Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hive beetles  (Read 340 times)

Offline Nwf Bees

• New Bee
Hive beetles
« on: December 25, 2019, 07:41:46 pm »
Hello , I am currently having trouble with hive beetles I am in the Pensacola area I have already lost two hives to beetles I have tried dryer sheets and swiffers and even the oil traps between the frames , all the methods catch a few but not most of them are there any other ways ? I am thinking about doing oil trays under each hive but I will have to get creative because they are 5 frame hives. For some reason hive beetles are my biggest problem in my hives even my strong ones have them...
« Last Edit: December 25, 2019, 07:54:18 pm by Nwf Bees »

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Hive beetles
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2019, 07:59:04 pm »
Compress the colonies.  Remove any empty boxes and any infested combs.  Any boxes not fully occupied by bees should be removed.  If you have a freezer to put them in, that would be a help.  Probably double wrap them in plastic garbage bags (SHB larvae will chew through the plastic, but if they freeze fast enough two should hold them).  The problem is that there aren't a high enough density of bees to protect the comb.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Online iddee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2019, 09:39:31 pm »
And get them out of the shade, and into full sunlight.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Nwf Bees

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2019, 09:47:57 pm »
I will reduce them as much as I can like you said...they are in the most sun I have...full sun from roughly 9am - 4:30 pm.

Offline FloridaGardener

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2019, 03:00:26 pm »
@NWF Bees

I'm about an hour from Pensacola.  Sorry about your hives.  I've been using Dixie H700 towels, and roughing those towels up with 60-grit sandpaper, to give bees a head start on pulling up fuzzy filaments that trap SHB.

I've been chatting with a researcher at USDA who is looking to run trials on a new SHB bait. His work will be published soon. When it is, I'll post a link here. 

There will be two types of traps.
1) An in-hive yeast and kairomone-based putty bait in a CD case, which bees cannot access. SHB are dead by the time the poison hits their intestinal tract.
2) An external trap at a distance from the hive. He says the long-distance traps are less effective, because to SHB, nothing smells quite as great as a beehive.

If you'd like to be included in helping with the trials, PM me.  BTW, he recommends if the hive is slimed, to freeze not just frames but hive bodies & all woodware too, because SHB eggs can remain in crevices.

He also says, leave hives in the hot sun.  He's in Gainesville, it's as hot as Pensacola. There's reduced honey production because of so much fanning to stay cool, but it's better than hives lost to SHB.

Offline Ben Framed

• Galactic Bee
  • North Mississippi
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2019, 01:36:36 am »
@NWF Bees

I'm about an hour from Pensacola.  Sorry about your hives.  I've been using Dixie H700 towels, and roughing those towels up with 60-grit sandpaper, to give bees a head start on pulling up fuzzy filaments that trap SHB.

I've been chatting with a researcher at USDA who is looking to run trials on a new SHB bait. His work will be published soon. When it is, I'll post a link here. 

1) An in-hive yeast and kairomone-based putty bait in a CD case, which bees cannot access. SHB are dead by the time the poison hits their intestinal tract.
2) An external trap at a distance from the hive. He says the long-distance traps are less effective, because to SHB, nothing smells quite as great as a beehive.

If you'd like to be included in helping with the trials, PM me.  BTW, he recommends if the hive is slimed, to freeze not just frames but hive bodies & all woodware too, because SHB eggs can remain in crevices.

He also says, leave hives in the hot sun.  He's in Gainesville, it's as hot as Pensacola. There's reduced honey production because of so much fanning to stay cool, but it's better than hives lost to SHB.

FG do you yet know what type poison is used along with the yeast and kairomone-based putty bait which your researcher friend uses inside the CD cases?  As I'm sure that you already know, but I am saying this for the benefit of our new beekeeper from pensacola. A CD type trap is already in use by some, though deemed illegal, even though the bees can not access the poison inside, only SHB can enter.  The bait that I have read about is drop of butter flavored crisco placed in the center of the CD case and some sort of roach bait is placed around this crisco. Some claim that this set up will take care of the SHB problem while others say not only is it illegal but dangerous. Hopefully your friends research poison, will be a safe poison?
Kind Regards,
Phillip

Online sawdstmakr

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2019, 08:23:35 am »
The big problem with in hive baits is if the beetles are able to exit the bait box before dying, they are carrying the poison out into the hive where it ends up in your honey and also killing your bees.
When I started out my hives were all in shade and the SHBs loved them. I built screen bottom boards with oil traps for all of my hives and every one killed thousands of beetles every month. I had to wash them out every month because they would stink really bad because they were completely full of dead SHBs.
If you make them make sure they are bee tight. If bees can find their way into them they are dead.
Jim Altmiller

Offline Nwf Bees

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2019, 07:58:11 pm »
I think I'm going to try the oil trays and see what happens it can't hurt.

Offline Bob Wilson

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2020, 04:58:54 pm »
Anyone tried the guardian hive entrance trap? I was thinking of trying it out.

Online sawdstmakr

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2020, 07:00:50 pm »
Anyone tried the guardian hive entrance trap? I was thinking of trying it out.
I had one given to me similar to it. Not worth the money.
Jim Altmiller

Offline Ben Framed

• Galactic Bee
  • North Mississippi
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2020, 10:19:44 am »
@NWF Bees

FG do you yet know what type poison is used along with the yeast and kairomone-based putty bait which your researcher friend uses inside the CD cases?  As I'm sure that you already know, but I am saying this for the benefit of our new beekeeper from pensacola. A CD type trap is already in use by some, though deemed illegal, even though the bees can not access the poison inside, only SHB can enter.  The bait that I have read about is drop of butter flavored crisco placed in the center of the CD case and some sort of roach bait is placed around this crisco. Some claim that this set up will take care of the SHB problem while others say not only is it illegal but dangerous. Hopefully your friends research poison, will be a safe poison?
Kind Regards,
Phillip

Bump