Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: An old post sent out as a reminder . .  (Read 509 times)

Offline iddee

• Galactic Bee
An old post sent out as a reminder . .
« on: July 05, 2019, 08:24:55 am »

An old post sent out as a reminder .  . 

Have you ever wondered what happened to the 56 men who signed the Declaration of Independence?

Five signers were captured by the British as traitors,
            and tortured before they died.

Twelve had their homes ransacked and burned.
            Two lost their sons serving in the Revolutionary Army;
            another had two sons captured.

Nine of the 56 fought and died from wounds or
            hardships of the Revolutionary War.

They signed and they pledged their lives, their fortunes,
            and their sacred honor.

What kind of men were they?

Twenty-four were lawyers and jurists.
            Eleven were merchants,
            nine were farmers and large plantation owners; men of means, well educated,
            but they signed the Declaration of Independence knowing full well that the penalty would be death if they were captured.

Carter Braxton of Virginia, a wealthy planter and trader, saw his ships swept from the seas by the British Navy. He sold his home and properties to pay his debts, and died in rags.

Thomas McKeam was so hounded by the British that he was forced to move his family almost constantly. He served in the Congress without pay, and his family
            was kept in hiding. His possessions were taken from him, and poverty was his reward.

Vandals or soldiers looted the properties of Dillery, Hall, Clymer, Walton, Gwinnett, Heyward, Ruttledge, and Middleton.

At the battle of Yorktown, Thomas Nelson, Jr., noted that the British General Cornwallis had taken over the Nelson home for his headquarters. He quietly urged General George Washington to open fire. The home was destroyed,
            and Nelson died bankrupt.

Francis Lewis had his home and properties destroyed. The enemy jailed his wife, and she died within a few months.

John Hart was driven from his wife's bedside as she was dying. Their 13 children fled for their lives. His fields and his gristmill were laid to waste. For more than a year he lived in forests and caves, returning home to find his wife dead and his children vanished.

So, take a few minutes while enjoying your 4th of July holiday and silently thank these patriots. It's not much to ask for the price they paid.

Remember: freedom is never free!

I hope you will show your support by sending this to as many people as you can, please. It's time we get the word out that patriotism is NOT a sin, and the Fourth of July has more to it than beer, picnics, and baseball games.

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Online sawdstmakr

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: An old post sent out as a reminder . .
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2019, 08:35:30 am »
Iddee,
Thanks for reposting.
Jim Altmiller

Online Ben Framed

• Super Bee
  • North Mississippi
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2019, 09:02:33 am »
Good post iddee, thanks

Offline bobll

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2019, 11:03:10 am »
Very thought provoking. Thanks Iddee.

Offline cidersabuzzin

• Queen Bee
  • vroom... vroom... but more like phut! phut!
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2019, 02:54:44 pm »

An old post sent out as a reminder .  . 

Have you ever wondered what happened to the 56 men who signed the Declaration of Independence?

Five signers were captured by the British as traitors,
            and tortured before they died.

Twelve had their homes ransacked and burned.
            Two lost their sons serving in the Revolutionary Army;
            another had two sons captured.

Nine of the 56 fought and died from wounds or
            hardships of the Revolutionary War.

They signed and they pledged their lives, their fortunes,
            and their sacred honor.

What kind of men were they?

Twenty-four were lawyers and jurists.
            Eleven were merchants,
            nine were farmers and large plantation owners; men of means, well educated,
            but they signed the Declaration of Independence knowing full well that the penalty would be death if they were captured.

Carter Braxton of Virginia, a wealthy planter and trader, saw his ships swept from the seas by the British Navy. He sold his home and properties to pay his debts, and died in rags.

Thomas McKeam was so hounded by the British that he was forced to move his family almost constantly. He served in the Congress without pay, and his family
            was kept in hiding. His possessions were taken from him, and poverty was his reward.

Vandals or soldiers looted the properties of Dillery, Hall, Clymer, Walton, Gwinnett, Heyward, Ruttledge, and Middleton.

At the battle of Yorktown, Thomas Nelson, Jr., noted that the British General Cornwallis had taken over the Nelson home for his headquarters. He quietly urged General George Washington to open fire. The home was destroyed,
            and Nelson died bankrupt.

Francis Lewis had his home and properties destroyed. The enemy jailed his wife, and she died within a few months.

John Hart was driven from his wife's bedside as she was dying. Their 13 children fled for their lives. His fields and his gristmill were laid to waste. For more than a year he lived in forests and caves, returning home to find his wife dead and his children vanished.

So, take a few minutes while enjoying your 4th of July holiday and silently thank these patriots. It's not much to ask for the price they paid.

Remember: freedom is never free!

I hope you will show your support by sending this to as many people as you can, please. It's time we get the word out that patriotism is NOT a sin, and the Fourth of July has more to it than beer, picnics, and baseball games.
PS
But what about the poor British Squadies fighting terrorists 3000 miles from home, very long supply chain, and definitely no air cover! What was the War Department thinking of. :rolleyes: 
What's good for bees is usually good for mankind. Doesn't that mean sharing?

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be, as long as you elect sane politicians who are not embarrassed about their hair" with apologies to SS

Offline CoolBees

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2019, 04:02:57 pm »

PS
But what about the poor British Squadies fighting terrorists 3000 miles from home, very long supply chain, and definitely no air cover! What was the War Department thinking of. :rolleyes:

Let's see, who originally penned "1 man's Terrorist is another man's Freedom Fighter"? ... a British Screen writer I believe  ...  :rolleyes:

A lesson learned from their history mayhaps? ...

Of course - history has since clarified who were the terrorists in that era.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 04:14:14 pm by CoolBees »
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline cidersabuzzin

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2019, 07:30:43 pm »
Some people have no sense of humour, 17 something or other and 'air cover'? :rolleyes: Just a dig at iddee's mawkish rendition. :wink: :cheesy:
cider

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be, as long as you elect sane politicians who are not embarrassed about their hair" with apologies to SS

Offline CoolBees

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2019, 07:59:23 pm »
Some people have no sense of humour, 17 something or other and 'air cover'? :rolleyes: Just a dig at iddee's mawkish rendition. :wink: :cheesy:
cider

:cheesy: :cheesy: :cool: :cool: :shocked: what?! ... it was meant jokingly  :grin: ... musta hit too close to home?  :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: :happy: :embarassed: ... it's all good.  :grin:

And yes - the "aircover" comment was great!
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline iddee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2019, 08:09:39 pm »
Whadda ya mean, no air cover? Air cover is about all they had. Not much armor at all, just the surrounding air.   :tongue:   :cheesy:
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Bushpilot

• New Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2019, 02:01:47 am »
It doesn't read true, much of it isn't.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/the-price-they-paid/

Offline iddee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2019, 07:41:45 am »
BP, read it very carefully. It is a normal snopes liberal sham, like saying a bank robber was known for his many dealings with numerous banks.
They are saying the same thing, but make it sound different. Snopes lost their credibility long ago.

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline cidersabuzzin

• Queen Bee
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2019, 09:41:24 am »
BP, read it very carefully. It is a normal snopes liberal sham, like saying a bank robber was known for his many dealings with numerous banks.
They are saying the same thing, but make it sound different. Snopes lost their credibility long ago.
Ah! the hoary old chestnut, bank robber dealing with banks :rolleyes:
Could you tell us who composed your little homily and more importantly as you disparage Snopes so readily where and by whom was your 'facts' verified?
Don't forget the people who instigate a rebellion always but always embellish their 'history' As they usually say "it was the other guys fault"
Your falling into the Goebbels trap. :rolleyes: :cheesy:

Online Ben Framed

• Super Bee
  • North Mississippi
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2019, 09:56:10 am »

They all were patriots.  Good post iddee, My fellow American I salute you!
Phillip
« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 10:09:55 am by Ben Framed »

Offline iddee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2019, 11:07:36 am »
Cider, are you getting Alzheimer's? I thought you would remember it. You are old enough, aren't you?   :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

*Shel Silverstein*

Online Ben Framed

• Super Bee
  • North Mississippi
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2019, 11:19:22 am »
Cider, are you getting Alzheimer's? I thought you would remember it. You are old enough, aren't you?   :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

Wow, iddee you put a horseshoe in you boxing glove on that one? Goodness!!  :grin:

Offline Bushpilot

• New Bee
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2019, 11:45:47 am »
Did you read it? Where iw it "liberal sham"? How are they "saying the same thing" when they contest many of the facts? Where do they have it wrong?

For example, did Nelson ask that his house be shelled, or it it still standing today? Did Braxton die in rags, or not? Were 5 tortured by the British, or not? Did two lose their sons in the army, or not?

Labels don't help, but truth does.

Offline iddee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2019, 12:37:13 pm »
Yes, I read it. By memory, so not reading it again,. they said 5 did not die in captivity. They did not say they weren't tortured. My post said they were tortured before dieing. It did not say they died in captivity. They admitted to the two sons being killed, just rearranged the circumstances. ETC.ETC.ETC.

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline cidersabuzzin

• Queen Bee
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2019, 01:11:19 pm »

When your on a loser, fall back on diversionary humour. Now back to the question. Who verified the content of your statement and where can we find it? No need to feel ashamed of believing a 'patriotic fairy tale' I suppose every country has it's own. I know we do and they go back a lot further than the 1776s or thereabouts. :grin:
cider OAP

PS; I do believe you're older than me.
PPS; If you believe Alzheimer's is a joking matter, bring it on! I have just lost a friend to it and it ain't no laughing matter. :sad:
PPPS; Why during the Gulf wars were you calling the French "surrender monkeys" when they helped you out in your war of independence? :rolleyes:     

Offline cidersabuzzin

• Queen Bee
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2019, 01:32:23 pm »
Yes, I read it. By memory, so not reading it again,. they said 5 did not die in captivity. They did not say they weren't tortured. My post said they were tortured before dieing. It did not say they died in captivity. They admitted to the two sons being killed, just rearranged the circumstances. ETC.ETC.ETC.
Weren't the two sons in the Militia? Did they not expect they may be killed?  :rolleyes:

Offline iddee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2019, 03:30:40 pm »
"" I suppose every country has it's own. I know we do and they go back a lot further than the 1776s or thereabouts.""
And most or all are based on the truth. They all change a bit with each telling. So none can be proven 100%.

""PS; I do believe you're older than me.""
Probably not. I'm only 132.

I've never heard "surrender monkeys", much less used it. Cowards, maybe??

If you really think I was degrading Alzheimer patients, you may actually have it. I gave you more credit than that.

*Shel Silverstein*