Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Well, it's done. New Topbar hives  (Read 733 times)

Offline TALittle

• New Bee
  • I'm simply saying that life finds a way.
Well, it's done. New Topbar hives
« on: July 17, 2016, 10:28:21 am »
I have a ranch way out off the beaten path. (12 acres in the middle of 5000 acres of woods) I built two top bar hives from scrap lumber and last weekend placed them on the property. Total cost of the hives was $11 each.

I put the backer boards at the calculated location to provide 35l of internal space. Rubbed the chamfer molding on the top bars with bees wax, then put 8 or so drops of lemon grass oil on a cotton ball inside a ziplock bag with about 1" open and tossed it in the back of the hive.

Hives are facing south-south-east, so now it is just a waiting game. Hoping a swarm will move in.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline Rurification

• Field Bee
    • Rurification
Re: Well, it's done. New Topbar hives
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2016, 03:06:20 pm »
Looks great!   Good luck!
Robin Edmundson
www.rurification.com

Beekeeping since 2012

Online tycrnp

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2017, 01:23:09 am »
Considering doing this myself.  Did you have success?

Offline sawdstmakr

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2017, 12:57:21 pm »
TA,
Seal up those baggies. With 8 drops and being open, they may move in and move back out. It is like you having to put up with your mother in law who uses a whole bottle of perfume every day. If you seal them, they will last longer. You will find that in about a week they are dry even though they are sealed. It seeps out slowly.
Jim
"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed.  If you do read the newspaper you are misinformed."--Mark Twain