Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Thomas Sowell  (Read 695 times)

Offline CoolBees

• Field Bee
Thomas Sowell
« on: June 26, 2019, 07:40:19 pm »
MANY COLLEGES & UNIVERSITIES ARE OPENLY OPPOSED TO PERMITTING MR. SOWELL TO LECTURE THEIR STUDENTS AND FACULTY;

I WONDER WHY?

Mr. Sowell grew up in Harlem, served in the Marine Corps during Korean War...Graduated Magna Cum Laude from Harvard, Masters from Columbia U...Economist, Social Theorist, Philosopher, Author...Senior Fellow. Hoover Institution, Stanford University...National Humanities Medal...Francis Boyer Award...

... Sowelism's ...

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline CoolBees

• Field Bee
Re: Thomas Sowell
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2019, 07:41:39 pm »
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline CoolBees

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2019, 07:42:18 pm »

Offline CoolBees

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2019, 07:45:12 pm »

Offline sawdstmakr

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2019, 09:34:31 pm »
Good post Alan.
Jim Altmiller

Offline iddee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2019, 09:58:04 pm »
 :beemaster:
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline herbhome

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2019, 01:12:10 am »
Lot of wisdom there!  :smile:
Neill

Offline Ben Framed

• Super Bee
  • North Mississippi
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2019, 02:02:49 am »
I agree with the previous posters, Good Post featuring a man with sound, common sense wisdom, and reasoning. Qualities which are not very popular with the left these days, nor appreciated, so it seems. 

Offline kathyp

• Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2019, 11:45:53 am »
Walter E Williams is good too.  He and Sowell are friends.  Williams still writes columns and you can find them online.
They are so divorced from their own interests that even when their own security and that of their children is finally compromised, they do not seek to avert the danger themselves but cross their arms and wait for the nation as a whole to come to their aid. Yet as utterly as they sacrifice their own free will, they are no fonder of obedience than anyone else. They submit, it is true, to the whims of a clerk, but no sooner is force removed than they are glad to defy the law as a defeated enemy. Thus one finds them ever wavering between servitude and license.
Alexis de Tocqueville

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2019, 02:59:18 pm »
I think Sowell is one of the smartest men who ever lived... certainly one of the most rational.  Read his books.  There are a lot of them and all are very inciteful.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline van from Arkansas

• Field Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2019, 05:56:19 pm »
Mr. Cool, you come up with some good ones as the saying goes.  I think this may be your best post to date.  I am learning as I was not aware of Sowell until now.  Oh don?t be surprised by my ignorance; as I do not watch TV, not a member of twitter nor YouTube or any other social platform except this one.

Thank you Mr. Cool for taking your time to post and enlighten us.
Van
Bless the Beekeepers.  Dealing with venomous insects takes courage, patience, dedication and a desire to be with nature.

Offline CoolBees

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2019, 02:13:26 am »
Mr Bush - I concur with you. We need more people like him, I think.

Offline CoolBees

• Field Bee
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2019, 02:17:51 am »
Van, your very kind. I'm in the same boat as you - I never watch TV, or youtube, or anything. My Internet is pretty much limited to Beemaster. I can't take the credit for this post though - I have a great buddy that sends me these things. ... if it weren't for him, I wouldn't find them on my own.

I find that I do like the way Mr Sowell thinks though. I'm glad you liked it.  :grin:

Offline cidersabuzzin

• Queen Bee
  • vroom... vroom... but more like phut! phut!
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2019, 03:12:30 pm »
Van, your very kind. I'm in the same boat as you - I never watch TV, or youtube, or anything. My Internet is pretty much limited to Beemaster. I can't take the credit for this post though - I have a great buddy that sends me these things. ... if it weren't for him, I wouldn't find them on my own.

I find that I do like the way Mr Sowell thinks though. I'm glad you liked it.  :grin:

I have a great buddy that sends me these things. ... if it weren't for him, I wouldn't find them on my own.

Is it the same buddy that iddee seems to have? :cheesy:

cider
What's good for bees is usually good for mankind. Doesn't that mean sharing?

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be, as long as you elect sane politicians who are not embarrassed about their hair" with apologies to SS

Offline CoolBees

• Field Bee
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2019, 04:57:53 pm »

I have a great buddy that sends me these things. ... if it weren't for him, I wouldn't find them on my own.

cider

No Cider, different person. There's more than one good person left in this world.  :cheesy:

Offline sawdstmakr

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2019, 05:54:49 pm »
No Cider, different person. There's more than one good person left in this world.  :cheesy:

:cheesy:
Jim Altmiller

Offline cidersabuzzin

• Queen Bee
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2019, 08:12:15 pm »

cider

The reason I ask is; A few people on here seem to have an 'informing friend' the trouble is to an inveterate sceptic like me, is, are they being fed fake news and passing it on as genuine? a la Fox News or as Goebbels would probably have said "lies told often enough"......
« Last Edit: June 28, 2019, 08:44:02 pm by cidersabuzzin »

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be, as long as you elect sane politicians who are not embarrassed about their hair" with apologies to SS

Offline iddee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2019, 09:32:44 pm »
No, Cider, I don't get my info from CNN, so it's very little if any fake news. It only seems that way to you sheeple who have had the opposite crammed at you over and over until you believe it.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline CoolBees

• Field Bee
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2019, 11:13:18 pm »

cider

The reason I ask is; A few people on here seem to have an 'informing friend' the trouble is to an inveterate sceptic like me, is, are they being fed fake news and passing it on as genuine? a la Fox News or as Goebbels would probably have said "lies told often enough"......

CIDER - I'm "cornfused" (that's a country bumpkin phrase) so I need your help ... you can look up Thomas Sowell's life/thoughts/etc ... so how is this 'fake news'?

Offline cidersabuzzin

• Queen Bee
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2019, 05:07:48 am »

cider

CIDER - I'm "cornfused" (that's a country bumpkin phrase) so I need your help ... you can look up Thomas Sowell's life/thoughts/etc ... so how is this 'fake news'?
I have no quarrel with Mr Sowell's ideas in fact they make eminent sense. Also don't think your some "country bumpkin" but Its your own description and if the label fits! I digress, I was referring to some sheeples having their own personal researchers so maybe taking up the 'researchers opinions/prejudices and thereby wandering into Goebbels territory.
cider