Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Friends  (Read 207 times)

Offline cidersabuzzin

• House Bee
  • vroom... vroom... but more like phut** phut**!
Friends
« on: April 14, 2018, 06:02:44 pm »
It's what friends are for,,,,,,or to be a bit cynical.......a way of off loading the flak? or edging one's bets!......to be sure the firepower is not an issue.....or is that being extra cynical? :rolleyes:
A few posts ago we were discussing who your real friends are. I suppose they are the ones that give you a back, to be stabbed, if needs be! (triple cynical!) :wink:
Not long ago the French were classed as surrender monkeys now welcomed with open arms. Well that's politics!   
Whats good for bees is usually good for mankind. Doesn't that mean sharing?
The Ladies could still teach the Borg a thing or two!....and maybe us too, so long as we don't go too far to the left or right and fall off the edge...but I think maybe some so called leaders have!.....

Offline iddee

• Galactic Bee
Re: Friends
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2018, 07:34:54 pm »
Maybe once you educate someone, you could dismiss their past and see if they use the education you gave them in the future.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline kathyp

• Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2018, 11:29:24 pm »
Not long ago the French were classed as surrender monkeys now welcomed with open arms.

Well, they are part of NATO.  I confess to having a hard time understanding the French sometimes.  I confess also to not having tried very hard to understand them

It was the French who were so hot to take out Gaddafi and to this day I do not have a clear reason for their wishes or our going along with them to do it.  It was a mistake on so many levels that it boggles the mind.  Both Syria and part of Lybia were administered by the French at one point or another.  The French seem to have been a miserable colonial power and seem to wish to continue to mess in former holdings.  We have been dragged into their messes before (Vietnam).

Apologies to any French beemaster members, and any light shed would be welcome. 
They are so divorced from their own interests that even when their own security and that of their children is finally compromised, they do not seek to avert the danger themselves but cross their arms and wait for the nation as a whole to come to their aid. Yet as utterly as they sacrifice their own free will, they are no fonder of obedience than anyone else. They submit, it is true, to the whims of a clerk, but no sooner is force removed than they are glad to defy the law as a defeated enemy. Thus one finds them ever wavering between servitude and license.
Alexis de Tocqueville

Offline jvalentour

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2018, 01:11:41 pm »
The French were the second largest colonial empire in the 18th and 19th centuries.  Their ties to Africa were actually quite impressive.  They had colonies in Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia, Ivory Coast, Sudan, Guinea, Niger, Senagal, Nigeria, and many more.  I suppose even after giving independence to most of the colonies in the 50's and 60's there remains a significant political and financial interest. 
They, the French, have several military actions ongoing in Africa currently. 
The muslum population in France is quite high by European standards.

All these things considered makes the politics of France a little more sensible.  They tend to act in a "France First" fashion within their sphere of influence.  Their politics since de Gaulle have really been quite predictable.

Offline kathyp

• Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2018, 03:51:15 pm »
Yes, I guess my point was more about the condition of their former colonies.  If you compare the way the Brits left countries and the way the French left them, it seems the French did not do much to help those colonies to be productive and self-governing.  Exceptions occur, but the in the main, they have not done as well.

I believe a clue can be found in the post ww1 French behaviors over things like the Germans failure to provide coal.  While France had a legitimate beef, they also were pretty ruthless in occupation and confiscation.
The complaints of the Vietnamese were not without merit. 
They are so divorced from their own interests that even when their own security and that of their children is finally compromised, they do not seek to avert the danger themselves but cross their arms and wait for the nation as a whole to come to their aid. Yet as utterly as they sacrifice their own free will, they are no fonder of obedience than anyone else. They submit, it is true, to the whims of a clerk, but no sooner is force removed than they are glad to defy the law as a defeated enemy. Thus one finds them ever wavering between servitude and license.
Alexis de Tocqueville

Offline cidersabuzzin

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2018, 02:38:40 pm »
Maybe once you educate someone, you could dismiss their past and see if they use the education you gave them in the future.
Sat in your little bunker your educating the French? Oh the irony! :sad:.......then again you don't do irony, do you! Time to go back to sleep iddee. Slightly out of context I know, but you know what I mean!
The Ladies could still teach the Borg a thing or two!....and maybe us too, so long as we don't go too far to the left or right and fall off the edge...but I think maybe some so called leaders have!.....

Offline iddee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2018, 03:12:05 pm »
If I knew what you mean, I would likely laugh, but since I don't, I;ll just set here and look perplexed.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline cidersabuzzin

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2018, 06:38:55 pm »
If I knew what you mean, I would likely laugh, but since I don't, I;ll just set here and look perplexed.

That's the irony! :rolleyes: