Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: I feel like a murderer  (Read 2667 times)

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
I feel like a murderer
« on: May 03, 2006, 08:19:02 pm »
Every time I go into the hive, I manage to squash bees.  I just had to check my hives because I'm going to be out of town (at a beekeeping course) starting tomorrow through Sunday and I wanted to see if I needed to add a super before leaving.

When I opened the hive I was greeted by the smashed carcasses of two bees I must have killed last time I opened the hive and put it back together.

Inevitably when I put the hive back together I smash a bee or two or this time about five.  The worst case was when the hive was back together one little bee was caught by the leg between the hive body and the medium super above it.  She was on the front of the hive and I was working from the back and didn't see her.

Two of her friends were trying to help her or give her last rites or something.  I lifted up the super to free her and she fell down to the hive stand.  

Horrors!  I don't like this aspect of beekeeping.  I do have a bee brush but can't seem to find all of the bees to get them out of the way.

Any help or advice about how not to murder my bees?

Linda T in Atlanta :cry:

Offline Hi-Tech

• Field Bee
    • talkhunting.com
I feel like a murderer
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2006, 08:48:48 pm »
I usually put the very front of the hive body or super (the one I am putting back on) on the back lip of the bottom hive body or super. Then I slide it forward pushing the bees out of the way like a bulldozier.
Computer Tech, Beekeeper, Hunter = Hi-Tech Redneck
talkhunting.com

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
    • Linda T's Bees
I feel like a murderer
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2006, 08:52:21 pm »
OK, I'll try that.  Generally I feel awkward and haven't gotten the routine down yet, but adding the slide like a bulldozer technique seems like it would help.

Thanks,

Linda T

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
I feel like a murderer
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2006, 09:07:30 pm »
>Two of her friends were trying to help her or give her last rites or something.

Naw.  Just trying to haul out the trash.

> I lifted up the super to free her and she fell down to the hive stand.

Where they were intending to take her anyway.

>Any help or advice about how not to murder my bees?

First, learn to minimize it, and then get used to it.  You'll be squishing some bees from time to time.  Hundreds die everyday from old age, car windsheilds and bad weather.

To minimize it, try setting the box down catty corner so only four points are touching and then slowly rotate it around to position.

Learn to set things down slowly.  Accept that some bees will NEVER get out of your way but give all the smart ones the opportunity.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Denise

• House Bee
I feel like a murderer
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2006, 09:13:20 pm »
Oh tillie! I'm so with you. My husband and I abhor the mass squashings every time we open up the hives. We try so hard to keep everyone out of the way, but I swear some have a death wish. Even putting a frame back in, you have to watch for the errant bee that tries to get under the rabbit and gets mashed. I wince at that crunching sound. We do the bulldozer when putting the deeps and supers back on one another, but there always seems to be someone getting squooshed. I feel terrible with each and every one. We have the constant chant, "Move, move, move. Get out of the way." Followed by "Aaarrrgh! There goes another one." I value each and every little life and can't stand to take them by my clutziness.
Gah.
"I saw me life pass before me eyes. It was really boring." - Babs, Chicken Run

Offline thegolfpsycho

• Field Bee
I feel like a murderer
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2006, 09:19:44 pm »
I guess you could smoke em down it it's that severe.

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
I feel like a murderer
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2006, 10:36:49 pm »
You have a long way to go before you are a serial killer like me.
http://beemaster.com/beebbs/viewtopic.php?t=4172&highlight=west+palm+beach

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
    • Linda T's Bees
I feel like a murderer
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2006, 10:59:10 pm »
My gracious, Brendhan, I can't imagine doing what you did moving the bees from the boat.  And your pictures of the whole thing are great details.  I see that that was in January - did the hive survive?  the queen reappear?  

I see this as a bee rescue - although I do understand that many lives were lost. :cry: :(  

Linda T in Atlanta

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
I feel like a murderer
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2006, 11:42:24 pm »
Quote from: tillie
My gracious, Brendhan, I can't imagine doing what you did moving the bees from the boat.  And your pictures of the whole thing are great details.  I see that that was in January - did the hive survive?  the queen reappear?  

I see this as a bee rescue - although I do understand that many lives were lost. :cry: :(  

Linda T in Atlanta

The queen was never found. Either lost or died.
The hive was merged into a hive with a strong queen. Since the orginal queen was lost, the orginal bees were lost through attrition, although they did spend their last weeks, providing strengh, building comb, bringing pollen, and making honey to the hive. It was an interesting experience. You can read about it on my website. Just go back to the archives and look in Janurary where it all began.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

anything