Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Question for you ProVap users.  (Read 157 times)

Offline Ben Framed

• Super Bee
  • North Mississippi
Question for you ProVap users.
« on: September 22, 2019, 03:25:24 am »
I have a question for you Provap users. Do you regularly replace the o-ring which is used as the seal for your cap, the cap seal?  I am curious as about how many times a cap o-ring can possiabley be expected to last before it needs to be changed? 
Thanks,
Phillip
« Last Edit: September 22, 2019, 04:07:12 am by Ben Framed »

Offline van from Arkansas

• Field Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
Re: Question for you ProVap users.
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2019, 10:02:50 am »
Phil, my seals are intact on my provap and I have been using 2-3 years.  The rubber is as good as new.

Van
Bless the Beekeepers.  Dealing with venomous insects takes courage, patience, dedication and a desire to be with nature.

Offline Ben Framed

• Super Bee
  • North Mississippi
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2019, 11:13:02 am »
Thanks Mr Van, the provap is quite a tool!
Phillip

Online jtcmedic

• House Bee
    • Sweetest sting honey
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2019, 11:54:36 am »
I?ve never had a problem with mine and I agree it is a great time saver

• Field Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2019, 12:17:50 pm »
The Cupped lids of the provap are inexpensive.  It made of heat resistant plastic and holds the Oxalic acid.  I have several, I place one on each hive top preloaded with 2 grams of Oxalic acid.  Then I approach the hive, turn the provap upside down, press the lid on, insert the gas tube into the hive, turn provap rite side up and 8 seconds later, finished and in to next hive.

I stuff soft flexible foam into the entrance so the OAVgas does not escape.  After about 2 minutes, I remove the foam to open the entrance and in another 2 minutes all appears normal.  I have precut foam.  I will post a pic.
Van
Bless the Beekeepers.  Dealing with venomous insects takes courage, patience, dedication and a desire to be with nature.

• Field Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2019, 12:24:47 pm »
[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

• Field Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2019, 12:25:16 pm »
[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

The long foam is to seal a 10 frame entrance, the shorter foam is for a nuc.  Precut so the foam just fits easily into the entrance and is so soft as to not crush any bees. Fast, easy, gentle on bees.
Van

Offline Ben Framed

• Super Bee
  • North Mississippi
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2019, 01:06:11 pm »
The Cupped lids of the provap are inexpensive.  It made of heat resistant plastic and holds the Oxalic acid.  I have several, I place one on each hive top preloaded with 2 grams of Oxalic acid.  Then I approach the hive, turn the provap upside down, press the lid on, insert the gas tube into the hive, turn provap rite side up and 8 seconds later, finished and in to next hive.

I stuff soft flexible foam into the entrance so the OAVgas does not escape.  After about 2 minutes, I remove the foam to open the entrance and in another 2 minutes all appears normal.  I have precut foam.  I will post a pic.
Van

Now that is a good idea. I have not seen foam used. I like it!

Offline Barhopper

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2019, 06:23:24 pm »
I just started replacing mine. I had it unit for three years and treat 35 or so hives with three round per year. The get brittle and come apart. They don?t leak excessively without the o ring.

Offline sawdstmakr

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2019, 08:44:56 am »
Ben,
My o ring has changed after repeated use. If I put the cup on and turn it over , it leaked real bad. I have learned to put it on and let it heat up, then fill it and use it.
Jim Altmiller