Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Very thirsty bees  (Read 76 times)

Offline LizzieBee

• House Bee
Very thirsty bees
« on: October 14, 2018, 12:33:26 am »
Ever since it rained a week and a half ago my bees have been buzzing around leaking faucets, and today they were bothering me when a few drops of water were on my water bottle outside. They landed on it and drank up the drops of water. After the rain it got fairly warm again. I don?t know if the behavior is from the recent rain or the fact that I also started feeding them 2:1 sugar water syrup right after the rain. Any thoughts?

Lizzie

Online TheHoneyPump

• House Bee
Re: Very thirsty bees
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2018, 01:44:59 am »
What is the temperature like?  Has there been a drought, other than the recent rain?  Are there any water sources nearby? Foliage / forage available?

Sounds like they are hot or just need water to bring balance to the air conditioner in the hive.  Perhaps put out a water bucket with straw float in it so they can land without drowning and get the water they need to take back to the hive.

Offline sawdstmakr

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
Re: Very thirsty bees
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2018, 07:27:44 am »
My father in law always kept a little water fountain near his hives that the bees really liked. It was only about 1 foot tall and it had a very small pump to keep the water moving.
Jim
"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed.  If you do read the newspaper you are misinformed."--Mark Twain