Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Thomas Sowell  (Read 696 times)

Offline kathyp

• Universal Bee
Re: Thomas Sowell
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2019, 12:02:00 pm »
a la Fox News or as Goebbels would probably have said "lies told often enough"......

Lol.  Says the guy who probably watched BBC, which is the Brit version of CNN.   :wink:
They are so divorced from their own interests that even when their own security and that of their children is finally compromised, they do not seek to avert the danger themselves but cross their arms and wait for the nation as a whole to come to their aid. Yet as utterly as they sacrifice their own free will, they are no fonder of obedience than anyone else. They submit, it is true, to the whims of a clerk, but no sooner is force removed than they are glad to defy the law as a defeated enemy. Thus one finds them ever wavering between servitude and license.
Alexis de Tocqueville

Offline CoolBees

• Field Bee
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2019, 12:43:53 pm »
Van, your very kind. I'm in the same boat as you - I never watch TV, or youtube, or anything. My Internet is pretty much limited to Beemaster. I can't take the credit for this post though - I have a great buddy that sends me these things. ... if it weren't for him, I wouldn't find them on my own.

I find that I do like the way Mr Sowell thinks though. I'm glad you liked it.  :grin:

I have a great buddy that sends me these things. ... if it weren't for him, I wouldn't find them on my own.

Is it the same buddy that iddee seems to have? :cheesy:

cider

No Cider, different person. There's more than one good person left in this world.  :cheesy:

The reason I ask is; A few people on here seem to have an 'informing friend' the trouble is to an inveterate sceptic like me, is, are they being fed fake news and passing it on as genuine? a la Fox News or as Goebbels would probably have said "lies told often enough"......

CIDER - I'm "cornfused" (that's a country bumpkin phrase) so I need your help ... you can look up Thomas Sowell's life/thoughts/etc ... so how is this 'fake news'?
I have no quarrel with Mr Sowell's ideas in fact they make eminent sense. Also don't think your some "country bumpkin" but Its your own description and if the label fits! I digress, I was referring to some sheeples having their own personal researchers so maybe taking up the 'researchers opinions/prejudices and thereby wandering into Goebbels territory.
cider

Ahhh ... I think I understand now. Thank you for the clarification. Yes - I agree, definitely need to stay clear of people like that. Lmk if you find one, so I can avoid them too please.

P.S. - I's was raised so fur bick in da sticks, you'dnt belieb it! But i's ben culturd cinse. :cool:
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Online iddee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2019, 02:06:49 pm »
Ya tink ya was back in th' sticks. We was so fur back we had to start ta town on a pregnant mare and ride the colt th rest of th way.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline cidersabuzzin

• Queen Bee
  • vroom... vroom... but more like phut! phut!
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2019, 03:05:05 pm »
Van, your very kind. I'm in the same boat as you - I never watch TV, or youtube, or anything. My Internet is pretty much limited to Beemaster. I can't take the credit for this post though - I have a great buddy that sends me these things. ... if it weren't for him, I wouldn't find them on my own.

I find that I do like the way Mr Sowell thinks though. I'm glad you liked it.  :grin:

I have a great buddy that sends me these things. ... if it weren't for him, I wouldn't find them on my own.

Is it the same buddy that iddee seems to have? :cheesy:

cider

No Cider, different person. There's more than one good person left in this world.  :cheesy:

The reason I ask is; A few people on here seem to have an 'informing friend' the trouble is to an inveterate sceptic like me, is, are they being fed fake news and passing it on as genuine? a la Fox News or as Goebbels would probably have said "lies told often enough"......

CIDER - I'm "cornfused" (that's a country bumpkin phrase) so I need your help ... you can look up Thomas Sowell's life/thoughts/etc ... so how is this 'fake news'?
I have no quarrel with Mr Sowell's ideas in fact they make eminent sense. Also don't think your some "country bumpkin" but Its your own description and if the label fits! I digress, I was referring to some sheeples having their own personal researchers so maybe taking up the 'researchers opinions/prejudices and thereby wandering into Goebbels territory.
cider

Ahhh ... I think I understand now. Thank you for the clarification. Yes - I agree, definitely need to stay clear of people like that. Lmk if you find one, so I can avoid them too please.

P.S. - I's was raised so fur bick in da sticks, you'dnt belieb it! But i's ben culturd cinse. :cool:
Ah! humour, the great diversion. I see you and iddee have both tried it. But it won't wash. If you say you don't watch TV (fake news) don't read newspapers (fake news) except for rightwing sheeple media I suppose you both
need your friendly party news feed. All well and good, your prerogative I'm afraid I still don't buy it.
Watch out for that sneaky Goebbels.   

Your still in the sticks, loving friend
cider

PS; Could the last above be considered diversionary humour?
What's good for bees is usually good for mankind. Doesn't that mean sharing?

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be, as long as you elect sane politicians who are not embarrassed about their hair" with apologies to SS

Offline cidersabuzzin

• Queen Bee
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2019, 03:29:36 pm »
a la Fox News or as Goebbels would probably have said "lies told often enough"......

Lol.  Says the guy who probably watched BBC, which is the Brit version of CNN.   :wink:

Kathy

Where do you get your 'News' from? Please don't tell me its Fox the right wing sheeple news media.

cider

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be, as long as you elect sane politicians who are not embarrassed about their hair" with apologies to SS

Online iddee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2019, 05:41:41 pm »
I think I have figured out Cider. I had a friend once that was a total atheist, but could walk into a church and give as fine a sermon as you have ever heard. I think Cider is a total conservative. He has studied his liberal nemesis so well he can give a perfect comeback in their language that no one would ever guess his real feelings.

OK, Cider, you have been exposed, but you can keep your charade up. We all enjoy it.   :wink:  :cheesy:
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline kathyp

• Universal Bee
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2019, 06:58:51 pm »
Please don't tell me its Fox the right wing sheeple news media.

A variety of sources and I always try to research what I read and hear.  When I read a comment like yours though, I know you have never watched FOX news.  It is hardly right wing.  I do go there when I want leads on both sides of a story, because I know it is the one place that will at least try to present both sides.
Understand, I am not talking about the commentary shows or writers, but those doing the news stories.

It was the people glued to CNN and MSNBC in tears when the promised perp walk of Trump and Family did not materialize.  If they had used other sources for info they would have found that there were good reporters calling the whole investigation into question.  Some of them were on FOX and some were elsewhere, and not all were conservatives.  In fact, some were very left wing, but they smelled the stink of the thing and did honest reporting and research. 
They are so divorced from their own interests that even when their own security and that of their children is finally compromised, they do not seek to avert the danger themselves but cross their arms and wait for the nation as a whole to come to their aid. Yet as utterly as they sacrifice their own free will, they are no fonder of obedience than anyone else. They submit, it is true, to the whims of a clerk, but no sooner is force removed than they are glad to defy the law as a defeated enemy. Thus one finds them ever wavering between servitude and license.
Alexis de Tocqueville

Offline van from Arkansas

• Field Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2019, 11:45:19 pm »
I think I have figured out Cider. I had a friend once that was a total atheist, but could walk into a church and give as fine a sermon as you have ever heard. I think Cider is a total conservative. He has studied his liberal nemesis so well he can give a perfect comeback in their language that no one would ever guess his real feelings.

OK, Cider, you have been exposed, but you can keep your charade up. We all enjoy it.   :wink:  :cheesy:

Good evening Mr. Cider.  I took me a while but I eventually figured out the News Media is about making money.  So how does TV media generate $, simple, increase the ratings, that is the number of viewers.  So how does TV media increase viewers:  scare folks, tell half the story, play the discrimination factor to the max, bias the reporting; create worry, fear, anxiety.

If everyone is happy few folks listen to the news, but place war on the dinner plate and people are starving, HANDS UP was total fake.  People died due to that false reporting.  No matter, say whatever to scare folks as when folks are frightened they listen to the news and viewers means cash in the pockets of TV mega rich.

Most TV stations, CNN, NBC, CBS Fox  are owned by the same folks that own the Washington post, the New York Times, the list goes on and on.

Note:  during the Presidency of OB, I saw an interview by Putin who was warning america that a new Cold War was starting.  This was censored in the US.  I well remember the exact words of Putin trying to reach Americans: the man stated: I DONT KNOW HOW TO REACH OUT TO YOU, USA, ANYMORE.  Not a single major station carried Putin?s reaching out to the American public.  The whole speech was censored and we ended up with the Cold War as OB wanted.

Currently, climate change is a big fear tactic to increase ratings.  Very skewed news
ratings on climate.

So, Mr. Cider, you and your wife of 38 years have a very pleasant evening.
Van
Bless the Beekeepers.  Dealing with venomous insects takes courage, patience, dedication and a desire to be with nature.

Offline cidersabuzzin

• Queen Bee
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2019, 03:00:23 am »

Van

38 years ???

Must have got that off RW sheeple Fox News! Both my Daughters would be a little surprised.

Offline cidersabuzzin

• Queen Bee
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2019, 09:12:56 am »

Good evening Mr. Cider.  I took me a while but I eventually figured out the News Media is about making money.  So how does TV media generate $, simple, increase the ratings, that is the number of viewers.  So how does TV media increase viewers:  scare folks, tell half the story, play the discrimination factor to the max, bias the reporting; create worry, fear, anxiety.

If everyone is happy few folks listen to the news, but place war on the dinner plate and people are starving, HANDS UP was total fake.  People died due to that false reporting.  No matter, say whatever to scare folks as when folks are frightened they listen to the news and viewers means cash in the pockets of TV mega rich.

Most TV stations, CNN, NBC, CBS Fox  are owned by the same folks that own the Washington post, the New York Times, the list goes on and on.

Note:  during the Presidency of OB, I saw an interview by Putin who was warning america that a new Cold War was starting.  This was censored in the US.  I well remember the exact words of Putin trying to reach Americans: the man stated: I DONT KNOW HOW TO REACH OUT TO YOU, USA, ANYMORE.  Not a single major station carried Putin?s reaching out to the American public.  The whole speech was censored and we ended up with the Cold War as OB wanted.

Currently, climate change is a big fear tactic to increase ratings.  Very skewed news
ratings on climate.

Van

How come RW Sheeple Fox News didn't carry the story? Or did they and you 'forgot' to mention?
cider

Offline cidersabuzzin

• Queen Bee
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2019, 06:03:29 am »

Sooo... you have this friend who trawls through all the media you despise to find you snippets of news you 'would approve of'
Do you use twitter, or face book and the like? Now there's a thought.... no fake news there! :rolleyes:
cider