Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Mike Rowe  (Read 160 times)

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Mike Rowe
« on: March 21, 2019, 10:04:37 am »
"If we're lending money that we don't have, to kids who really have no hope of paying it back, in order to train them for jobs that clearly don't exist, I might suggest that we've gone around the bend."--Mike Rowe

"There is a real disconnect in the way that we educate vis-a-vis the opportunities that are available. You have--right now--about 3 million jobs that can't be filled," he says, talking about openings in traditional trades ranging from construction to welding to plumbing. "Jobs that typically parents' don't sit down with their kids and say, 'Look, if all goes well, this is what you are going to do.'"--Mike Rowe

"A good welder right now can pretty much write his or her own ticket.  Companies like Caterpillar, Bechtel,--you can go down the list--they have had open shortages for decades and so--you know, I talked to a kid the other day up in Butler, North Dakota.  So it's Butler, right, it's cold.  But he works on heavy equipment up there and--over a hundred bucks an hour, work when he wants, paid for his house in cash, raising a family, no debt.  People don't tell his story."--Mike Rowe

"Work smart AND hard"--Mike Rowe

"Safety is job three"--Mike Rowe

"Safety third"--Mike Rowe

"The cost of a degree--and this I do know because I've read it in several reputable sources--has increased over 500 times the rate of inflation since the mid 80's.  Five hundred the rate of inflation.  Nothing else comes close.  Not even health care.  Health care is like two fifty to sixty.  So this thing is an outlier.  This thing--the cost of this thing--has so exponentially, I can't believe it's not daily headline news.  Imagine any other commodity at that rate and think for a minute too, you know--I get it.  Education is hugely important.  That if there's only one thing that's more important than education, maybe, maybe health and fitness."--Mike Rowe

My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline sawdstmakr

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Mike Rowe
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2019, 10:35:29 pm »
Michael,
You have to finish the Safety is job three. Oh so true.
Jim Altmiller