Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Mason jar external beetle trap  (Read 657 times)

Offline bobll

• House Bee
Re: Mason jar external beetle trap
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2019, 06:26:18 pm »
Jim. The crazy thing is that when I moved all the frames into the new box, I saw just 1 or 2 beetles, when there were lots the week before. Almost like they kicked them out.

Online Ben Framed

• Super Bee
  • North Mississippi
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2019, 07:47:52 am »
Jim. The crazy thing is that when I moved all the frames into the new box, I saw just 1 or 2 beetles, when there were lots the week before. Almost like they kicked them out.

This may not be good, did you look very closely in your empty comb. The beetles might have already escaped into your hive area. Most likely this is where you will find them. You may see one or two at first appearing and disappearing as they move up and down and as you keep observing, you realize your empty comb is infested. Ask me how I know. I learned this last season.

Online Ben Framed

• Super Bee
  • North Mississippi
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2019, 07:52:53 am »
Quoting Joe D
?Bob, sorry I don't get on here very much, but the reason I quit using the pan in the TB hive, I have no proof but I think a man with ATT was going to run a telephone line close to my hives, this one was the closest and was sprayed all bees were dead in hive or on ground next to hive.  the next year a swarm moved in and within 2 days they were dead also.  I did away with the hive.  Like Jim said I never had trouble with the bees messing with the hardware cloth, # 8.    If I got a real bad case of shb's  I have in the past put a CD case or 2 in the hive.  put some butter flavored Crisco in the center, get some combat roach poison, it comes in a syringe, phimpronil probably  spelled wrong.  been a long time since I used it, but can help if they get bad.  You put a small line of it around the dab of Crisco.  The shbs love the Crisco will get in go through the roach poison and will die.  I did put a few extra holes in the side of the case with a hot ice pick. not big enough for a bee.  I just done this if had lots of shbs, until they were manageable.
Good luck to you and your bees,
Joe D?

Thanks Joe for taking the time of your in-depth post.
Phillip