Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: New Queen  (Read 215 times)

Offline RobboWA

• New Bee
New Queen
« on: May 02, 2017, 10:17:53 am »
(Posted this in the main forum as well)

Hi Beekeepers,

I apologies for the short notice and lack of knowledge. My neighbor has given me a queen bee as they weren't in a position to use her. My hive is young and does not need the queen replaced yet. I have raided my hive about 4-6 weeks ago (1 super). My thoughts were to make a new nuc with 2 brood and one honey from my current hive so I don't waste the queen and get a chance to build up. I live in South West WA and my concerns are that we are late in the season. My current hive is very strong and I plan to feed them during the Winter as well. Thoughts on whether I should progress?

Offline sawdstmakr

• Galactic Bee
Re: New Queen
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017, 01:07:36 pm »
If your winter is rather moderate, you could as long as you feed the hive or just give them another frame of bees and honey.
I once took a queen out of a failing hive in October with less than one frame of bees left on it. I put them in my observation hive on my patio and their numbers dwindled down. The coldest the patio got was around 45-50 degrees F. In December at the solar equinox, they had about a silver dollar size ball of bees showing on the outside of one of the 2 frames in the OH. She then started to lay and by March she had the 2 frames covered with bees and they swarmed.
It is possible. Make sure they have no more drawn comb than they can handle.
Jim
"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed.  If you do read the newspaper you are misinformed."--Mark Twain

Offline RobboWA

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2017, 09:54:17 pm »
Cheers Jim,

Thanks for the advice!

Clint

Offline sawdstmakr

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2017, 01:05:31 pm »
Cheers Jim,

Thanks for the advice!

Clint

Any time.  :happy:
Jim
"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed.  If you do read the newspaper you are misinformed."--Mark Twain

anything