Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Election prediction  (Read 1117 times)

Online herbhome

• Field Bee
Re: Election prediction
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2016, 06:57:21 pm »
I think this one is too close for anyone to call. Either way wouldn't surprise me.
Neill

Online sawdstmakr

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2016, 07:16:43 pm »
This sounds promising.
Jim
"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed.  If you do read the newspaper you are misinformed."--Mark Twain

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Practicing non intervention beekeeping
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2016, 09:45:19 am »
This one is easy ...
The republican party will not take this presidential election or any in the future until it has a unified platform and attracts people from all walks of life.  It was clear to the Democrats that this was so because they picked Hillary knowing even she could win.  If they were under the gun they would have picked someone like Biden.  They didn't have to.
In the congress it is different because the election is state by state so the platform can be whatever the local people want to hear.
We are the United States but each state can have very opposing views.  Most of the power is in two states because of the electoral college.  Change that to a popular vote and the ball of wax changes.

The media has fun swaying the polls and keep the excitement going.  That brings in billions is commercials that we all can't stand.  I heard recently that people in Ohio were shutting off their lights and TV because it is so bad.

Billions spent on these campaigns ... what a waste.  Think of the good it could do if it was spent elsewhere.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2016, 09:48:08 am »
The democrats will win. Even with yesterdays revelations they will win.

Online iddee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2016, 12:34:47 pm »
I asked once and didn't get an answer, so I'll ask again. How can anyone vote for a candidate that is against capital punishment, but for abortion? Kill the innocents babies, but save the vicious murderers. Just doesn't make sense to me
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline mikecva

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2016, 12:48:16 pm »
Look at the bright side: History will be made if Hillery wins; she will be the first president-elect to receive a pardon for all the crimes she has committed.
Listen to others but make your own decisions. That way you own the results.
Please remember to read labels.

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2016, 08:42:06 pm »
Can Obama pardon the crimes she will commit in the future?  And she will commit high crimes and misdemeanors, becuae she just can't help herself.  It's in her nature.
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Practicing non intervention beekeeping
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2016, 08:47:36 am »
I asked once and didn't get an answer, so I'll ask again. How can anyone vote for a candidate that is against capital punishment, but for abortion? Kill the innocents babies, but save the vicious murderers. Just doesn't make sense to me
Our criminal justice system is far from perfect and makes many mistakes.  We don't separate the cases between reasonable doubt and no darn doubt at all.  So there have been cases where death row inmates were found guilty but actually innocent.  Abortion is an economic way of solving the unwanted baby problem.  Society is not ready yet to use sterilization as a solution.  Society has accepted the use of birth control methods that get used by those that want their babies and can control when they have them.
This is off topic.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Psparr

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2016, 08:52:20 am »
Abortion is an economic way of solving the unwanted baby problem.

God help us!

Online iddee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2016, 09:20:40 am »
My question wasn't about law. It was about the personality of the candidate, and what they think is right or wrong.Again, how can anyone support a person that feels abortion is OK, but capital punishment isn't?

PS. Which one kills more innocent people?
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline gww

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2016, 12:15:55 pm »
Iddee
You always break things down to the simplest form in your question and simple is a good thing in personal actions of right and wrong.  The problim is that making laws is not simple because once law, it ties the hands of having a bit of flexability in addressing what is really the situation.  Lots of things are legal and people can abuse it being legal and make it a bad thing.  Sexual preditaion laws are a good thing but maby not so good if a 17/18 year old was dating a 15/16 year old.  We all know this happens.  I am not sure the law should be applied in this case like maby it should be if it was a 30/40 year old with a 15/16 year old.

When it come to abortion.  My brothers wife was pregnate and had problims pretty early in her pregnacy.  I being the crass unfeeling type person I was thought she was just wanting attention cause how could a 25 year old be having health problims and going to the hospital.  Turns out that she had some kind of blood type issue and the pregnacy was causeing proteins to collect in her blood shooting her blood pressure to dangerously high level.  The had to take the baby then or risk her life.  The baby was born and weighed two lbs and spent about 3/4 months in the hospital before he could be brought home.  He is 16 today and doing well.  It was however a very stressfull time with some hard decisions.  Yes some times people abuse things that are legal but when you adress these abuses you have to be very careful because some times there is no right answer and you have to make hard decisions.

It worked out in my brothers case but was at the edge that it could have gone either way.  It could have took both the babies life and the moms life.

If you look at individual cases with all the facts, there might most times be a simple right and wrong.  The law however is more genaric than that and so it is hard to make something that covers each situation correctly and if you try to do that then some one will try to abuse the latitude that was built into a law like that wrongly. 

So in the end you cannot legislate morality and do it in a moral way.  So I pick pro choice and then just look down my nose at those that abuse the freedom that the law gives.  When you talk about innocents and which causes more innocent pain, I don't know that it can be purly added up that way cause one innocent is still an innocent and saving two innocents does not make the one innocent not innocent.

These are hard things and not always simple expecially from a making the law that covers everything perspective.
Just my thoughts
gww

Online iddee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2016, 12:38:04 pm »
You sound just like Hillery. Talk long and hard, but never answer the question.

How can you support abortion, OK, abortion by choice, and not support capital punishment? Personally, I think it takes a sick person to allow a woman to abort just for her convenience, but fight tooth and nail to save a person like Jeffrey Dahmer from execution.

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline gww

• Field Bee
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2016, 02:46:25 pm »
Iddee

I did answer in a differrent thread on your question phrased in exactly the same fassion and posed and answered before you claimed I talk long and hard why a guy could vote for a canidate that supported pro choice and didn't support  capital punishment.  It was because like all canidates in any party.  You are not going to like every thing they are running on and so have to make a choice of which bad things you are willing to accept that come along with the good things you want.  If you are a single issue voter then they only have to have one position you like and you can vote for them.  So, if abortion is your only issue and no matter what else they have a position on, then in most cases you wouldn't have a chioce.  This election you might get what you want if voting for trump cause he is now saying he is against abortion.  He has said differrent in the past and so you would have to decide if you believe him now cause if you don't there would be no one for you to vote for.  Abortion is not my single issue and so I add it up with other things I like or disslike.  If it wasn't being against capital punishement that I didn't like, there would be something that I didn't like and I would still be voting for parts I didn't like with parts that I did.  I have no problim voting for someone who doesn't like capital punishment even if I don't mind there being capital punishment.

If I don't like any of the canidates on every issue but still are going to vote for one, there is no other choice.

I also have some other views you could take issue with.  Take torture.  I believe my first instinct would be to turture some one who caused me harm or to get what I need to stop harm to me and mine.  I don't believe that governments should take on personal instincts to have their employees go out and torture people to get an outcome that they want.  So just because I have the potential to want to get even in a harsh manner, the gov should be about justus.  Torture by goverments needs to be wrong.

On the death penalty (Though you picked an extreem case in jeffery dalmer and not all cases in front of the court is like that)  I think it is justus for some people to recieve the death penalty.  I have no issue though if they rethink the proceedures in light of all the cases that are affected by the new dna proceedures that have only been around since the 90's.  It may need some rethinking on how to be sure you have it right if you learn you are getting it wrong pretty often.  I have always wondered why prosecutors where thinking and using in their advertisement, their super high conviction rates when running for higher office.  I only think a high conviction rate is worth a durn if it was getting justus.  I am not one of those who believes that a prosecutor is good cause he will win by any means. And I do think that people including prosecutors will do bad things to get good results.  Not all of them but the incentive is there for some.

Even though, if they have the right person in the right incident, I have no problim with capital punishment, it is not an issue that I would lose sleep over if a canidate persues stoping it.  I might go to jail myself for doing like some have done and shooting somebody that I had no doubt caused really bad harm to someone I loved but have no issue at all with the government having to be correct in their pursuit of justus.
Your turn
gww
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 03:04:08 pm by gww »

Online iddee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2016, 04:02:53 pm »
I agree with you on the prosecutors. I have seen too many cases where they were over zealous. I still think the capital punishment should be left as a possibility, tho, even if seldom used. There are enough appeals and re-appeals to correct the vast majority of cases, and most reversed cases were people known to be bad before that particular instance. To abolish it completely as cruel and inhumane, then push for abortion choice when no problem exists other than not wanting a baby, and there are "ZERO" appeals, in my opinion, is totally wrong.  As for torture, there are many pros and cons. I wouldn't agree to torturing all captives just to see what they know, but to save a few hundred lives by learning something they know a person knows, I can see where it would be good to have. I am not qualified to be the one to draw the line between the two.

Yes, all have goods and bads. If one is bad because they may cost me a few bucks in taxes, and the other is going to kill thousands of innocent babies, I won't have a problem choosing.  Also, I'm not condemning a person who believes in abortion, nor a person who is against capital punishment. I may not agree with them, but that is their prerogative. I am condemning a person who does both. To me, that is insane.

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline gww

• Field Bee
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2016, 06:07:08 pm »
Iddee
I have very little doubt that I know where to draw the line on what we need as laws.  I let people who study their area of expertice decide that and just retain my right to not like what I don't like even if they are smarter on a particular subject matter.

My internal instinct though is that you can't fix stupid with laws and you can hurt people who may not be doing stuff that is really out of line by making laws to solve bigger problims then what they did.  I think most laws are really dangerous and so believe it is always good to proceed with caution before wanting to fix everything.
Cheers
gww

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2016, 01:29:54 pm »
The closer the election and the more people hate both candidates, the more likely neither will get the 270 required votes it will go to congress were each state gets one vote, they have to choose between the top three candidates and the winner has to get 26 states.  If it goes to congress Gary Johnson will win.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2016, 04:44:26 pm »
The closer the election and the more people hate both candidates, the more likely neither will get the 270 required votes it will go to congress were each state gets one vote, they have to choose between the top three candidates and the winner has to get 26 states.  If it goes to congress Gary Johnson will win.

I hope you are correct. Are you sure about the congress having to choose between the top 3?  If it got to a certain point, where nobody could get 26 votes, couldn't they pick somebody off the street? 
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Online herbhome

• Field Bee
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2016, 06:02:45 pm »
iddee,

I agree that it is hypocritical to support abortion and condemn capital punishment. I am against both. I believe that human life is a gift from God. No man has the right to take it.

Would I kill to defend my loved ones? Yes. Let God sort it out.

Our nation holds life to be a fundamental right. It is a huge thing to deny it. Lock them up for the rest of their lives if they are that bad. The ones who get the death penalty usually are unredeemable scum that I don't want in my neighborhood.
 When the government executes someone they do it in the name of all the citizens. I don't sign off on that. If killing is wrong it is wrong for individuals as well as governments.
Neill

Online iddee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2016, 06:14:35 pm »
Sampson was the biggest single killer I have ever heard of, led by God.

*Shel Silverstein*