Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bad Luck  (Read 114 times)

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Bad Luck
« on: March 21, 2019, 11:31:15 am »
"Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded--here and there, now and then--are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty. This is known as "bad luck."--Robert Heinlein, Lazarus Long

A poor farmer's horse ran off into the country of the barbarians.  All his neighbors offered their condolences, but the man said "how do you know this isn't good fortune?"
After a few months the horse returned with a barbarian horse of excellent stock.  All his neighbors offered their congratulations, but the man said, "How do you know this isn't a disaster?"
The two horses bred, and the family became rich in fine horses.  The farmer's son spent much of his time riding them; one day he fell off and broke his hipbone.
All his neighbors offered the farmer their condolences, but his father said, "How do you know that this isn't good fortune?" 
Another year passed and the barbarians invaded the frontier.  All the able-bodied young men were conscripted and nine-tenths of them died in the war.  Thus good fortune can be disaster and vice versa.  Who can tell how events will be transformed.

"I notice the harder I work the better my luck" based on 16th century proverb: "Diligence is the mother of good luck."
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin