Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Pics of mite drop after Oxalic Acid Vapor treatment. One hive to die.  (Read 126 times)

Offline van from Arkansas

• Field Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
I will presents 4 different pictures of bottom boards, each with the details.  All hives treated Nov. 2, with provap 110V and 1gram of acid per deep.  Fourth treatment of the year.

This picture is of the bottom board of a 2019 queen purchased for genetics diversity.  I doubt this hive will make it, to weakened by mites and will dwindle and die by March.  Diatomaceous earth on bottom board, wax capping, there is a moth for size comparison, LOOK AT ALL THE MITES.  Many more to fall in the next few days.

To many mites to count!

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

I am not proud of this pic, it horrifying but I must show the good with the bad in all honesty.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2019, 02:34:52 pm by van from Arkansas »
Bless the Beekeepers.  Dealing with venomous insects takes courage, patience, dedication and a desire to be with nature.

• Field Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
Re: Pics of mite drop after Oxalic Acid Vapor treatment. One hive to die.
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2019, 01:27:04 pm »
Clean bottom board just before treatment.  Very few mites. 2018. queen, my original stock, Alpha daughter.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2019, 01:41:48 pm by van from Arkansas »
Bless the Beekeepers.  Dealing with venomous insects takes courage, patience, dedication and a desire to be with nature.

• Field Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2019, 01:28:36 pm »
Queen, Alpha, my breeder queen, 3.6 years of age.  Five dead hive beetles killed by diatom earth.  Look hard, few mites.

Van

• Field Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2019, 01:41:14 pm »
Alpha?s granddaughter:

• Field Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2019, 01:51:09 pm »
Three generations of same queen line:
1.  Alpha

2.  her 2017 daughter,

3.  her 2018 granddaughter.

Find a good queen and breed her.  Alpha showed hygenic qualities form the beginning, along with gentle offspring and good honey production.

Out of 14 hives, only one was horrific with mite drop as shown in the top pic.  Every year I have to purchase some queens for genetics.  The top pic was one of those purchased queens. 

• Field Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2019, 02:01:00 pm »

I enlarged a small section of the first pic with all the mites.  Kinda blurry but look at all the mites in an area the size of a dime.  Almost 40 mites are shown in this small area picked at random of the bottom board. 

Online Ben Framed

• Super Bee
  • North Mississippi
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2019, 03:13:26 pm »
Good post Mr Van. One of the good things about AI breeding is you can pick the drones that you would like to breed to. Hopefully making steady improvement with your genetic line of bees.  Good Job on killing be mites Mr Van. You are definitely on to good things.