Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Big Lies  (Read 14580 times)

Offline Ben Framed

• Super Bee
  • North Mississippi
Re: Big Lies
« Reply #320 on: September 19, 2019, 11:27:27 pm »
I think I have heard just about every dirty trick LBJ allegedly pulled, but never heard this.  I think it is nonsense somebody made up for the internet, probably told first about some other politician. 

The young Lyndon Johnson was actually pretty conservative by today's standards.  There were two wings on the Democratic party in Texas, one liberal and one conservative, and virtually no Republican party.  Many of the conservative Democrats moved to the Republican label in the late 1960s.

Your explanation sounds accurate and reasonable to me Dallas. Can you imagine the repercussions against Mr Johnson, especially back in that day, of such a statement of accusation? There were two wings of the Democratic Party in Mississippi, similar as you described in Texas, during that era. I have heard the older folks discussing this very thing when I was a boy. The liberal democrats went off to the left so far with their extremism, that Conservative Democrats could no longer go along. So, the Republican Party was their choice, for that very reason. From what I understand, the South as a whole was apparently, pretty much the same way? Thus politically, the South was known as the Solid South during that period; is that right?
Phillip

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #321 on: September 20, 2019, 12:36:45 am »
The Solid South it was, Phillip.  The Democrats could rely on the Southern vote until about 1948, when the Dixiecrats started splitting off from the democratic party.  Of course, we had democrats like Kennedy, Johnson, Carter and Clinton (the latter 3 being Southerners) elected after that, but the conservative wing of the democrat party started splitting off in 1948.  In 1968, George  Wallace carried five Southern states with his segregationist views.  That may have helped Richard Nixon win the presidency, since his race took votes away from the democrats.  After that, Republicans continued to gain ground in the South.  Democrats seem to have been gaining recently in the South as people move from the left coast and North, but if they continue to lean farther left, I expect voters will abandon them -- or vote some other way because the Democrats have abandoned them, to state it more accurately.  It could be time for a third party to gain a stronger voice in national politics, taking votes from both the GOP and the Democrats. 
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #322 on: September 20, 2019, 12:42:43 am »
I meant to point out the term yellow dog Democrat was used to describe voters in the South for many years.  They would vote for a yellow dog if it ran for office on the Democrat ticket.  And they seemed to be proud to identify themselves as such.

"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline CoolBees

• Field Bee
« Reply #323 on: September 20, 2019, 01:11:29 am »
IF I understand my history correctly - "IF" - the Republicans first [successful] Presidential Candidate was Abraham Lincoln. The Republicans formed as a "split-off" from the Whig party. The Republicans then went on to free All Slaves [after winning the Civil War against the Democrats]. ... etc ...

Lotta "IF's" there ...

If all the above "IF's" are correct - it makes sense to me today, as I watch the Democrat Party flounder - seemingly lost to itself, that the time has [nearly] come for a new [more realistic/intelligent] party to form out of the current ashes of the Democrat party - if they've any hope at all of survival ... as Dallas said ...

Pls feel very free to correct me on any errors ...
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Ben Framed

• Super Bee
  • North Mississippi
« Reply #324 on: September 20, 2019, 02:28:04 am »
IF I understand my history correctly - "IF" - the Republicans first [successful] Presidential Candidate was Abraham Lincoln. The Republicans formed as a "split-off" from the Whig party. The Republicans then went on to free All Slaves [after winning the Civil War against the Democrats]. ... etc ...

Lotta "IF's" there ...

If all the above "IF's" are correct - it makes sense to me today, as I watch the Democrat Party flounder - seemingly lost to itself, that the time has [nearly] come for a new [more realistic/intelligent] party to form out of the current ashes of the Democrat party - if they've any hope at all of survival ... as Dallas said ...

Pls feel very free to correct me on any errors ...

Over my head Alan, I have no ground to correct you if you are wrong. Except the unfair taxing continued on for the South. Which was the main culprit for the war.  I will say the New Democratic Party that I see today looks more like a communist party to me. Or at the least, an Anti-Constitutional party on the outside looking in. I am thinking the sober minded Democrats (Conservative) democrats at the time of Johnson, later began moving to the Republican Party about the time of Mr Reagan?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 02:40:40 am by Ben Framed »

Offline Ben Framed

• Super Bee
  • North Mississippi
« Reply #325 on: September 20, 2019, 11:15:37 pm »
The Solid South it was, Phillip.  The Democrats could rely on the Southern vote until about 1948, when the Dixiecrats started splitting off from the democratic party.  Of course, we had democrats like Kennedy, Johnson, Carter and Clinton (the latter 3 being Southerners) elected after that, but the conservative wing of the democrat party started splitting off in 1948.  In 1968, George  Wallace carried five Southern states with his segregationist views.  That may have helped Richard Nixon win the presidency, since his race took votes away from the democrats.  After that, Republicans continued to gain ground in the South.  Democrats seem to have been gaining recently in the South as people move from the left coast and North, but if they continue to lean farther left, I expect voters will abandon them -- or vote some other way because the Democrats have abandoned them, to state it more accurately.  It could be time for a third party to gain a stronger voice in national politics, taking votes from both the GOP and the Democrats.

Dallas this makes scenes to me, thanks for the educational value of your post, I especially enjoyed it. 
Phillip

Offline salvo

• House Bee
« Reply #326 on: September 21, 2019, 12:59:56 am »
Hi Folks,

I read Hunter Thompson^s stuff years ago. He is the source for that LBJ story.

See here:

https://masscommons.wordpress.com/2012/03/15/fear-loathing-on-the-campaign-trail-make-them-deny-it/

MAKE THEM DENY IT!

Bad stuff.

Sal
Salvo

Offline salvo

• House Bee
« Reply #327 on: September 23, 2019, 10:02:31 pm »
Can't make it up Folks,

Those silly Brits!

Children as young as SIX are to be given compulsory self-touching lessons that critics say are sexualising youngsters

The lessons are part of the controversial All About Me teaching programme
    All About Me is being rolled out across 241 primaries by Warwickshire County Council
    Campaigners warn that inappropriate sexual material could be given to children.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7490415/Children-young-SIX-given-compulsory-self-touching-lessons.html

Remember Monte Python? Those were the days,... British humor. Now, nobody is laughing.

Sal
Salvo

Offline salvo

• House Bee
« Reply #328 on: September 26, 2019, 07:31:18 am »
Hi Folks,

We've sorta heard about this, but have you seen it firsthand? Joe Biden bragging? I had to see it for myself. NPR won't tell me.

https://thefederalist.com/2019/09/24/watch-joe-biden-brag-about-bribing-ukraine-to-fire-the-prosecutor-investigating-his-sons-company/

Sal
Salvo

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #329 on: September 26, 2019, 08:25:12 am »
And how dare Trump try to find out if Biden bribed a Ukranian with a billion dollars of our money!  Who does he think he is!  The president of the United States?
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline kathyp

• Universal Bee
« Reply #330 on: September 26, 2019, 04:12:02 pm »
Someone floated the theory that this was stirred by dems up in order to bring up the Biden stuff and knock him out of the running.  I think that is too much thinking to expect from them, but it may have the effect anyway.

News is also coming out that the whistleblower is a CIA person.  A little Brennan plant anyone?

This is going to be fun.  I await impeachment and discovery. 
They are so divorced from their own interests that even when their own security and that of their children is finally compromised, they do not seek to avert the danger themselves but cross their arms and wait for the nation as a whole to come to their aid. Yet as utterly as they sacrifice their own free will, they are no fonder of obedience than anyone else. They submit, it is true, to the whims of a clerk, but no sooner is force removed than they are glad to defy the law as a defeated enemy. Thus one finds them ever wavering between servitude and license.
Alexis de Tocqueville

Offline Ben Framed

• Super Bee
  • North Mississippi
« Reply #331 on: September 26, 2019, 11:09:01 pm »
Someone floated the theory that this was stirred by dems up in order to bring up the Biden stuff and knock him out of the running.  I think that is too much thinking to expect from them, but it may have the effect anyway.

News is also coming out that the whistleblower is a CIA person.  A little Brennan plant anyone?

This is going to be fun.  I await impeachment and discovery.

X2
President Trump knows what he is doing, a master chess player. Looks he is setting them up, and getting ready to open up  a can of what Bobby Bushea opened in the movie. Difference is Mr Trump is no water boy.
 :shocked:
« Last Edit: September 26, 2019, 11:28:18 pm by Ben Framed »

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #332 on: September 27, 2019, 10:48:43 am »
It is not so much that Trump is brilliant.  It doesn?t require a great tactician to defeat an opponent that is dumb as a board.  The Democrats are acting like totall idiots these days, making it easy for Trump to appear smart.

I did think, based on the report in the Wall Street Journal, that Trump?s speech to the United Nations earlier this week was excellent.  I would like to read the text of his entire speech to see if it really was that well-reasoned and restrained.

Offline kathyp

• Universal Bee
« Reply #333 on: September 27, 2019, 06:32:02 pm »
https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings-statements/remarks-president-trump-74th-session-united-nations-general-assembly/

I think this is the whole thing.

I listened to a bit of it and it was good.  Encouraging each nation to do what is best for their own people. A proper view of nationalism. 

I think the entire thing is on Youtube too if you want to listen to it.  I prefer reading, but sometimes tone is important too. 
They are so divorced from their own interests that even when their own security and that of their children is finally compromised, they do not seek to avert the danger themselves but cross their arms and wait for the nation as a whole to come to their aid. Yet as utterly as they sacrifice their own free will, they are no fonder of obedience than anyone else. They submit, it is true, to the whims of a clerk, but no sooner is force removed than they are glad to defy the law as a defeated enemy. Thus one finds them ever wavering between servitude and license.
Alexis de Tocqueville

Offline salvo

• House Bee
« Reply #334 on: September 30, 2019, 10:57:56 pm »
Hi Folks,

For the prize behind curtain number three....

WHO SAID THIS LAST SATURDAY?

The best possible path, especially if you are concerned about a country that has never been more divided, perhaps more highly polarized every day, is for this president to resign. Allow this country to heal, and assure that we come back together with the greatest, most ambitious agenda we?ve ever faced, none of it possible while he remains in power.

Who wants to play?

Sal
Salvo

Offline Ben Framed

• Super Bee
  • North Mississippi
« Reply #335 on: October 01, 2019, 12:32:37 am »

Hi Folks,

For the prize behind curtain number three....

WHO SAID THIS LAST SATURDAY?

The best possible path, especially if you are concerned about a country that has never been more divided, perhaps more highly polarized every day, is for this president to resign. Allow this country to heal, and assure that we come back together with the greatest, most ambitious agenda we?ve ever faced, none of it possible while he remains in power.

Who wants to play?

Sal

I don't know this clowns name because I did not hear the quote, but this person must think all Americans have a low IQ? I will play and take three guesses, Could be one of the following Shepard Smith, Juan Williams, or even Geraldo Rivera?

Offline salvo

• House Bee
« Reply #336 on: October 01, 2019, 07:38:27 am »
Nope. None of those guys.

Some other hints from the Urban Dictionary:

This guy is a spaz. Means a person that acts insane or mentally retarded.
This guy ran around screaming with his tounge hanging out like a spaz.

Someone who is hyperactive, or overly energetic
He can never sit still, he is a bit of a spaz

An irrationally nervous or jumpy person.
Dude, that Tweek from El Paso is such a spaz.

verb. to go insane, break, or otherwise act oddly.

He is totally spazzing. - when somebody is going mad

Many people assume he is just off his meds.

Any more guesses?

Sal
Salvo

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #337 on: October 01, 2019, 08:22:35 am »
Spaz is short for spasm or spasmodic.  And when applied to a person is what you have already pointed out.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Online iddee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #338 on: October 01, 2019, 09:13:10 am »
Unless his name starts with a B, ends with an O, and has e&t in the middle, I have no idea who it may be.   :tongue:  :cheesy:
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline salvo

• House Bee
« Reply #339 on: October 02, 2019, 10:03:39 pm »
Hi Folks,

The booby prize goes to IDDEE!

I've been trying for twenty minutes to post a photo of those prize boobies, but a moderator keeps blocking me.

Sal
Salvo