Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: American Foulbrood Sniffing dogs  (Read 785 times)

Offline Knisely

• New Bee
American Foulbrood Sniffing dogs
« on: July 04, 2018, 11:50:36 am »
In Maryland, a state employee is training dogs to inspect hives for harmful bacteria ? a crucial job as honeybees are sent around the country to pollinate crops.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/03/dining/dogs-bees-colonies-sniff-bacteria.html

Online sawdstmakr

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: American Foulbrood Sniffing dogs
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2018, 09:08:11 am »
I don?t know why they need a dog. Most bee inspectors that I talk to can walk through an apiary and smell hives that have AFB.
The only advantage I would see is the dogs would be able to smell it much earlier than a human could.
Jim

Offline Stephanie30

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2021, 05:04:52 am »
Well, it's good news, isn't it? I mean with all that information that we heard lately about bees disappearing dogs can help to save them, right?  :rolleyes: I'm sorry if my question is dumb! It's just the beekeeping is something new for me. The thing is that my father-in-law owns this business and because I've got fired during the pandemic he wants me to join him until I'll get a new job. So, I'm just browsing beekeeping forums to learn as much as possible. I'm a vet doctor btw and I know much more about pets than bees  :cheesy: I even have a blog about dog's health as a hobby so I hope to combine it with beekeeping.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2021, 08:19:08 am by Stephanie30 »

Online sawdstmakr

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2021, 05:18:49 pm »
Stephanie,
Welcome to Beemaster.
Jim Altmiller