Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Queen cell in the honey super ?  (Read 2067 times)

Offline rayb

• House Bee
Queen cell in the honey super ?
« on: May 03, 2006, 02:04:51 pm »
A quick look in the honey super (The hive has two brood boxes, queen excluder, one deep super) and saw a queen cell at the top of one super frame. Should I see queen cells in the honey super?

Thanks, Ray

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2006, 02:28:30 pm »
>A quick look in the honey super (The hive has two brood boxes, queen excluder, one deep super) and saw a queen cell at the top of one super frame.

Any brood in the super?

> Should I see queen cells in the honey super?

I seriously doubt it's a queen cell.  I seriously doubt, unless there is other brood in the super, that it is any kind of brood, let alone a queen cell.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline rayb

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2006, 06:14:12 pm »
I'll take a look and see if there is any other brood. The "cell" is about 2 inches long and sticks out at a slight angle hanging down. Sort of a peanut looking appendage.

I'll look for more. Thanks for the quick reply. Ray

Offline rayb

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2006, 06:54:35 pm »
Michael, how embarrassing,  it was just some peanut shaped comb built free form off of the frame side. All is well. The super is heavy but nothing is capped yet. Looks like they are just starting to seal some white cappings of honey.

Thanks again for all that you guys do for us new guys.

Ray