Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Wind farms  (Read 575 times)

Offline flyboy

• House Bee
Wind farms
« on: April 04, 2017, 03:59:18 pm »
I wonder if anyone knows anything about wind power farms causing problems with bees?

I was not aware of the devastating affects (death blindness spontaneous abortion etc.) on livestock, wild birds, pets of all sorts,
Deaths of humans and physical misery

I used to work at the largest underground hydroelectric power plant in the world, so I knew from talking to the control room guys that these wind turbines are not far from being useless, as they only produce intermittent power and it is a crazy fluctuating power. In other words when you turn on an electric item it requires basically rock steady power or you will have devices constantly burning out from too much power or no working from too low power.

That is why they have to have so many turbines, to even out the fluctuations.

However this report outlines the reality. Starting with the PPL who live in cities and buy the propaganda and then onto the PPL in rural areas who know the reality. It is financially and environmentally a disaster. Some species are actually being put on the edge of extinction by these windmills.

I personally have read the books on global warming, but now serious doubt has been cast upon it by other PPL coming in who talk about climate cycles being associated with sunspots?

(This'll start a racket no doubt)
 :cheesy:

Anyways chime in with any actual reports on actual effects of these wind generators.

Alan

Cheers
Al
First packages - 2 queens and bees May 17 2014 - doing well

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Wind farms
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2017, 05:23:00 pm »
Stop confusing us with facts... wind good; coal bad;

I knew they couldn't be very efficient when the local electric company would let you become a "partner" by donating to put in wind generators and then giving you NO discount on your electricity in the future.  You were just donating your money to build wind generators with no return on your investment... so there must not be any significant return on the investment.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Acebird

• Super Bee
  • Practicing non intervention beekeeping
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2017, 08:44:12 pm »
so there must not be any significant return on the investment.

LOL There would not be any significant return on investment if you were to build a steam generator fired by wood either.  The government has subsidized the oil companies for eons.  We have sacrificed our youth for oil.  Nobody had to die to DECIDE to build a wind mill and nobodies sacred land was molested.  The sun is natures gift to us and low and behold because of the sun it gives us wind.  We can watch it blow by or tap it as a energy source.  Oil, coal, and nuclear is an energy source for metropolitan areas.  Wind and sun is more for the areas that don't have a lot of people.
Fluctuation from a wind turbine is child's play with today's technology.  Fifty, a hundred and even 600 HP motors pump enormous fluctuations into a grid and 30 ft away is a sensitive PLC controlling sophisticated machinery.  It has already been figured out.  No worries.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline salvo

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2017, 12:05:04 am »
Hi Folks,

Neighborhoods, humans and otherwise, surrounding a number of land based turbines in Massachusetts are experiencing negative physical and mental health effects.

Please read:

http://www.enterstageright.com/archive/articles/0317/windindustrysciencedeniers.html

Ted Kennedy didn't want them in HIS "neighborhood".

Since November, 2016, I drive a "coal burner", Kia Soul, for work. Great little car, with a 100 mile range per charge. BUT,... it's a coal burner.

BTW: All this "green energy" such a solar, will be going to grow marijuana inside huge warehouses. Irony, eh?

Salvo
Salvo

Offline flyboy

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2017, 04:49:20 am »
LOL, speaking of cal burners I remember a buddy used to get "Mother Earth News" back in the old days and had an article on a guy who had a wood stove in the back of his pickup and it drew the smoke into the truck engine and he drove around with it. I don't think he used gasoline but I don't remember the details.
Cheers
Al

Offline herbhome

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2017, 02:50:44 pm »
LOL, speaking of cal burners I remember a buddy used to get "Mother Earth News" back in the old days and had an article on a guy who had a wood stove in the back of his pickup and it drew the smoke into the truck engine and he drove around with it. I don't think he used gasoline but I don't remember the details.

It's a wood gas generator. Was used in Eastern Europe also in the lean post WW2 years.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2017, 02:54:38 pm »
>LOL, speaking of cal burners I remember a buddy used to get "Mother Earth News" back in the old days and had an article on a guy who had a wood stove in the back of his pickup and it drew the smoke into the truck engine and he drove around with it. I don't think he used gasoline but I don't remember the details.

Yes, that was back in the 1980s and he drove it all over the US.  All those tanks and trucks we left behind in the Pacific after WWII were changed over the same way.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm
-------------------

Online bwallace23350

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2017, 04:44:19 pm »

Not a bad thing. I wish I could do something like that.

Offline flyboy

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2017, 04:57:34 pm »

Not a bad thing. I wish I could do something like that.
(that was a misspell it should have been coal burner)

I found the later version of the story
http://www.motherearthnews.com/green-transportation/wood-gas-truck-zmaz81mjzraw
Cheers
Al

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2017, 05:26:38 pm »
> I wish I could do something like that.

The concept is simple enough that everywhere we left those gasoline engines in the pacific the locals did it.  They build a charcoal oven.  e.g. a sealed box that you put the wood in and you put the fire under that box to drive off the sap etc. from the wood (usually the charcoal that you created with the last batch).  You run the smoke from the charcoal oven box to the carburetor.   The Mother Earth News (MEN) one had some filters and such to keep the carburetor clean.
-------------------

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2017, 05:30:35 pm »
>I found the later version of the story

Yep.  That's the one.  I'm sure there is a copy in a box in my basement...
-------------------

Offline flyboy

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2017, 05:39:53 pm »
>I found the later version of the story

Yep.  That's the one.  I'm sure there is a copy in a box in my basement...
I wonder how you would measure it's efficiency? MPJ (miles per junk-a-wood)
Cheers
Al

Offline Acebird

• Super Bee
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2017, 08:44:17 pm »
Efficiency?  You are burning solid fuel to make another form of fuel that you can use in a mechanical machine.  If you took all the cars on the road today and powered them by wood the country would be a desert.  Likewise it would be the same if you tried to heat every home with wood.  Mind you we would not be able to breath the air to survive.
Wind does not produce any pollutants other than the cardboard boxes required to ship parts to assemble the wind mill.  The only thing that doesn't make sense is when we were suffering from a bad economy we bought wind mills from china.  People are beating up on Obama for all the wrong reasons.

Profit based government is what is killing the middle class.  Well, maybe some stupidity.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline flyboy

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2017, 08:50:36 pm »
Efficiency?  You are burning solid fuel to make another form of fuel that you can use in a mechanical machine.
'Twas a joke.
Cheers
Al

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2017, 09:34:36 am »
Around here the farmers all have piles of dead wood even if they aren't bull dozing the tree rows out to make more room for corn.  All that gets burned for nothing from time to time.  It could be powering cars and heating homes...
-------------------

Online bwallace23350

• Queen Bee
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2017, 10:23:09 am »
Around here the farmers all have piles of dead wood even if they aren't bull dozing the tree rows out to make more room for corn.  All that gets burned for nothing from time to time.  It could be powering cars and heating homes...

How much are they expanding for corn? Here in south Alabama corn is going away as is cotton. We still grow soybeans, peanuts,and produce farms are springing up. We also are growing more and more chickens and cattle.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2017, 11:18:43 am »
>How much are they expanding for corn?

To the edges of the roads...

As far as piles of dead wood and trees, I have five piles on my one place and two on the other... I wish I had a use for the wood but there are no fireplaces in my house at all and my automobiles all run on gasoline not wood smoke...
-------------------

Online bwallace23350

• Queen Bee
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2017, 12:11:31 pm »
>How much are they expanding for corn?

To the edges of the roads...

As far as piles of dead wood and trees, I have five piles on my one place and two on the other... I wish I had a use for the wood but there are no fireplaces in my house at all and my automobiles all run on gasoline not wood smoke...

So we are moving to just more and more mono cropping and probably worse and worse habitat for bees.

Offline cidersabuzzin

• House Bee
  • vroom... vroom... but more like phut** phut**!
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2017, 04:19:50 pm »
Efficiency?  You are burning solid fuel to make another form of fuel that you can use in a mechanical machine.  If you took all the cars on the road today and powered them by wood the country would be a desert.  Likewise it would be the same if you tried to heat every home with wood.  Mind you we would not be able to breath the air to survive.
Wind does not produce any pollutants other than the cardboard boxes required to ship parts to assemble the wind mill.  The only thing that doesn't make sense is when we were suffering from a bad economy we bought wind mills from china.  People are beating up on Obama for all the wrong reasons.

Profit based government is what is killing the middle class.  Well, maybe some stupidity.

A few days ago I was traveling from New Orleans to Memphis and on to Chicago On the City of New Orleans Amtrak train (Never again!) passed hundreds of wind turbines and not a one was turning! No wonder conventional power plants have to be kept on standby, but this seems to sail above the 'green's heads.
Whats good for bees is usually good for mankind. Doesn't that mean sharing?
The Ladies could still teach the Borg a thing or two!....and maybe us too, so long as we don't go too far to the left or right and fall off the edge...

Offline Acebird

• Super Bee
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2017, 05:07:25 pm »
I would expect more of that to happen.  We see it here.  The only thing Putin exports is oil and it is not good for him that the price is down.  His friends in the White House have to keep him happy.  Be prepared for major oil hikes this year along with all the green energy to be shut down.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it