larvae usually exit the hive at night, and this protects them from chickens and birds.  They crawl long distances to go to earth, but I have been told by beekeepers that crawling more than 20 feet on hot concrete will kill some of the larvae before they reach the edge.  I have seen this happen when shaking out comb from deadouts.

I have read that 80% of beetle larvae that drop onto earth from the hive will pupate within 4 feet of the hive.  I have wondered if there is a tendency to crawl in a particular direction from the hive or if it is just a random dispersal.  I know that putting a board down in front of the entrance in summer to keep grass down attracts both adults and larvae to the ground under the board.  This is due to the ground under the board being moist compared to the surrounding area.

Makes perfect sense. Good post AR

Online Ben Framed

• Galactic Bee
  • North Mississippi
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2020, 03:46:02 pm »
Thinking about it,  maybe the chickens scratch and dig until they find the larva unless the larva burrow to deep?  The chickens only scratch the surface to a certain extent.