Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Out of the bee business  (Read 272 times)

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
Out of the bee business
« on: August 31, 2019, 03:30:18 pm »
I?m very sad to say I am out of the beekeeping business as of last night.  We recently had a huge storm covering much of Dallas, with high winds and tons of hail.  Almost every house in the path of the storm had roof damage, including my own.  Since my two hives were within a few feet of my home, the bees were going to be a major problem for the people replacing the roof, so there was no way to keep the hivss on my small city lot. 

The girls are now happily situated on 20 acres near the Texas-Oklahoma state line.  I?ll be mentoring the new beekeeper, whose ambition is to have at least 10 hives by this time next year.  My plan is to switch to top bar beekeeping because my age and such have made dealing with Langstroth hives impractical.  That is assuming I?m strong enough next spring to work even a TBH.

I?ll continue on the forum, but after eight years of being a beekeeper, I?ll be a wannabee keeper.  LOL
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Online Ben Framed

• Super Bee
  • North Mississippi
Re: Out of the bee business
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2019, 05:43:15 pm »
I?m very sad to say I am out of the beekeeping business as of last night.  We recently had a huge storm covering much of Dallas, with high winds and tons of hail.  Almost every house in the path of the storm had roof damage, including my own.  Since my two hives were within a few feet of my home, the bees were going to be a major problem for the people replacing the roof, so there was no way to keep the hivss on my small city lot. 

The girls are now happily situated on 20 acres near the Texas-Oklahoma state line.  I?ll be mentoring the new beekeeper, whose ambition is to have at least 10 hives by this time next year.  My plan is to switch to top bar beekeeping because my age and such have made dealing with Langstroth hives impractical.  That is assuming I?m strong enough next spring to work even a TBH.

I?ll continue on the forum, but after eight years of being a beekeeper, I?ll be a wannabee keeper.  LOL

Dallas I want to commend you for your kind and selfless act toward the new beekeeper.  I am hoping this move will bring you much joy and fellowship with your beginner beekeeping friend. Also I?m Wishing you the best with not only your top bar hive but your health as well my friend.
Phillip .

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2019, 07:12:35 pm »
Thank you, Phillip.  I seem to recall when you first came onto this forum you were a new beekeeper or just preparing to get bees.  I hope my friend progresses as fast as you seem to have done, from knowing little to being an accomplished beekeeper.  Of course, both you and I are still beginners learning from people like Iddee, Michael Bush, Sawdust and others.   Best of everything to you, my friend.
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Practicing non intervention beekeeping
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2019, 08:36:23 pm »
I hope you do stay Dallas.  I think most beekeepers like talking about bees as much as having them.  I do anyway.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline sawdstmakr

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2019, 09:22:44 pm »
Dallas,
I too hope you stay. Sorry you had to remove your hives.
Jim Altmiller

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2019, 11:39:12 am »
Brian and Jim

First off, I'll be thinking of you two and all the other folks in Florida as Dorian approaches.  Personally, after going through one hurricane on the Texas Gulf coast that was nowhere near as bad as this category 5 monster, I'd be in Tennessee about now if I were you guys.

Oh, yes, I'll stay on the forum.  I even plan to write something about the drama of getting the hives moved.

I already have a TBH constructed and waiting for paint and placement when I'm strong enough to work with bees again, so I will be studying TBH management topics on Beemaster.com with special interest.  It will be a whole new experience, like being a new beekeeper again.  Besides, I don't want to miss any of Iddee's jokes or his and your verbal sparring, Brian.

Gary

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Practicing non intervention beekeeping
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2019, 08:40:23 am »
Stay tuned Gary...
My brother has a motor home in Myrtle Beach.  I have been trying to convince him to go to Tennessee because Dorian is headed for SC.   At this point they are predicting rain, beach errosion and flooding.  Nothing like the Bahamas.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Online van from Arkansas

• Queen Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2019, 04:50:38 pm »
Dallas, just temporary.  In the future, maybe years, maybe decades, you just might find some beehives.  Sorry about the storm but I admire you gift.
Blessings
Bless the Beekeepers.  Dealing with venomous insects takes courage, patience, dedication and a desire to be with nature.