Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Big Lies  (Read 16125 times)

Offline salvo

• House Bee
Big Lies
« on: September 02, 2017, 11:06:26 pm »
Hi Folks,

This might be "fun".

"I came here to tell you the truth, the good,... the bad,... and the ugly."

We all know "the big lies": The check is in the mail. Roll over. I love you. The dog ate my homework.

Recently we've all become too aware of the lies we've been told over the years. Some are whoppers. Others simply frustrating because we know they are lies. How can they say such things?

Let's recall some of those "unforgettable" little gems from the past. I want to see the ones that make us smile,... groan,... face palm. I want to see the big ones and the little ones. You can tell us who said it,... or wait to see who knows who said it. Try to only post one or two at a time. Post your best. We all know a ton of 'em, but give the next poster a chance to present his jewel. Too many all in the same post diminishes the impact of all of them.

I'll start out with a great one:

"I did not have sexual relations with that woman..."
[/i][/b]
"
Salvo

Offline eltalia

• Queen Bee
Re: Big Lies
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2017, 11:22:54 pm »
: hands in air:
"Dunno Mummy... the fairys did it"

: accepting the 10 buck loan from a mate:
"THANKS Maate... see ya on payday"

: car keys from Dad: Saturday Night
"I'll only be an hour"
                                      Sunday Lunch
" Yeh yeh Dad, I'll wash the back seat this arvo"

Life... gotta love it!

--

Bill

Offline sawdstmakr

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2017, 11:36:57 pm »
You can keep your Doctor.
Jim

Online iddee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2017, 05:18:26 am »
The income tax   "and others""  is only temporary.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline little john

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2017, 05:22:42 am »
Lies ?  Does it get any bigger than this ?

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness. (Declaration of Independence, 1776)

Button Gwinnett, Lyman Hall, William Hooper, Joseph Hewes, John Penn, Edward Rutledge, Thomas Heyward, Thomas Lynch Jr, Arthur Middleton, John Hancock, Samuel Chase, William Paca, Thomas Stone, Charles Carroll, George Wythe, Richard Henry Lee, Thomas Jefferson, Benjamin Harrison, Thomas Nelson Jr, Francis Lightfoot Lee, Carter Braxton, Robert Morris, Benjamin Rush, Benjamin Franklin, George Taylor, Caesar Rodney, George Read, William Floyd, Philip Livingston, Francis Lewis, Lewis Morris, Richard Stockton, John Witherspoon, Francis Hopkinson, John Hart, Abraham Clark, Josiah Bartlett, William Whipple, Stephen Hopkins, Oliver Wolcott.

But all the above signatories owned one or more slaves, in some cases several hundred.
LJ
A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping - http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com

Offline beecanbee

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2017, 06:37:25 am »
Though there is still time to do this....   :smile:

Start winning again. "We're going to win so much -- win after win after win -- that you're going to be begging me: 'Please, Mr. President, let us lose once or twice. We can't stand it any more.' And I'm going to say: 'No way. We're going to keep winning. We're never going to lose. We're never, ever going to lose."
"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me."  Duncan Vandiver

A boy can do half the work of a man, but two boys do less, and three boys get nothing done at all. :)

(False) Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel.  - Samuel Johnson

Offline eltalia

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2017, 07:17:34 am »

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness. (Declaration of Independence, 1776)

(list edited)

But all the above signatories owned one or more slaves, in some cases several hundred.
LJ

..check the fine print LJ "they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, "
Thus one of "their" rights is the permission under "their" g0d to determine whom it is qualifies
as "men".
Of course the theme was universal amongst many of those expanionist nations in occupying
other lands, judging the indigenous as "savages".

Cheers.

Bill

Offline salvo

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2017, 08:25:48 am »

Sometimes "lies" are necessary to achieve a greater good. Sometimes lies unintentionally bring about a greater good. Sometimes lies are not about what we are, but what we want to be. An "ancient" society should not be judged by today's standards. Founding Fathers were men of their time. They espoused to something greater than they had, but the timing was all wrong. They created a document to get us there.

[size=12pt]"Do the people of the South really entertain fears that a Republican administration would, directly or indirectly, interfere with their slaves, or with them, about their slaves? If they do, I wish to assure you, as once a friend, and still, I hope, not an enemy, that there is no cause for such fears."

?I will say then that I am not, nor ever have been in favor of bringing about in any way the social and political equality of the white and black races?that I am not nor ever have been in favor of making voters or jurors of negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry with white people; and I will say in addition to this that there is a physical difference between the white and black races which I believe will forever forbid the two races living together on terms of social and political equality. And inasmuch as they cannot so live, while they do remain together there must be the position of superior and inferior, and I as much as any other man am in favor of having the superior position assigned to the white race.?

Abraham Lincoln[/size]

I don't forget that Lincoln freed ONLY the slaves of the rebel states. The northern states got to keep their slaves,... for a while.

My opinion only.

Sal
Salvo

Offline little john

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2017, 09:11:19 am »

(list edited)

LJ

..check the fine print LJ "they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, "
Thus one of "their" rights is the permission under "their" g0d to determine whom it is qualifies
as "men".
Of course the theme was universal amongst many of those expanionist nations in occupying
other lands, judging the indigenous as "savages".

Cheers.

Bill

Naaah - not buying that - it clearly says, "We hold these truths  ... ALL men ..." - not men our god approves of, or qualified in any other way - "just white men" etc., as is often proposed.

And "We" - as in 'the undersigned'.  The document went through several drafts before it was finally agreed upon - so they knew exactly what they were saying - or ought to have done.

In a very real sense, America (as an independent country) was actually founded upon this issue of Race and Colour - an issue which still exists to this very day.  It hasn't gone away - it still hasn't been reconciled.

So the F-F were lying. Just like politicians do.  That's their stock-in-trade. Don't get me started on our lot - they're probably the worst of all.  Britain got rich on Slavery, on peddling narcotics to China, and subjugating India.   Britain's working classes weren't treated very well either. It took a World War to begin the process of change over here, and there's still a helluva long way to go.

Come the revolution ....
LJ

Offline little john

• Queen Bee
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2017, 04:35:12 am »
Just in case anyone should think I'm being anti-American - here's another example concerning the same issue, during the same period of history, only now on this side of the Atlantic ...

The BIG name associated with the Abolition of Slavery over here in Britain was a guy named William Wilberforce, who was the major driving force behind the Abolition of the Slave Trade Act, 1807.
Following the passing of that Act, the Royal Navy began intercepting Slave Ships on the high seas but, rather than transporting their pressed cargo back to their countries of origin and releasing them there, instead carried those unfortunates to Sierra Leone where they were purchased by Wilberforce who had set up that Colony in 1808 on the premise that former slaves and white men could live and work together there as equals. Indeed, they were no longer termed 'Slaves', but were made 'Apprentices' - without their consent - for 14 years instead, and duly held in irons should they attempt escape. Wilberforce kept some 'Apprentices' for work in the colony, but sold others to neighbouring landowners, where they were returned to their former slave labour. Insodoing, the great abolitionist had himself become a slave-trader.

It was only after the first Crown Governor of Sierra Leone was appointed, one 25 year-old Lt. Thomas Perronet Thompson, that this extraordinary practice began to be exposed to the Colonial Office, as Wilberforce had refused to discuss it with him. However, that disclosure was to result in Thompson's dismissal ... at Wilberforce's request.  The Slavery Abolition Act of 1833 followed in due course, which finally eliminated such 'irregularities'.

So - was Wilberforce 'lying' ?  I guess it all depends on what one means by the word 'lying'.  We often talk of a person "living a lie" when they deceive others for any length of time, so I'd suggest "Yes, he was".

LJ

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Practicing non intervention beekeeping
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2017, 09:10:16 am »
All politicians lie and all politicians work for themselves first and if we are lucky enough work for their constituents next.  Some never work for who they represent.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Online iddee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2017, 05:37:48 pm »
""All politicians lie and all politicians work for themselves first and if we are lucky enough work for their constituents next.  Some never work for who they represent.""

Golly, Gee, Ace. You finally got something right. Now you know why we elected a non-politicion who is working for us. I just hope you can let it soak in and get on the boat with us.   :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline salvo

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2017, 08:17:26 pm »
"Global Warming,...Climate Change,... Climate Disruption,... IS man made.

And the government has to tax and spend to solve it."

Sal
Salvo

Online iddee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2017, 08:44:11 pm »
Salvo, you need to ask admin for a sarcasm smilie.

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2017, 09:32:30 pm »
Now you know why we elected a non-politicion who is working for us. I just hope you can let it soak in and get on the boat with us.
Hey, I would be right there with you if he wasn't a carpet bagger.  This why the south can't give up the term darn Yankee.  It keeps happening to them.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Online iddee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2017, 10:03:55 pm »
NO, NO. A yankee comes down and goes back. A dam yankee comes and stays. He's just a plain yankee. Of course, so was George Washington.

You've starting to wise up. You just have a ways to go.   :tongue:   :cheesy:

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2017, 10:52:53 pm »
A dam yankee comes and stays.

I very well know this.  I worked in textiles for 11 years.  Many southerners were my friend, they knew I was going home.  You do know the turd lives in FL?
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Online iddee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2017, 06:18:09 am »
You do??    :angry:   :cheesy:     
Trump lives in New York and goes to Florida only to return to New York, where the majority of his belongings are.

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2017, 09:02:38 am »
You do??    :angry:   :cheesy:     
Trump lives in New York and goes to Florida only to return to New York, where the majority of his belongings are.

Trump lives in FL and visits the White House.  His wife lived in NY with their kid.  She is eye candy for the turd.  Melania has since moved to Washington with her son most likely in separate rooms from the Donny.  Security for the tower in NY and the golf course in FL is destroying any chance of a balanced budget and it is just one way the thief is stealing from the American people.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Online iddee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2017, 11:19:13 am »
Poor, poor Ace.
In the rain, he sees the likelihood of drowning.
In the sun, he sees sunburn.
I am sure glad I have a more positive eyesight on life than that. He is so pitiful.

*Shel Silverstein*