Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hobbies other than beekeeping  (Read 648 times)

Offline Hops Brewster

• House Bee
Re: Hobbies other than beekeeping
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2017, 11:50:24 am »
Home-brewing beer (including growing my own hops) and making mead and sometimes wine, although these have had to go to the back burner, due to doctor's orders.

I also very much enjoy hunting  (I ain't supposed to eat meat, either. shhh, don't tell him.. what he doesn't know won't hurt him),  also shooting and reloading.  Venison or pheasants that's been harvested with your own hand loads tastes better. ...And too much television.

Did the doctor tell you to turn off the TV?  Wild game has none of the bad health effects of domestic meats unless they get into a corn field.  Beekeeping is probably the worst hobby to get into if you have a bad back or diabetes.  Although if you are mindful of both problems it could be good for you because of the exercise.

I don't fish enough to call it a hobby and I never hunt.  Basically my hobbies are limited to work, gardening, and bees.

He wants me on a vegetarian diet.  Fugedaboudit!  I've cut back, but won't surrender it.  You should have seen the look on his face when I told him I was planning on wild pheasant for Thanksgiving dinner a couple years ago.   And honey?  Well that's just sugar in his book.

Yes, I have a bad back too.  That's why I'm running all medium boxes.  As for TV, it's a bad habit I've had all my life.  I quit smoking 14 years ago, minimal drinking since the acute myocardial infarction, and I can't run fast enough to catch women these days....   A man's got to have a vice or 2 to keep life interesting.
Besides, with a hyperactive dog, bees to play with, a bicycle, and 11,000 ft mountains to wander,  I'm not sitting all the time.
Winter is coming.

I can't say I hate the government, but I am proudly distrustful of them.

Offline Acebird

• Super Bee
  • Practicing non intervention beekeeping
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2017, 01:38:25 pm »
I can't run fast enough to catch women these days....

As you get older you have to use the old tried and true lure ... $500 and a gold card. :-)
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Online bwallace23350

• Queen Bee
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2017, 03:53:10 pm »
Home-brewing beer (including growing my own hops) and making mead and sometimes wine, although these have had to go to the back burner, due to doctor's orders.

I also very much enjoy hunting  (I ain't supposed to eat meat, either. shhh, don't tell him.. what he doesn't know won't hurt him),  also shooting and reloading.  Venison or pheasants that's been harvested with your own hand loads tastes better.  It's a fact.

I like to whittle, been working on a pocket knife chess set for a few decades now. 

I keep an amateur radio license, though I find other things more interesting than wave theory.

And too much television.

Why has the wine and mead have to gone on the back burner? I have brewed some on my spare time. Lots of fun
I had a heart attack a few years ago.  So I only make a few batches a year for special occasions, and make everyone else drink it.

Sorry to hear that but glad you are doing ok.

Offline Hops Brewster

• House Bee
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2017, 09:10:07 pm »
I can't run fast enough to catch women these days....

As you get older you have to use the old tried and true lure ... $500 and a gold card. :-)
I'll never be able to retire at that rate!
Winter is coming.

Offline Hops Brewster

• House Bee
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2017, 09:12:31 pm »

I also very much enjoy hunting  (I ain't supposed to eat meat, either. shhh, don't tell him.. what he doesn't know won't hurt him),  also shooting and reloading.  Venison or pheasants that's been harvested with your own hand loads tastes better.  It's a fact.

I like to whittle, been working on a pocket knife chess set for a few decades now. 

I keep an amateur radio license, though I find other things more interesting than wave theory.

And too much television.

Why has the wine and mead have to gone on the back burner? I have brewed some on my spare time. Lots of fun
I had a heart attack a few years ago.  So I only make a few batches a year for special occasions, and make everyone else drink it.

Sorry to hear that but glad you are doing ok.
Much better, thanks!
Winter is coming.

Offline Captain776

• House Bee
  • Captain
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2017, 01:39:08 am »
If you are brewing a tasty beer, you deserve good credit.
Brewing beer is not near as forgiving as making Wine.
When stationed in Kuwait for 28 months, many were brewing beer. I tasted 4-5 and they were awful, I would rather do without.
Later, I did work with a guy that had been home brewing for 20 yrs and what he made was tasty good stuff.
I learned to make Wine in Kuwait, very simple to make tasty grape juice.
Alcohol is strictly illegal in Kuwait, BUT.....you can go to the grocery store and buy premium 100% grape juice, and it comes in bottle with rubber stoppers and lock, like a Grolsch bottle and of course you can buy sugar and yeast.......and you are on your way.
Bought my first NUC April 7, 2016.
Like all you when you first started, I am fascinated with beginning Beekeeping and trying to learn all I can.
I retired May 2015 and have added this to my short list of hobbies.

Offline Acebird

• Super Bee
  • Practicing non intervention beekeeping
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2017, 08:34:51 am »

You can't be greedy.  Set a limit.  Besides it is far cheaper than getting married and having kids.  Most people don't want to retire.  That usually ends their life in a short period of time.  What most people really want is to be financially stable to be their own boss.  That is why beekeeping works so well for retirement.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Online bwallace23350

• Queen Bee
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2017, 09:32:59 am »

You can't be greedy.  Set a limit.  Besides it is far cheaper than getting married and having kids.  Most people don't want to retire.  That usually ends their life in a short period of time.  What most people really want is to be financially stable to be their own boss.  That is why beekeeping works so well for retirement.

I never want to retire. If I do I want to retire into a full time hobby that provides money and entertainment. Perhaps if I keep growing my orchard and bees that can be my retirement job. I have at least 33 years until 65 though.

Offline divemaster1963

• Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2017, 10:44:28 am »
Logging,sawmilling, woodworking, wood turning, long range shooting when I can, building with d turbine motors, solar panel building, hydro electric , housecleaning :cry:,yardwork, and building shops.

Now to find to.e to eat and sleep.

John
Only when my wife let's me have free time :angry:

Offline Captain776

• House Bee
  • Captain
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2017, 10:47:30 am »

I never want to retire. If I do I want to retire into a full time hobby that provides money and entertainment. Perhaps if I keep growing my orchard and bees that can be my retirement job. I have at least 33 years until 65 though.

I worked 47 years in heavy construction and Oil and Gas all over the world and if I was at a crossroads 30-35 yrs ago and knew then what I know now, I would have set up a booming bee business and also be a major seller of equipment. I would have had it designed for efficient production, not just randomly gave a hive here and a hive there
Then I wake up........and it was just a dream for now.
I am telling myself at 65, I will just have 5 hives for a hobby........

Bruce
Bought my first NUC April 7, 2016.
Like all you when you first started, I am fascinated with beginning Beekeeping and trying to learn all I can.
I retired May 2015 and have added this to my short list of hobbies.