Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: To Kill A Yellow Jacket  (Read 250 times)

Offline sawdstmakr

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
To Kill A Yellow Jacket
« on: November 28, 2018, 07:37:21 pm »
I have had more problems with Yellow Jackets this year than I have ever had. They are in my garage, breezeway, front porch, barn and all around my hives.
When we are sitting in the breezeway or on the porch, I am constantly killing them by smacking them between my hands. When I?m welding they are attracted to the arc and I usually have one or 2 dead ones on the work piece when I stop welding.
I have a Dynatrap on the back wall. I opened it last weekend and there were a bunch of them in there. Some were still alive. I took it down today and here is what is in it:

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

This is the Dynatrap:

I saw a bunch of them around my hives so I pulled out a shop vac and sucked up almost every one that was bothering the hives. Here is what I caught. Note: I sprayed flying bug spray in the vac before I turned it off.

I do not know how many there are in each photo but I hope I put a dent in there numbers. If someone decides to count them, let me know the results. Hopefully with fewer of them, maybe tonight?s freeze will kill the nest.
Jim
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 07:50:25 pm by sawdstmakr »
"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed.  If you do read the newspaper you are misinformed."--Mark Twain

Offline sawdstmakr

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
Re: To Kill A Yellow Jacket
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2018, 04:30:39 pm »
Here is today?s catch of Yellow Jackets. I think there are more today than yesterday.

I was hoping there would bee less today.
They killed one hive. I have to take it apart now.
Jim
"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed.  If you do read the newspaper you are misinformed."--Mark Twain

Offline kathyp

• Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2018, 07:30:59 pm »
It's been a constant problem for me to the point that I have had no hives for two years.  They finally killed them all and I had some other stuff come up, so I let it go for a bit. 

I have tried everything.  IDK what to do about them, but it's pretty discouraging to have otherwise healthy and very strong hives taken out this way. 
They are so divorced from their own interests that even when their own security and that of their children is finally compromised, they do not seek to avert the danger themselves but cross their arms and wait for the nation as a whole to come to their aid. Yet as utterly as they sacrifice their own free will, they are no fonder of obedience than anyone else. They submit, it is true, to the whims of a clerk, but no sooner is force removed than they are glad to defy the law as a defeated enemy. Thus one finds them ever wavering between servitude and license.
Alexis de Tocqueville

Offline TheHoneyPump

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2018, 07:37:59 pm »
It was a terrible season here for YJ's as well.  What I ended up doing for the small hives and nucs was reducing the entrances to 2 bees and installing permanent robbing screens on all of them. Did not lose any but they were 1/2 the size I had hoped for by the end of the fall. They did not build much as they were getting picked off and eaten as fast or faster than they could raise new bees. The screens kept the wasps out of the nest but they could still pick off a lot of the foragers.

I also used large plastic tubs with lids and cones as wasp traps in the bee yards. Worked great to cut down the massive amount of wasps.

Some are of the opinion that if the hive is strong enough it will fend off the wasps. I disagree. If the wasp are hungry enough and determined, the hive is going down no matter how big it is.
Bees Bees Bees Bees Bees Bees Bees Bees Bees Bees Bees Bees Bees Bees Bees Bees Bees Bees Bees Bees Bees Bees Bees Bees Bees

Offline kathyp

• Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2018, 12:14:24 pm »
Some are of the opinion that if the hive is strong enough it will fend off the wasps. I disagree. If the wasp are hungry enough and determined, the hive is going down no matter how big it is.

this has been my experience and I have found some hives that were under massive attack to have gone queenless.  I believe the queen becomes the target and once they have gotten to her, it's all over.
They are so divorced from their own interests that even when their own security and that of their children is finally compromised, they do not seek to avert the danger themselves but cross their arms and wait for the nation as a whole to come to their aid. Yet as utterly as they sacrifice their own free will, they are no fonder of obedience than anyone else. They submit, it is true, to the whims of a clerk, but no sooner is force removed than they are glad to defy the law as a defeated enemy. Thus one finds them ever wavering between servitude and license.
Alexis de Tocqueville

Offline sawdstmakr

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2018, 03:06:22 pm »
I have lost 6 more hives since last week. My bee Inspecter came and said he had to inspect 10 hives. There were Yellow Jackets around every hive. He sat there looking at them for quite a while. I asked if we could inspect a hive that the day before had nothing but YJs coming and going. I figured it was dead. There were no bees, just YJs. Still had lots of honey. The inspector decided not to inspect any other hive since it would cause more robbing. I have been vacuuming up YJs in the Apiary and in my barn, where I have the comb out to bee robbed. I was removing over a hundred YJs a day per location. It is starting to dwindle. I also have traps out but they catch many 5 to 10. The Dynotrap has at least 30 of them again.
Jim

Offline TheHoneyPump

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2018, 03:33:40 am »
That really sucks, sorry to hear of your losses.

The tub trap that I made was inspired by this BYB video set.  The ones I put out in the bee yards are 3x bigger.  It works well.  Over the late summer/fall I dumped out tens of pounds (10000's) of trapped and dead yellow jackets.  Other smaller traps were set out around the house backyard to keep the YJ's off the deck and away from the couple of hives by there.  Those were of the 2 liter pop bottle type.

Perhaps give either or both of those trap types a try.  They work.  Let us know if you achieve better success with this type.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 04:03:25 am by TheHoneyPump »
Bees Bees Bees Bees Bees Bees Bees Bees Bees Bees Bees Bees Bees Bees Bees Bees Bees Bees Bees Bees Bees Bees Bees Bees Bees

Offline kathyp

• Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2018, 05:11:09 pm »
That's a good video.  I have had some luck with the bottle traps, but not enough to make a difference.  I tried the commercial traps and the bags work the best, but get spendy when filling them every day.  I have tried meat, cat food, bacon and bacon grease, and they seem to get wise to it all.  Maybe I have mutant thinking YJs   :cheesy:

Alexis de Tocqueville

Offline sawdstmakr

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2018, 07:37:22 pm »
I will be making one of those traps tomorrow and get it set. Did he just put some lunch meat and water in it?  I was thinking of adding a little bit of soap to help drown them. Does that help?
Jim

Offline TheHoneyPump

• House Bee
To Kill A Yellow Jacket
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2018, 05:37:23 am »
Soap is supposed to help them drown.  My experience is soap deters them, keeps them out of it.

I do not know if there is any bait that works best.  All kinds of concoctions get used.  Here is my bait mix that has worked well.
- sugar water 1:1, 16 oz or soda such as cola or sprite/7up diluted 50:50 with water. 
- apple cider vinegar, 1 tsp
- bread yeast, 1/8 tsp
- few cubes or fillet of raw fish or basic cheapest nastiest hot dog, 1 to 2 oz
Mix enough volume to have 1-1/2 inch in bottom of the trap.  The fish, suspend with line so the bottom of the fish just barely touches the liquid. Do not want the fish in the liquid.  Fish works better than hot dog.  Hot dog works better than anything else.

The smell of sugar draws them to the trap. The smell of protein (yeast and the fish especially) commits them into it.  The smell of the cider (vinegar) repels the bees.

It is a slow start at first to get a few in.  Once they are in the trap and start off gassing themselves, it becomes a YJ magnet.  Like their dead bodies draws more in quicker.  Do not empty the trap until you notice they are not going in anymore, it is full, or they are not getting wet not enough liquid depth left. When you clean the trap and recharge put a handful of the freshest dead back in to spike it.

When building the tub trap, if the tub size selected is large enough it works better with two funnels in the lid.  More smell eminates up out of more funnels and as a result increases the trapping rate.

Hope that helps!
Let us know how it works out for you.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 03:21:08 pm by TheHoneyPump »

Offline sawdstmakr

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2018, 06:37:39 am »
Thanks THP. I will use some of the existing trapped YJs to speed it up.
Jim