Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Beefest 2018  (Read 50646 times)

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Beefest 2018
« Reply #100 on: March 16, 2018, 02:35:27 am »
Sorry to hear that JP. I was really hoping you could attend.
I talked to Scott Hardwood, he and Peggy are trying to work it into their schedule. If they come I am hoping they can make some great videos.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #101 on: March 18, 2018, 07:51:14 am »
Looks like the weather is going to bee great for BeeFest 2018. 0 percent chance of rain.  Should bee great for the campers, lows only of 47, 49 and 52.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline tycrnp

• House Bee
« Reply #102 on: March 18, 2018, 03:59:19 pm »
Count me and my +1 in.  I'm not much for camping, so I am checking out the motels.  So do you have something planned for Sunday, or do you expect that is when most people will be departing?

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #103 on: March 18, 2018, 06:51:48 pm »
That sounds great TY. I have been talking to several people that are coming and I intend to do the bulk of the events on Saturday with a few things on Friday afternoon and Sunday morning. I suspect a lot of people will be driving Friday morning and Sunday afternoon.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #104 on: March 18, 2018, 06:55:49 pm »
I just talked to Scott Hardwood. He and Peggy will be coming. Hopefully he will be able to get some great videos. For those that are new to BeeMaster, Scott and Peggy produced a lot of bee removals and they also did a great Bee Lining Video.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #105 on: March 18, 2018, 07:32:22 pm »
And on a scale of one to ten as good people, they rank eleven. I can't wait to see them again.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #106 on: March 21, 2018, 12:45:34 pm »
I have been trying to work out a schedule for BeeFest.
Here is what I have so far but we will have to bee flexible.
I have an add in a local newspaper for free swarm removals so that may affect it.
I was planning on splitting all 3 hives on Saturday but the bottom hive swarmed yesterday and I can hear queens piping, so we will have to at least take that one apart on Friday morning and get the queens out of it. They should still bee in there.

1:00 PM, Lunch at farm. Register and Name Tags.
Friday after lunch we will go to Bobsim?s place to split his 2 or maybe 3 hives and cut them into Langstroth frames.
Crafts for kids

6:30 PM, Dinner at farm.
Friday night: Bonfire, S?Mores

Saturday morning:
8:30 AM, Breakfast.
We will inspect and split the 3 hives near my barn.
Scavenger hunt for kids.
1:00 PM, lunch.
Inspect and split the Flow Hive.
Dousing training and practical application.
Face painting and kids crafts.
6:30 PM, Dinner
Saturday night: Bonfire, S?Mores

Sunday morning
8:30 Breakfast.
Smoker contest followed by Smoker training. Bring your smoker if you want to participate. If you are flying, I have 2 extra smokers here. Let me know.
Candle making.
Crafts for kids.
1:00 PM Lunch
I?m sure this schedule will change a bit but this is the initial plan.
I also have 4 honey supers that I would like to extract.
Jim
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 03:53:27 pm by sawdstmakr »
Ben Franklin

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #107 on: March 21, 2018, 07:29:33 pm »
For those coming by auto, please bring chairs, I have several but not enough for everyone. Also please bring drinks for you group.
Thanks ,
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #108 on: March 21, 2018, 10:43:02 pm »
On our way :-)

Drove through the storm today and made it to Kenly NC for the night.  If all goes well we will be there tomorrow afternoon.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/wWg11m0eay4IU3jI2
https://photos.app.goo.gl/LOZYvHzvMyawqAAK2
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #109 on: March 22, 2018, 01:10:13 am »
Bee careful driving in that snow. See you tomorrow.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #110 on: March 22, 2018, 07:59:39 am »
Sounds great.  Toms got a bunch of dowsing rods and pendulums and is looking forward to it.   What, no bee beard demonstration? :cool:

I have been trying to work out a schedule for BeeFest.
Here is what I have so far but we will have to bee flexible.
I have an add in a local newspaper for free swarm removals so that may affect it.
I was planning on splitting all 3 hives on Saturday but the bottom hive swarmed yesterday and I can hear queens piping, so we will have to at least take that one apart on Friday morning and get the queens out of it. They should still bee in there.

1:00 PM, Lunch at farm. Register and Name Tags.
Friday after lunch we will go to Bobsim?s place to split his 2 or maybe 3 hives and cut them into Langstroth frames.
Crafts for kids

6:30 PM, Dinner at farm.
Friday night: Bonfire, S?Mores

Saturday morning:
8:30 AM, Breakfast.
We will inspect and split the 3 hives near my barn.
Scavenger hunt for kids.
1:00 PM, lunch.
Inspect and split the Flow Hive.
Dousing training and practical application.
Face painting and kids crafts.
6:30 PM, Dinner
Saturday night: Bonfire, S?Mores

Sunday morning
8:30 Breakfast.
Smoker contest followed by Smoker training. Bring your smoker if you want to participate. If you are flying, I have 2 extra smokers here. Let me know.
Candle making.
Crafts for kids.
1:00 PM Lunch
I?m sure this schedule will change a bit but this is the initial plan.
I also have 4 honey supers that I would like to extract.
Jim
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #111 on: March 22, 2018, 08:08:23 am »
Jim's going to let you do the beard, but he's planning on using yellow jackets rather than honeybees.   :shocked:   :cheesy:
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #112 on: March 22, 2018, 08:26:56 am »
Rob,
It?s your lucky day. I have yet to see YJ here at the farm. Yea.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #113 on: March 22, 2018, 08:28:01 am »
Why you wanna spoil my fun, Jim?   :cool:

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #114 on: March 22, 2018, 11:59:21 am »
There will be 3 of us. Will give you a call when we get in the area.

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #115 on: March 22, 2018, 01:31:49 pm »
OK Wally. Thanks.
Ben Franklin

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #116 on: March 25, 2018, 12:11:21 am »
This afternoon Tom did a great presentation to dousing and its benifits. It was really interesting. Then he pulled out a bag of dousing rods and let us try to do it. It was amazing how strong the rods crossed when we crossed over the fields. I watched Tom set up the area for marking out the area. He just walked the area and waved his hand in the air with no dousing rods and then put sticks or pine cones on the ground to mark the fields. Then during the presentation he use the rods to show what happened as he crossed those lines. When I used them, i was so amazed at how strong the rods were that I looked up so that I could not see the markings on the ground and did it again and they were always right on the mark when they crossed.
Thank you Tom.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline MikeyN.C.

• Field Bee
« Reply #117 on: March 25, 2018, 12:02:40 pm »
Jim, hated missing beefest,  stuck at Camp Lejeune in Jacksonville N.C. working. But know y'all had a great time. Maybe next year.
Looking forward to pics. and videos.

Offline tycrnp

• House Bee
« Reply #118 on: March 25, 2018, 08:48:47 pm »
Had an AWESOME time at Beefest 2018!  I'm going to try and post a few pics....let's see if it works.   :wink:

Offline tycrnp

• House Bee
« Reply #119 on: March 25, 2018, 08:56:06 pm »