Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: A gift that keeps on giving  (Read 4805 times)

Offline blackforest beekeeper

• Field Bee
Re: A gift that keeps on giving
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2019, 05:54:59 am »
Thanks, Sybille.

Was it a problem to get the permit? I applied, but no response yet.
can you fire pepper-rounds legally in self-defense?

Offline SiWolKe

• House Bee
    • www.VivaBiene.de
« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2019, 06:35:00 am »
Thanks, Sybille.

You need a "polizeiliches F?hrungszeugnis" to purchase it.
You need a safe to store it at home, so your kids can?t take it.
I can take it with me in a handbag and hidden in my car, but I can?t show it. The pistol looks like a real one and police might react defensive. A problem with fireworks too, so I never show it around.
I can place it openly in my home when I?m at home.
I can use it in self defense in my home with pepper spray and do not have to speak a warning.
I can defend myself in public but have to speak a warning first ( which I will not do if I fear assault).

Offline Ben Framed

• Super Bee
  • North Mississippi
« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2019, 08:26:16 am »
Sybille I am sorry for you that your childhood was horrible!! Is this a common occurrence in Germany with rich and poor families alike?  Their is so much about my country that you do not understand so so different. As well as so much about other countries that I can not understand.  What kind of dogs do or did you train? I trained horses and dogs, stock dogs. I once was blessed with a GERMAN SHEPARD puppy. And not just any German Shepard puppy but from special stock. Their is a man that has training for navy seals who is close to my location . My cousin had a female German Shepard that was introduced, bred to  one of his "war" dogs. I received one of these puppies! He was built like "Bullet" on the old Roy Rogers re-run tv show. Do you know this show in Germany? This dog Tazz was So smart! He would follow hand signals as far away as he could see me. He and I could be a mile away from the barn and tell him Tazz, truck. He would be in the back of the truck waiting for me when I arrived back at the barn even if was a hour later, that I returned with one of the colts. It is my opinion, that training dogs is a gift from God. If a person can communicate with animals, who can not talk, then surely a person should be able to communicate with people who can? But I will confess Sometimes I prefer the animals!! Hee hee

• Field Bee
« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2019, 09:20:49 am »
Thanks, Sybille.

You need a "polizeiliches F?hrungszeugnis" to purchase it.
You need a safe to store it at home, so your kids can?t take it.
I can take it with me in a handbag and hidden in my car, but I can?t show it. The pistol looks like a real one and police might react defensive. A problem with fireworks too, so I never show it around.
I can place it openly in my home when I?m at home.
I can use it in self defense in my home with pepper spray and do not have to speak a warning.
I can defend myself in public but have to speak a warning first ( which I will not do if I fear assault).

I called the office today and they will get the f?hrungszeugnis themselves.
which kind of gun did you get?

Online iddee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2019, 10:25:33 am »
Don't you think you should start another thread to discuss this?
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Practicing non intervention beekeeping
« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2019, 10:46:39 am »
Now you know most about me. Thank you kindly for listening.
Oh how this brings tears to my eyes.  By comparison I was born from a very rich family who could barely "stay ahead of the sheriff" (an expression that means financially barely making it).  We were showered with love, had a very nice house to live in, hand built by my father, and plenty of good food.  I was a pudgy kid back then and was noted as the last to leave the dinner table.  It did not come without reprimands when I was bad or helping out when work was required.  There was no sitting around in the house.  That was a sure way of getting more chores.  My mother was a naturally born boss who never made it out of high school but surely knew how to get things done.  She could have been an executive at Macy's.
Sybille, it is my belief that it was the state education that saved you and allowed you to break away from the life you once had.  This is why I believe that education should be 100% federal with absolutely no difference between one school and another no matter what location it is in.  I doubt if I will every see it.  I also believe you should earn the right to be in school based on effort not grades.  If you don't apply yourself then you are out of school and go to work (voluntary or involuntary).  Simple as that.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Ben Framed

• Super Bee
  • North Mississippi
« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2019, 11:05:03 am »
Don't you think you should start another thread to discuss this?

Good point iddee maybe  titled " Early life experiences & the art of Dog 🐶 training"
Let's find  some humor.. if humor can be found .... 😊😁. As Mr Roark would say smiles everyone, smiles!! I'm sure you love your dogs  Sybille as do I.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 12:00:15 pm by Ben Framed »

Offline Ben Framed

• Super Bee
  • North Mississippi
« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2019, 11:15:08 am »
@ Ace.  Per my last post let's find some humor if humor can be found.. So, By the way Brian, I added a little to iddee's poem under the humor section. I hope you or iddee don't mind....
phillip
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 11:48:52 am by Ben Framed »

Offline kathyp

• Universal Bee
« Reply #48 on: January 24, 2019, 11:30:17 am »
If it is really true what you say: the state keeping out of your life: great! I am envious.

Don't be too envious.  Our federal government has become more and more intrusive.  The more they give the more they control.  States do things like zoning and building permits.  Some are good about it and some are very restrictive.  Because we have 50 states, we have 50 places to go if we don't like what our state is doing.  This was the design.  Each state could do what its own people wanted.  There is very little the federal government is supposed to do, but they have long ago gone past that boundary. 

You got to pay taxes, too?
How high is VAT, by the way?

We pay taxes too.  We have no VAT tax which is a +.  We pay federal taxes and state taxes.  State taxes vary from state to state. 

From my childhood experience I promised to myself never to be tight-fisted and always learn about people first before judging them.
It made me a strange person, I admit. But I?m rather proud I never submitted and stayed empathic.

I find that people who have experience poverty tend to be the most generous.  But again, it is a choice.  I also find that most of the wealthy people I have known here, are generous.  I have done disaster relief for years and a lot of it is funded, especially locally, by very wealthy people who don't even want to be known.
I took a gazillionaire out on disaster runs with me, but I was sworn to silence about who he was.  He wanted to see what we did, but didn't want people to know he was donating money and supplies. 
They are so divorced from their own interests that even when their own security and that of their children is finally compromised, they do not seek to avert the danger themselves but cross their arms and wait for the nation as a whole to come to their aid. Yet as utterly as they sacrifice their own free will, they are no fonder of obedience than anyone else. They submit, it is true, to the whims of a clerk, but no sooner is force removed than they are glad to defy the law as a defeated enemy. Thus one finds them ever wavering between servitude and license.
Alexis de Tocqueville

Offline SiWolKe

• House Bee
    • www.VivaBiene.de
« Reply #49 on: January 24, 2019, 12:12:17 pm »
I do not want to talk about guns anymore.

I only talked about my life because I do not want you to see me as a spoiled brat who wants to distribute money taken from tax payers.

With us it is not so common to donate a lot. The rich people hide their fortunes and accumulate them. They stay among each other.
I?ve met rich persons accumulating all money on their bank account and living like antisocial elements always complaining about life and envying everyone.
There is a saying in Germany: "sparen lernt man von den Reichen" ( you learn saving from the rich)
I call them Dagobert Duck People.

Phillip, a word about dog training: it was behavioral therapy and I saw a lot of kids getting massive bites from dogs.
I understood the dogs more than the people who did not set limits on them. No one really dangerous, they were made dangerous.
I pitied them so much I stopped training. I could not sleep at night thinking about their fates. Some were euthanized. Pitied the kids too.

Offline kathyp

• Universal Bee
« Reply #50 on: January 24, 2019, 12:46:57 pm »
With us it is not so common to donate a lot. The rich people hide their fortunes and accumulate them. They stay among each other.
I?ve met rich persons accumulating all money on their bank account and living like antisocial elements always complaining about life and envying everyone.
There is a saying in Germany: "sparen lernt man von den Reichen" ( you learn saving from the rich)
I call them Dagobert Duck People.

Maybe it's a cultural thing.  Here it seems more an ideology thing.  People who believe the government should take care of things by way of taxes don't feel the need to either donate or volunteer as much.  What many of our rich people do is set up foundations.  Those foundations do charity work and they are tax protected.  What is funny about those people is that most of them want the government to do more, but they keep their money away from the government in private charity foundations.  They could voluntarily pay more taxes if they really believed the government would do a better job!   :grin:
They are so divorced from their own interests that even when their own security and that of their children is finally compromised, they do not seek to avert the danger themselves but cross their arms and wait for the nation as a whole to come to their aid. Yet as utterly as they sacrifice their own free will, they are no fonder of obedience than anyone else. They submit, it is true, to the whims of a clerk, but no sooner is force removed than they are glad to defy the law as a defeated enemy. Thus one finds them ever wavering between servitude and license.
Alexis de Tocqueville

Offline SiWolKe

• House Bee
    • www.VivaBiene.de
« Reply #51 on: January 24, 2019, 12:53:51 pm »
Kathyp,
your contributions are great! Thanks!

Offline CoolBees

• Field Bee
« Reply #52 on: January 24, 2019, 04:06:00 pm »
When the government uses taxes for charities they are taking the money at the point of a gun. If you do not believe that, don?t pay your taxes and you will receive a visit by an armed policeman.
Jim

Exactly correct.
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline CoolBees

• Field Bee
« Reply #53 on: January 24, 2019, 04:30:02 pm »
... This is why I believe that education should be 100% federal with absolutely no difference between one school and another no matter what location it is in.   ...

Ace - I'd be curious to hear you explain why you think this.

The needs of kids vary -the Brightest kids need an entirely different education than the Average .i.q, and the Challenged have their own varying needs that reasonably should be met.

Some need emphasis on arts, others on mechanics - trades, etc, and some on management and finance.

These needs change based on location and background also (farming communities, vs metropolis).

There's only 1 place that you can make everyone "equal" - that place is "Rock Bottom". Individuals can always be "brought down", but there are some that can't be scraped off "The Bottom" with a spoon. Thus, the only place equality can be achieved.

Why would you think every school needs to be a Carbon Copy of the next? Just curious. ...

Alan
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Ben Framed

• Super Bee
  • North Mississippi
« Reply #54 on: January 24, 2019, 10:58:50 pm »
SiWolKe
''Phillip, a word about dog training: it was behavioral therapy and I saw a lot of kids getting massive bites from dogs.
I understood the dogs more than the people who did not set limits on them. No one really dangerous, they were made dangerous.
I pitied them so much I stopped training. I could not sleep at night thinking about their fates. Some were euthanized. Pitied the kids too''

I understand what you are talking about. Once I got a call form a family of two small children, This family had raised a Australian Blue Heeler. Beautiful dog. This type dog makes great stock dog and good friend! The family children were young and small for this dog. Constantly, these children would pick him up by his head, his ear, causing pain for this puppy. As he grew older, he slowly became defensive, until one day, he had, had enough of humans. He hated humans! All of his life,  all he had known was abuse. The family had taken him to the pound, (SHELTER), but the dog was classified as an aggressive vicious dog and the Animal Shelter, after evaluating him, said he would not be put up for adoption, but euthanized. The Mom and Dad did not want to see the dog put to sleep. I was called. I took the dog and could not touch him or pet him. He meant business! The dad put my collar on him and slowly gingerly put him into he carrying kennel.  All the while the dog was growling at the dad, lips quivering, teeth flashing!! I knew I had my hands full! This animal was so beautiful!! Yet he was sentenced to death row! I was the only hope left for him. I desperately wanted to save him, to become friends with him. Each day before going to work I would go the him, talk to him, offer to him kind affection. Feed him from my hand, all the while he would growl at me and show his teeth even while eating from my hand.  Nothing kind to him seemed to work. No matter how kind, how concerned for him I was, he hated me!  After two weeks, of doing all possible to gain his trust, his friendship their was no change for the good.  I would sit down just out of his reach  and talk to him, no good came of it. His mind was made up, all mankind was his enemy. One day I came home form work and a big tree limb had fallen form a tree into his gracious yard, he had a really nice dog house. plenty of room plenty of shade etc.  Anyway one day I came home and a  limb had fallen form the tree and was tangled up in his chain! I said boy you need help. Now I am your friend. I am going to reach down and slowly untangle you. Do not bite me boy.  I reached down slowly, easily touched his head to pet. As every other time he growled, showing his teeth, with lips quivering. I could feel the tenseness in his feel. He was ready and willing to bite me, this I knew. I also knew he needed help so  I said , boy I am your friend. I am here to help you. I am trying to save your life from death row. Now don't bite me boy. I reached to untangle the chain and he attacked me.. He had my hand and meant business. I still have the scars!  My patience had ran out. Kindness or goodness didn't work with him and was either save him or let them kill him. So what did I do?  If you are interested tell me so and I will tell you the rest. I am tired and worn out as my Daddy is very sick in the hospital and I have been back and forth doing all I can to to help him. Going to bed.
Phillip

Offline SiWolKe

• House Bee
    • www.VivaBiene.de
« Reply #55 on: January 25, 2019, 06:22:57 am »
Phillip, I pm-ed you. Did you get the message?
My prayers go out to your dad. Best to you.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 06:36:24 am by SiWolKe »

Online iddee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #56 on: January 25, 2019, 07:13:05 am »
Ben, it's your business what you do, but it would not take a minute to write "He finally came around", or "He never came around". If you ever leave a post dangling like that again, I will block you and never read another of your posts.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

• Field Bee
« Reply #57 on: January 25, 2019, 07:56:52 am »
If it is really true what you say: the state keeping out of your life: great! I am envious.

Don't be too envious.  Our federal government has become more and more intrusive.  The more they give the more they control.  States do things like zoning and building permits.  Some are good about it and some are very restrictive.  Because we have 50 states, we have 50 places to go if we don't like what our state is doing.  This was the design.  Each state could do what its own people wanted.  There is very little the federal government is supposed to do, but they have long ago gone past that boundary. 

You got to pay taxes, too?
How high is VAT, by the way?

We pay taxes too.  We have no VAT tax which is a +.  We pay federal taxes and state taxes.  State taxes vary from state to state. 

From my childhood experience I promised to myself never to be tight-fisted and always learn about people first before judging them.
It made me a strange person, I admit. But I?m rather proud I never submitted and stayed empathic.

I find that people who have experience poverty tend to be the most generous.  But again, it is a choice.  I also find that most of the wealthy people I have known here, are generous.  I have done disaster relief for years and a lot of it is funded, especially locally, by very wealthy people who don't even want to be known.
I took a gazillionaire out on disaster runs with me, but I was sworn to silence about who he was.  He wanted to see what we did, but didn't want people to know he was donating money and supplies.

I thougth there were taxes on goods you purchased? I remember taxes being even different from one county to the next?

Offline Ben Framed

• Super Bee
  • North Mississippi
« Reply #58 on: January 25, 2019, 08:09:25 am »
Phillip, I pm-ed you. Did you get the message?
My prayers go out to your dad. Best to you.

Thanks SiWolke, no I have not yet read your PM yet but will now, I'm running from here to there and everywhere in between 😊. Once I arrive at the hospital and get settled in I will answer you. Thank you for your kindness and concern at a time like this. Thank you for your prayers, much needed and appreciated.
Phillip

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Practicing non intervention beekeeping
« Reply #59 on: January 25, 2019, 08:28:25 am »
The needs of kids vary -the Brightest kids need an entirely different education than the Average .i.q, and the Challenged have their own varying needs that reasonably should be met.
I agree 100%.   Every school system should have this opportunity for its students as the need arises and they don't.  And it is worse then that because where the need is cannot be supported by local people due to wealth.  The financial burden for education should be spread out among the whole country not each individual local.  The system we have now is nothing more then the haves vs. the have nots. 
Remember, I said based on "effort" not on intellect.  Not everyone can be the brightest star but you can put in the effort to do what you are capable of doing.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it