Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Honey is not approved of by vegans  (Read 1003 times)

Online bwallace23350

• Queen Bee
Honey is not approved of by vegans
« on: March 08, 2017, 09:29:17 am »
http://www.vegetus.org/honey/honey.htm

The simplest reason why honey isn't vegan is by definition. The term vegan was coined by Donald Watson in 1944 and was defined as follows:

Veganism is a way of living which excludes all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, the animal kingdom, and includes a reverence for life. It applies to the practice of living on the products of the plant kingdom to the exclusion of flesh, fish, fowl, eggs, honey, animal milk and its derivatives, and encourages the use of alternatives for all commodities derived wholly or in part from animals (Stepaniak).

These people are nuts. I hope they don't spray to kill bugs in their house or kill a spider when they see it. (I only kill poisonous spiders in the house. If it is outside I leave it alone.)

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
Re: Honey is not approved of by vegans
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2017, 12:03:19 pm »
I've heard that if you hook up a plant to a polygraph, it registers a response when you cut the plant.  Therefore, a plant seems to be a sentient being and is equivalent to an animal.  So exploitation of plants is also to be condemned. 

Therefore, let those who deplore the exploitation of any sentient being eat rocks and dirt.  As for me, I'll take veal with a side of foi gras and veganism be darned.
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2017, 12:28:58 pm »
I think it's wrong to kill defenseless plants.  They have no fair chance since they can't even run away.  I think it's only moral to eat animals who at least have a fair chance.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline herbhome

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2017, 12:30:26 pm »
Plants respond to stimuli such as temperature, touch, moisture, and sun light. They have senses and they actually move in response to those senses.

Eating requires killing. It is an unfortunate fact of life and living.

I have known many vegetarians/vegans in my life and they always looked horribly undernourished and their children looked absolutely gaunt. And they did not see it. Some of the vegans I have known and kept up with have had bad health outcomes or shortened lives.

That is purely a subjective view, but I think the vegan viewpoint is poppycock. Folks should eat more vegetables and less meat in their diet, but don't throw out the baby with the bathwater.

Online bwallace23350

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2017, 12:42:50 pm »
I could not be vegan. I am not a big meat eater but sometimes I just crave a hamburger from Hardy or homemade. I could do a vegetarian diet by eating eggs and dairy but again I think it is silly to do that. I don't eat a lot of meat but I do think it is important for a balanced diet.

Online sawdstmakr

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2017, 01:06:34 pm »
Not me, I like a good mixture of all kinds of foods, especially fruit and nuts but some meat is also important. We do not have canines for eating vegetables.
Jim
"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed.  If you do read the newspaper you are misinformed."--Mark Twain

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2017, 03:02:04 pm »
Not me, I like a good mixture of all kinds of foods, especially fruit and nuts but some meat is also important. We do not have canines for eating vegetables.
Jim

Speaking of canines, I know some vegetarians with dogs and cats and they insist on making the animals vegetarian, too. 
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline herbhome

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2017, 05:50:13 pm »
Feeding a dog vegetables makes as much sense as feeding chickens styrofoam.

Online bwallace23350

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2017, 05:52:16 pm »
Feeding a dog vegetables makes as much sense as feeding chickens styrofoam.

That is just crazy. Why would you do that to the poor dog or cat?

Online sawdstmakr

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2017, 06:54:47 pm »
Because since they think it is the right thing to do then everyone and everything must do it.
"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed.  If you do read the newspaper you are misinformed."--Mark Twain

Offline paus

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2017, 06:55:47 pm »
If you want to learn how to work or treat anything go to the makers manual.  The makers manual says it is good to eat meat, look it up.

Offline Jim 134

• Super Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2017, 05:17:04 am »

The simplest reason why honey isn't vegan is by definition. The term vegan was coined by Donald Watson in 1944 and was defined as follows:

Veganism is a way of living which excludes all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, the animal kingdom, and includes a reverence for life. It applies to the practice of living on the products of the plant kingdom to the exclusion of flesh, fish, fowl, eggs, honey, animal milk and its derivatives, and encourages the use of alternatives for all commodities derived wholly or in part from animals (Stepaniak).

These people are nuts. I hope they don't spray to kill bugs in their house or kill a spider when they see it. (I only kill poisonous spiders in the house. If it is outside I leave it alone.)

I don't believe vegans have seen high-speed grain harvesting. This process kills insects by the Millions per acre. As well as wildlife that gets in the way. These Harvesters run through the field at about 12 miles per hour. Hope you all have a great day. Oh I know they pick all the insects out while processing the grain. hahaha  :wink:

BEE HAPPY Jim 134  :smile:
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Online sawdstmakr

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2017, 12:26:53 pm »

I don't believe vegans have seen high-speed grain harvesting. This process kills insects by the Millions per acre. As well as wildlife that gets in the way. These Harvesters run through the field at about 12 miles per hour. Hope you all have a great day. Oh I know they pick all the insects out while processing the grain. hahaha  :wink:

And they do CPR on them also.  :wink:
Jim

Online bwallace23350

• Queen Bee
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2017, 02:16:17 pm »
Should have taken a picture of my lunch today, chicken fingers dipped in ketchup. Great meal

Offline Hops Brewster

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2017, 10:51:46 am »
These days, 'vegan' has come to mean anyone that chooses not to eat meat or eggs/milk products.  A general 'vegetarian, IOW.   lacto-vegetarians or ovo-vegetarians are often simply called vegetarians.  My younger daughter decided she wanted to be 'vegan', until I was finally able to convince her that it is not simply eating vegetarian, but also the philosophical opposition to utilizing any animal products whatsoever.  She decided it is a religion of sorts, and she already has her faith.  She eventually decided to give up red meats, because they give her indigestion, but poultry, eggs and dairy are still on the table.  And she likes leather furniture.
Winter is coming.

I can't say I hate the government, but I am proudly distrustful of them.

Online bwallace23350

• Queen Bee
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2017, 12:51:36 pm »
These days, 'vegan' has come to mean anyone that chooses not to eat meat or eggs/milk products.  A general 'vegetarian, IOW.   lacto-vegetarians or ovo-vegetarians are often simply called vegetarians.  My younger daughter decided she wanted to be 'vegan', until I was finally able to convince her that it is not simply eating vegetarian, but also the philosophical opposition to utilizing any animal products whatsoever.  She decided it is a religion of sorts, and she already has her faith.  She eventually decided to give up red meats, because they give her indigestion, but poultry, eggs and dairy are still on the table.  And she likes leather furniture.

Sounds like a good diet your daughter has. I don't eat a lot of red meat but do like an occasional hamburger. The honey thing just floored me when I found it out

Offline Hops Brewster

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2017, 10:35:06 pm »
I think it's wrong to kill defenseless plants.  They have no fair chance since they can't even run away.  I think it's only moral to eat animals who at least have a fair chance.
Save the Broccoli !
Wheat is Murder!
Winter is coming.

I can't say I hate the government, but I am proudly distrustful of them.

Online iddee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2017, 10:53:56 pm »
A deer that can't climb against a hunter in a tree with a 30-30. Are you sure that is a "FAIR" chance?  :shocked:   :wink:

I'll still take venison over Brussels's sprouts any day.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Jim 134

• Super Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2017, 11:18:16 pm »
Here go your broccoli power.
https://m.

"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline divemaster1963

• Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2017, 09:11:47 am »
vegans are asbout as uless as fleas on a dog. they just annoy people somuch.

john