Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Scientific research  (Read 555 times)

Offline Eric Bosworth

• Field Bee
  • I love New York... I hate the government.
Scientific research
« on: December 24, 2018, 05:31:49 am »
I came across this article and thought I should share it. I have thought for a long time that for every study there's an equal and opposite study. This can explain why...

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2018/12/22/679083038/researchers-show-parachutes-dont-work-but-there-s-a-catch

The real interesting thing here is that if they had a sample of test subjects that had brittle bones the empty backpack might have been better than the parachute.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The communist party must command all the guns; that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party. ---Mao Tse Tung

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. ---Benjamin Franklin

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Practicing non intervention beekeeping
Re: Scientific research
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2018, 08:45:47 am »
I agree that Research is slanted toward the premise that you are trying to prove but I don't think the article has any relevance to what actually happens.  Due to military exercises there is data on the percentages of pass and fail with a parachute.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline jvalentour

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2018, 03:04:19 pm »

"I agree that Research is slanted toward the premise that you are trying to prove"
Brian Cardinal

Quote of the Year

Offline Eric Bosworth

• Field Bee
  • I love New York... I hate the government.
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2019, 09:24:04 pm »

Due to military exercises there is data on the percentages of pass and fail with a parachute.

Yes, but what data is there about the empty backpack? Now we have data proving that empty backpacks are just as effective jumping out of a plane or helicopter.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The communist party must command all the guns; that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party. ---Mao Tse Tung

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. ---Benjamin Franklin

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2019, 11:09:14 am »
"unless a distinction can be made rigorous and precise it isn't really a distinction."--Jacques Derrida (1991) Afterword: Toward An Ethic of Discussion, published in the English translation of Limited Inc., pp.123-4, 126

"You can present some data to an intellectual and an intellectual will say 'well, yes it works in practice but will it work in theory?' "--Bill Whittle
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline herbhome

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2019, 10:47:41 pm »

"You can present some data to an intellectual and an intellectual will say 'well, yes it works in practice but will it work in theory?' "--Bill Whittle

I like this! :smile:
Neill