Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Francis Huber  (Read 122 times)

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Francis Huber
« on: March 21, 2019, 11:24:39 am »
"At all times practice had preceded theory; it is success which leads to the discovery of the truths upon which it is founded, and the knowledge of those truths in its turn insures the wavering advance of the cultivators"--Fracis Huber, New Observations Upon Bees Volume II, Chapter X

Letters of Huber:

"Wooden triangles, mentioned formerly, had been glued at their extremities under the horizontal ceiling and had supplied the bees with all the supports which appeared necessary to their combs"

"Our attentions may be useful to them but are oftener noxious to them; thus far goes our interference."--Francis Huber (undedited letters of Huber)

"Miss De Vegobre, who allowed me to talk to her of everything that interested me, said to me one day that it would not be very difficult to have bees sent to us from Guadalupe, to compare them with ours and see through this first observation whether the ones were similar to the others and might have originated from the same country. Thanks to this good friend, few months were required, by the person who accepted the trust, to bring to me in Geneva a few hundred bees taken at the entrance of Guadaloupe hives and which turned out to be in every part similar to those of our own hives. It is on that account that I thought I might hope that Mexican honeybees could be brought here as readily as those of Europe had been imported to America. To make sure of it, however, it was necessary to make the test. I trust for this in the young observers who may feel the need of it."--Huber, in a letter to Elisa

"...without the foresight, or rather the astonishing presence of mind of the bees, who always do at the proper time what needs to be done..."--Huber in a letter to Elisa on Swarming

Comb guides, L.L. Langstroth's comments on Huber's letter of January 20, 1801:

"The method employed by Huber of fastening his guide combs by small pegs, was far inferior to the subsequent device of securing them by melted wax, or a composition of melted rosin and beeswax.
The Abbe Della Rocco, whose work on bees in three volumes (Traite complet sur les abeilles) was published in 1790, used at first methods still ruder than those of Huber.  His recommending the placing of a sharp angled edge on the under side of his bars would seem to be an anticipation in the date of publishment at least, of the device of the celebrated English surgeon, John Hunters, who in a memoir read in 1792 before the London Royal Philosophical Society, advised the use of a salient angle or beveled edge, to induce bees to build their combs in any desired direction."--L.L. Langstroth ABJ Vol VIII No. 1 July 1872 edition

Noise of wax making:

"Your ear pressed consecutively against the glass partition of either hive would perceive a sound resembling a sort of chattering produced by the jaws of the workers occupied with the preparatory work of their architecture, a work which is performed upon beeswax only."--Huber in a letter to Elisa on Swarming, August 10, 1831

"I could not see what was going on within my hive, but its opaque sides did not prevent me from hearing very distinctly the noise or cracking sound, which the bees make when they are constructing comb."--Huber in a letter to To. C.F. Petitpierre, Ouchy, October, 12, 1800 published in ABJ Volume VIII No 2, August 1872 titled: Unedited Letters of Huber
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin