Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Emergency Food  (Read 74 times)

Offline Anonimo22

• House Bee
Emergency Food
« on: October 10, 2019, 08:35:37 am »
Hey friends...

I don't know if many of you have given this much thought. But this is one of the things some of us could choose and look at as a possibility considering the poor state of the Union.

Now one thing not talked about by both sources is that you can store these in canning jars. You first preheat the oven to 260 degrees and then put the cans empty in the oven to sterilize them. Then later you can store stuff in them. (Also that's the same temperature you'd use to sterilize them (cars only, not lids. You boil the lids instead in water to soften the rubber rings.) After sterilizing the canning jars you can then use them either to store hard tack in (no water, seal the top), or just use them for normal canning like tomatoes n such.

These...don't really taste good, I have to warn you. But if you have jam or some drink to soak them in first then they aren't that bad. And hard tack does have some protein... (but if on them a long time you could get scurvy.)

Offline cidersabuzzin

• Queen Bee
  • vroom... vroom... but more like phut! phut!
Re: Emergency Food
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2019, 08:13:22 pm »
Much sooner go to the local Walmart and get something that tastes good :cheesy:
In the great scheme of things If you're ever gonna need hard tack there ain't gonna be much left :rolleyes:
Looks like you survivalists haven't made such a good job of it! :rolleyes:
cider   
What's good for bees is usually good for mankind. Doesn't that mean sharing?

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be, as long as you elect sane politicians who are not embarrassed about their hair" with apologies to SS

Offline iddee

• Galactic Bee
Re: Emergency Food
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2019, 08:44:27 pm »
I have enough canned meat, canned veggies, canned fruits, canned jellies and jams, to feed my family for 6 months. I think I can pass on the hard tack. My stuff tastes good and is plenty healthy.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*