Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What's flowering: Queensland  (Read 40218 times)

Online Ben Framed

• Galactic Bee
  • North Mississippi
Re: What's flowering: Queensland
« Reply #460 on: April 20, 2020, 01:25:27 am »
Max I am glad to see that you have things worked out with your old name. I do not post here regularly as I leave it to you cousins from down under, but I do enjoy reading y'alls post here. I don't know if I could have gotten used to your new name.  lol.

Phillip Hall
« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 01:39:05 am by Ben Framed »

Offline felmo1

• New Bee
« Reply #461 on: April 20, 2020, 06:09:59 pm »
It's great to see you back max2 and to shed off your alter ego lind.
How was your trip to Cambodia? 
And was your return complicated with the virus restrictions?

Our bees on the eastern side of the range are holding their own.  Strong hives are slowly increasing their honey stores while others are consuming their stored honey.
Nice autumn weather but not much flowering at the moment.

Online max2

• House Bee
« Reply #462 on: April 20, 2020, 07:07:12 pm »
Max I am glad to see that you have things worked out with your old name. I do not post here regularly as I leave it to you cousins from down under, but I do enjoy reading y'alls post here. I don't know if I could have gotten used to your new name.  lol.

Phillip Hall

Yes, I'm glad I got my name back too!

Online max2

• House Bee
« Reply #463 on: April 20, 2020, 07:11:40 pm »
It's great to see you back max2 and to shed off your alter ego lind.
How was your trip to Cambodia? 
And was your return complicated with the virus restrictions?

Our bees on the eastern side of the range are holding their own.  Strong hives are slowly increasing their honey stores while others are consuming their stored honey.
Nice autumn weather but not much flowering at the moment.
felmo - the trip to Cambodia was great. I take a small group to have a look at some of the projects I'm involved with.
This time all 7 were beekeepers and we visited a beekeeper in Cambodia. The situation he was in was very challenging - very dry and nothing to eat for the poor bees. I doubt that many of his hives would make it to the next flow.
The bees were very calm - you could open any hive without the risk of a sting. I think they were very weak.
Last year I visited beekeepers in Vietnam - there is always something interesting to learn.

Online max2

• House Bee
« Reply #464 on: April 28, 2020, 06:45:23 pm »
29.4.20 - Silverleaf Desmodium is flowering along roads here. The bees seem to like it. It will keep flowering for months as long as we don't get any frost.
People hate it as the seed pods are sticky. https://keys.lucidcentral.org/keys/v3/pastures/Html/Silverleaf_desmodium.htm

Online max2

• House Bee
« Reply #465 on: April 30, 2020, 06:38:05 pm »
May 1 - the bees and Butterflies are working the Monkey Pod all day - very busy.
Looks like we missed the cold front. Rather mild here

Online max2

• House Bee
« Reply #466 on: May 07, 2020, 07:10:09 pm »
8. May - We had some windy weather here and a few drops of rain..the parrots have broken off some small branches off the Blue Gum and to may surprise some of the buds have opened.
The Blue Gum generally starts flowering here around July.
No idea what is going on but this is far too early . The weather has been far too mild this Autumn and this may influenced the flowering.
Blue Gum's can flower for an extended period here and I keep hoping that they  will give the bees a great start for Spring - not now.

Online max2

• House Bee
« Reply #467 on: May 12, 2020, 10:48:38 pm »
We shifted 13 hives to a new site - easy distance to the Maleny NP.
I went to check on them this morning and they are busy as. Looks like something masybe flowering.
Good to see busy bees

Online max2

• House Bee
« Reply #468 on: May 19, 2020, 12:18:10 am »
I went to visit a beekeeping friend west of Gympie and the bees are bringing in ligh yellow pollen - YES - Blue Gum.
It will be interesting to see how they perform this year.

Online max2

• House Bee
« Reply #469 on: May 20, 2020, 12:39:44 am »
It is BEE day today and this was posted on ABC News on Line:  https://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/2020-05-20/world-bee-day-bees-starving-drought-feeding-sugar-honey/12263374

It has been a tough year to date but we live in hope