Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: They Shall Not Grow Old  (Read 2433 times)

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
They Shall Not Grow Old
« on: March 30, 2019, 02:22:30 pm »
This is an amazing documentary film by Peter Jackson, who made the Lord of the Rings trilogy.  He had access to a lot of 100-year-old film that he restored and colorized so that it looked like it had been made yesterday.  After the movie, Jackson spent about a half hour telling/showing how the film was restored.  The original film lacked sound, but in some cases lip readers were able to tell what was being said and it was dubbed in. 

All in all, this was a better movie than most of the stuff up for Academy Awards.

"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Re: They Shall Not Grow Old
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2019, 09:16:19 am »
I saw an ad for this a few months ago. I thought it looked so cool, and then I promptly forgot all about it. Thanks for reminding me! 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
Re: They Shall Not Grow Old
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2019, 02:08:31 pm »
You are welcome.  Enjoy it if you can still find it in a theater.  I guess it will be available at Redbox or to stream somewhere, but big screen would be better to do the film justice.  Be prepared to have the end-title song running through your head for a while (Hinky Dinky Parlez Vous?- I won?t attempt the real title of the song).
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944