Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: 32 things you may not know.  (Read 258 times)

Offline sawdstmakr

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
32 things you may not know.
« on: September 03, 2019, 10:27:33 pm »

1. A rat can last longer without water than a camel.
2. Your stomach has to produce a new layer of mucus every two weeks or it will digest itself.
3. The dot over the letter "i" is called a tittle.
4. A raisin dropped in a glass of fresh champagne will bounce up and down continuously from the bottom of the glass to the top.
5. A female ferret will die if it goes into heat and cannot find a mate.
6. A duck's quack doesn't echo. No one knows why.
7. A 2 X 4 is really 1-1/2" by 3-1/2".
8. During the chariot scene in "Ben Hur," a small red car can be seen in the distance (and Heston's wearing a watch).
9. On average, 12 newborns will be given to the wrong parents daily!?? (That explains a few mysteries...)
10. Donald Duck comics were banned from Finland because he doesn't wear pants.
11. Because metal was scarce, the Oscars given out during World War II were made of wood.
12. The number of possible ways of playing the first four moves per side in a game of chess is 318,979,564, 000.
13. There are no words in the dictionary that rhyme with orange, purple and silver.
14 The name Wendy was made up for the book Peter Pan. There was never a recorded Wendy before.
15. The very first bomb dropped by the Allies on Berlin in World War II killed the only elephant in the Berlin Zoo.
16. If one places a tiny amount of liquor on a scorpion, it will instantly go mad and sting itself to death. (Who was the sadist who discovered this??)
17. Bruce Lee was so fast that they actually had to s-l-o-w film down so you could see his moves. That's the opposite of the norm.
18. The first CD pressed in the US was Bruce Springsteen' s "Born in the USA."
19. The original name for butterfly was flutterby.
20. The phrase "rule of thumb" is derived from an old English?? law which stated that you couldn't beat your wife with anything wider than your thumb.
21. The first product Motorola started to develop was a record?? player for automobiles. At that time, the most known player on the market was Victrola, so they called themselves Motorola.
22. Roses may be red, but violets are indeed violet.
23. By raising your legs slowly and lying on your back, you cannot sink into quicksand.
24. Celery has negative calories. It takes more calories to eat a piece of celery than the celery has in it to begin with.
25. Charlie Chaplin once won third prize in a Charlie Chaplin look-alike contest.
26. Chewing gum while peeling onions will keep you from crying.
27. Sherlock Holmes NEVER said, "Elementary, my dear Watson."
28. An old law in Bellingham, Washington, made it illegal for a woman to take more than three steps backwards while dancing!
29. The glue on Israeli postage is certified kosher.
30. The Guinness Book of Records holds the record for being the book most often stolen from public libraries.
31. Astronauts are not allowed to eat beans before they go into space because passing wind in a spacesuit damages them.
32. Bats always turn left when exiting a cave!

SEE.....NOW WASN'T THAT CALMING AND NICE FOR A CHANGE?

Not to mention how much smarter you've now become!

Jim Altmiller

Offline iddee

• Galactic Bee
Re: 32 things you may not know.
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2019, 10:54:06 pm »
I question a few of them, but know for a fact #1 is wrong. I raised rats and mice by the hundreds, and when the water line got stopped up, they would be dieing within 3 days.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline The15thMember

• Field Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2019, 02:15:13 pm »
I'm a total random fact junkie, and I'm sorry to say that some of these are false and some are only technically true. 

1. This is technically true.  Rodents get most of their water from their food, so they can go the entire lives without actually performing the act of drinking, but only if they are getting all their water in their food.  If they do not have enough water in their diet, then as iddee mentioned, they die within about 3 days like many mammals. 

2. This one is true.

3.  True.

4. True.

5. This is true, and I did not know this one.  When female ferrets reach sexual maturity, they go into heat indefinitely until they are mated, so if they are never mated, it's very hard on their bodies and can kill them. 

6. This is false and I have no idea how this got started.  All sounds will echo given the proper conditions. 

7. True. 

8. This one seems to be debatable and I've never seen Ben-Hur, so I can't personally comment or speculate.   

9. This doesn't seem provable or not, but a disturbing prospect.  I'm definitely having all my kids at home.  :wink:  :cheesy:

10. False.  This came from some sort of political scandal in the 70's. 

11. The idea here is true, but from what I'm seeing they were made of plaster in the 40s, not wood.

12. I'm bad with math, so I can't really check this one. 

13. True.

14. The first sentence of this is sort of true, but the second sentence is false.  J.M. Barrie who wrote Peter Pan came up with the name because the little daughter of a friend of his couldn't say her R's, and she called him her "fwiendy-wendy" (friendy-wendy).  The name did exist prior, although it was pretty rare, and it was the diminutive nickname for the Welsh name Gwendolyn.

15. False, and probably stems from a misquote.  The Berlin Zoo had 9 elephants and all but one were killed in the bombings, 1 in 1940 and the rest in 1944, all females, leaving lone bull elephant Siam alone in his enclosure. 

16. False.  Scorpions are immune to their own venom. 

17. True. 

18. True.

19. False.  The word "butterfly" is actually very old and dates to about 1000 AD. 

20. False.  This phrase comes from measuring by the parts of the body back before standardized measuring tools were available.

21. True.

22. Uh, I guess true.  I mean, some purples look bluer to people than others.  And there are lots of colors of violets, so I'm not really sure what this sentence is trying to say, but whatever.

23. True.

24. False.  I didn't have time to get into the science on this one, because it's really in depth, but definitely not true. 

25. True.

26. True.

27. True.  (If you are talking only about Doyle's original materials obviously.) 

28. True.

29. I can't seem to find an answer on this one.  Some people say yes and some say no.  The biggest issue is that there aren't really lick and stick stamps anymore, so if it was true it isn't anymore.

30. True.

31. This is sort of true.  "Flatulence-high" foods :cheesy: were prohibited for astronauts for a long time, but as far as damage to the spacesuits, I can't find any reference to that.  The issue was the potential fire hazard from increased methane.   

32. False. 

Thanks for posting this though.  I had a blast and a half fact-checking it all morning.   :grin:
« Last Edit: September 05, 2019, 10:41:12 am by The15thMember »
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline CoolBees

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2019, 05:02:59 pm »
Jim - I think you successfully kept Member out of trouble all morning!  :cheesy:  :cool:
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline The15thMember

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2019, 06:40:32 pm »
Jim - I think you successfully kept Member out of trouble all morning!  :cheesy:  :cool:
Hahaha!  :cheesy:
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline jvalentour

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2019, 11:56:12 pm »
Me too.

Offline van from Arkansas

• Field Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2019, 05:04:27 pm »
Cool, how funny!

Member is very detailed, above most for sure.  I have posted questions on this forum about an object insect, flower, whatever,  Then presented my understood details and Member text back; replies with the genus and species name usually accompanied by a photo.  A detailed Lady, an asset to the forum.
Blessings
Van

BTW: does Wilbur buy silver? 
Bless the Beekeepers.  Dealing with venomous insects takes courage, patience, dedication and a desire to be with nature.

Offline The15thMember

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2019, 12:13:20 am »
Cool, how funny!

Member is very detailed, above most for sure.  I have posted questions on this forum about an object insect, flower, whatever,  Then presented my understood details and Member text back; replies with the genus and species name usually accompanied by a photo.  A detailed Lady, an asset to the forum.
Blessings
Van

BTW: does Wilbur buy silver? 
Thank you so much for the compliments, Mr. Van. It has truly been my pleasure to help you out.  :happy: