Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Cleaning beesuits  (Read 96 times)

Offline SouthAussieBeekeeper

• New Bee
Cleaning beesuits
« on: September 24, 2018, 09:12:08 pm »
I know that a beesuit needs to be washed after using it, especially gloves as stingers left on clothes leaves traces of attack pheromones, which will alarm bees on a future day if wearing the same suit.

What needs to be done to properly wash a suit and gloves though? Does it need to be thrown into the washing machine with soap, or can simply putting the suit and gloves on the clothes line and squirt it down with a hose, suffice?

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Practicing non intervention beekeeping
Re: Cleaning beesuits
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2018, 08:59:07 am »
If you are going to wash it then do it by itself in the washing machine.  I recommend laundry detergent.  You don't want to gum up the machine.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Online sawdstmakr

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2018, 01:57:43 pm »
We put our suits in the washing machine with detergent. First I make sure to zip it up and connect all of the Velcro. When done we hand it up to dry.
Jim
"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed.  If you do read the newspaper you are misinformed."--Mark Twain

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2018, 04:45:35 pm »
I wash mine about once a year whether it needs it or not... hang it on the clothesline and hose it off...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Practicing non intervention beekeeping
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2018, 04:48:35 pm »
Sun drying is good if you want to bleach the turd spots but the suit won't last as long.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it