Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Effective Small Hive Beetle Trap  (Read 2660 times)

Offline ApisFlorea

• New Bee
Effective Small Hive Beetle Trap
« on: May 08, 2017, 03:20:00 am »
Wanted to share this with the group.  It may have already been discussed here, but could still help others.  I think folks in southern parts of the country could find use for something like this.  Below are some video links with product info, demo, etc.  Comment?

Prod. Intro:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfnefkJSfBs&t=0s

Prod. Explanation:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3D-nkBTf2xs

Prod. Demo Video:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpeT0_JaNsQ

Sealing Tape:  http://www.equalseal.com/White-Polyethylene-Closed-Cell-Foam-s/2187.htm

small hive beetle, shb, trap, hive beetle, neverwet

Offline tycrnp

• House Bee
Re: Effective Small Hive Beetle Trap
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2017, 12:19:34 pm »
Thanks!!!

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2017, 01:16:52 pm »
I special ordered the paint, from Lowes. I plan on trying it in my new oil pans. I will be spraying it just around the 4 sides of the pan.
I will let you know when I get it done, how it works out.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline agrimm01

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2017, 10:49:56 am »
I did this about 6 weeks ago on my hives.  The other day during an inspection I did not see a single small hive beetle in any hive. 

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2017, 12:23:56 pm »
I did this about 6 weeks ago on my hives.  The other day during an inspection I did not see a single small hive beetle in any hive. 
Did you see any beetles in the pans?
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Florida Bee Rancher

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2017, 09:37:57 pm »
Hello Apisflorea,

You may want to watch this one also.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMPQ2vGxp8E

Offline agrimm01

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2017, 08:34:02 am »
Did you see any beetles in the pans?

I don't have pans.  I used neverwet on the aluminum strips between the sbb and hive body and seal tape between the boxes and the lid.

Andy

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2017, 04:45:37 pm »
Hi agrimm01,

Welcome to the "No Small Hive Beetle Club" others are slow to join but they will eventually.

Offline tycrnp

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2017, 10:53:54 pm »
Count me in!!!  I already have have the never wet strips and just got the foam tape.  I hope the bees don't get too upset when I am trying to  install all of this.  LOL!!!   :embarassed:

Offline paus

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2017, 10:17:24 am »
I have been using DSBB with oil pan between screens, bee proof, I have been catching up to 23 SHB plus numerous larva the first day after installation.  This continually goes down and when I go through hive I seldom see a SHB.  I like to look and have numbers,  that is proof.  I plan on using the painted strips because I think this will make the oil pan more effective.  Rancher I have a question, do you ever have to recoat the strips and how long do the paint jobs last?

Offline paus

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2017, 10:22:31 am »
I Forgot one more question,  My bees seal every joint with propolis  what is the advantage of the sealing strips?

• New Bee
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2017, 03:40:42 pm »
Hi paus,

My Neverwet strips have been on now for over two years and they are still working, it wouldn't be a bad idea to check the Neverwet coating every couple years to make sure its holding up or another indicator is when you start to notice hive beetles in your hive. I have found that the bees can only propolize cracks so fast and the polyethylene foam tape seals the hive 100% instantly and compensates for any warpage, poorly milled edges and joints.

anything