Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hobbies other than beekeeping  (Read 647 times)

Online bwallace23350

• Queen Bee
Hobbies other than beekeeping
« on: April 26, 2017, 11:31:22 am »
I garden, read, and play golf. What else does everyone else do?

Offline Sniper338

• House Bee
Re: Hobbies other than beekeeping
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2017, 12:30:52 pm »
Long range shoot, build guns, reload, hunt, fish, got some chickens i tend to, work on our ranch (which is work, but theroputic) and personal finance nerd..

The wife gardens and landscapes.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2017, 01:21:41 pm »
Too many hobbies to count...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Rurification

• Field Bee
    • Rurification
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2017, 02:27:49 pm »
Gardening, weaving, spinning, dyeing, watercolor.   
Robin Edmundson
www.rurification.com

Beekeeping since 2012

Offline Psparr

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2017, 02:32:02 pm »
Make maple syrup! These two things take most of my free time.

Online bwallace23350

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2017, 03:29:35 pm »
Make maple syrup! These two things take most of my free time.

I love maple syrup. How do you make it?

Offline Psparr

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2017, 05:47:32 pm »
It's amazingly simple yet very complex at the same time. The short version is, you tap the tree when the daytime temps average 40 and nighttime temps are 20. Collect the sap and boil it down until you remove about 90 percent of the water. That's it!

Online bwallace23350

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2017, 06:11:10 pm »
It's amazingly simple yet very complex at the same time. The short version is, you tap the tree when the daytime temps average 40 and nighttime temps are 20. Collect the sap and boil it down until you remove about 90 percent of the water. That's it!

Sounds simple. How is it complex and how does the home grown stuff taste compared to the stuff I buy in the store? Also sounds pretty easy but they offer organic and non organic. Is there really that much to growing the trees?

Offline Psparr

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2017, 07:13:34 pm »
A watched pot never boils. That rule doesn't apply to maple syrup. If it boils over on the wife's kitchen stove it gets complicated real quick.
If you plant maples. Plan on waiting 20 years till you tap them.
Organic maple is basically not using any fertilizer, and not using commercially available defoamer.

Online sawdstmakr

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2017, 09:32:25 pm »
Shooting, reloading, building buildings, ranch work.
"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed.  If you do read the newspaper you are misinformed."--Mark Twain

Online gww

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2017, 11:58:44 pm »
Retirement:  Everything is a hobby now.  I have the reloader but have not reloaded in years, Solar and wind took a couple years but is now installed and I am out of the mood for more.  Now it is a little sawmilling,  Building buildings though I think I am about done with that.  My wife really does the gardening but i run the tiller and sometimes dig the holes and I unload the cow poo from the truck.   Watching the chickens and really been hooked hard on the bee forums and bee things including the building of all bee stuff.

Have cut down on the fishing and haven't rabbit or squirl hunted since starting the bees and sawmill.  Do still do rifle season for deer.

I have cut down on the beer drinking and picked up on my coffee drinking.  Still like it all but being a bit of a hermit now, my habits have just sorta changed.

Enjoy the times my grandkids are around though I am usually wore out pretty good when they go home.
Cheers
gww

Offline Captain776

• House Bee
  • Captain
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2017, 04:38:08 am »
My wife and I support 4 charities here in Thailand.
2 Orphanages with 145 children between the 2 facilities.
A school for mentally challenged children, they have 32-37 students as it varies a bit
The Home for the Destitute which has approx 100 males and 100 female residents at any one time
And......if that wasn't enough, I visit the only American inmate in jail here every couple of weeks.

We put on a birthday party each month for one of the Orphanages
The Orphanage with 103 children was in dire need of a refrigerator and supplies, so we bought them a new 2 door fridge like you see in a store that they put cold drinks in plus hit our equivalent of Costco and got then rice and cooking oil and many other things they needed.
Same with the homeless, we buy adult diapers and food supplies and I have hosted 5 lunches for 200 people and bought all 200 people new shoes and donated 3 new wheelchairs.
For the mentally challenged we put on KFC lunch or dinner, the kids love that and it us a treat for them and we bought all of these children new shoes.
We run a sponsorship drive to help support these children, my wife and I support a boy and a girl and I have found sponsors for 11 other children. It cost 17.00 a month to support a child, if anyone is interested, you may message me. 100% of any donation goes directly to the child, there is no verhead, no salaries, every penny donated goes straight to support the child's needs.
My wife and I do this completely from our heart and pocket, other than the generous people who support a child, we do not receive nor solicit any donations.

So between our own daily lives, taking care of the 2 dogs we spoil beyond belief, taking care of the Lotus pots and the fish, taking care of my new love......the bees, organizing functions for the charities.........I don't know how anyone can say they are bored in retirement, for me, there just isn't enough hours in the day.
And one or 2 days a week are for DOING ABSOLUTELY NOTHING~!! That us what I worked 47 years for.......to be able to do NOTHNG .

Bruce

Bruce
Bought my first NUC April 7, 2016.
Like all you when you first started, I am fascinated with beginning Beekeeping and trying to learn all I can.
I retired May 2015 and have added this to my short list of hobbies.

Offline Acebird

• Super Bee
  • Practicing non intervention beekeeping
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2017, 08:45:41 am »
That us what I worked 47 years for.......to be able to do NOTHNG .

2 days a week?  Doesn't sound like you know what NOTHING is.  :-)
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Hops Brewster

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2017, 10:43:58 am »
Home-brewing beer (including growing my own hops) and making mead and sometimes wine, although these have had to go to the back burner, due to doctor's orders.

I also very much enjoy hunting  (I ain't supposed to eat meat, either. shhh, don't tell him.. what he doesn't know won't hurt him),  also shooting and reloading.  Venison or pheasants that's been harvested with your own hand loads tastes better.  It's a fact.

I like to whittle, been working on a pocket knife chess set for a few decades now. 

I keep an amateur radio license, though I find other things more interesting than wave theory.

And too much television.
Winter is coming.

I can't say I hate the government, but I am proudly distrustful of them.

Online bwallace23350

• Queen Bee
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2017, 02:25:47 pm »
Home-brewing beer (including growing my own hops) and making mead and sometimes wine, although these have had to go to the back burner, due to doctor's orders.

I also very much enjoy hunting  (I ain't supposed to eat meat, either. shhh, don't tell him.. what he doesn't know won't hurt him),  also shooting and reloading.  Venison or pheasants that's been harvested with your own hand loads tastes better.  It's a fact.

I like to whittle, been working on a pocket knife chess set for a few decades now. 

I keep an amateur radio license, though I find other things more interesting than wave theory.

And too much television.

Why has the wine and mead have to gone on the back burner? I have brewed some on my spare time. Lots of fun

Offline KD4MOJ

• Field Bee
  • Bees... Motorcycles... amateur radio...
    • TangleWood Apiary
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2017, 04:43:38 pm »
Amateur radio (my username is my call sign) like Hops Brewster exception I am active.

I have several friends with NO hobby whatsoever, if you don't count on-line video games. My 85 year old neighbor accross the street is in her yard EVERY DAY, that is her hobby. When shes' done with he yard, come hops over to mine and starts pulling weeds!  :smile:

...DOUG
KD4MOJ

Offline Acebird

• Super Bee
  • Practicing non intervention beekeeping
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2017, 08:49:32 am »

I also very much enjoy hunting  (I ain't supposed to eat meat, either. shhh, don't tell him.. what he doesn't know won't hurt him),  also shooting and reloading.  Venison or pheasants that's been harvested with your own hand loads tastes better. ...And too much television.

Did the doctor tell you to turn off the TV?  Wild game has none of the bad health effects of domestic meats unless they get into a corn field.  Beekeeping is probably the worst hobby to get into if you have a bad back or diabetes.  Although if you are mindful of both problems it could be good for you because of the exercise.

I don't fish enough to call it a hobby and I never hunt.  Basically my hobbies are limited to work, gardening, and bees.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Online bwallace23350

• Queen Bee
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2017, 09:41:19 am »
Amateur radio (my username is my call sign) like Hops Brewster exception I am active.

I have several friends with NO hobby whatsoever, if you don't count on-line video games. My 85 year old neighbor accross the street is in her yard EVERY DAY, that is her hobby. When shes' done with he yard, come hops over to mine and starts pulling weeds!  :smile:

...DOUG
KD4MOJ

Can I give your neighbor my address?

Online bwallace23350

• Queen Bee
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2017, 09:42:11 am »

I also very much enjoy hunting  (I ain't supposed to eat meat, either. shhh, don't tell him.. what he doesn't know won't hurt him),  also shooting and reloading.  Venison or pheasants that's been harvested with your own hand loads tastes better. ...And too much television.

Did the doctor tell you to turn off the TV?  Wild game has none of the bad health effects of domestic meats unless they get into a corn field.  Beekeeping is probably the worst hobby to get into if you have a bad back or diabetes.  Although if you are mindful of both problems it could be good for you because of the exercise.

I don't fish enough to call it a hobby and I never hunt.  Basically my hobbies are limited to work, gardening, and bees.

I love to fish but it has to take a back seat to my other hobbies because it is not as important to me as them. I also am a very devout Christian and usually do a couple of church things per week.

Offline Hops Brewster

• House Bee
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2017, 11:41:12 am »

And too much television.

Why has the wine and mead have to gone on the back burner? I have brewed some on my spare time. Lots of fun
I had a heart attack a few years ago.  So I only make a few batches a year for special occasions, and make everyone else drink it.
Winter is coming.

I can't say I hate the government, but I am proudly distrustful of them.