Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: hams?  (Read 1049 times)

Offline 1frozenhillbilly

• House Bee
hams?
« on: May 22, 2016, 09:45:59 pm »
i posted a note on this in the coffee's ready thread but are there any other hams on the forum?  I been saying for 39 years i'm gonna get my license "someday" i got my call sign at 10:00 this morning Alaska time and I'm on the air now as KL4GU
vegetarian???  isn't green stuff for growing meat?
I'm now KL4GU on 2 and 10 meter ham radio!

Offline Gunny-T

• New Bee
Re: hams?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2016, 12:25:41 am »
I've always been interested in Hamm radio but don't know anything about it.  Kinda went the same way with bees!  I'll call that next on the list.  Congrats on your new license!

Offline sawdstmakr

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2016, 12:59:40 pm »
Same here. I was never very good at learning the Morse Code so I never went for it.
I used to run the Ham radio for our sailors calling home from the Persian Gulf and also when we were in the Med but that was based on my electronics background authorizing it for the Navy, not a license.
Jim

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2016, 03:59:08 pm »
Me as well. I would like to know what to buy and how much to expect to pay for it. I figure if grid down at least we can listen to outside news sources and figure out what's going on.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline texanbelchers

• House Bee
    • Mark Belcher
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2016, 07:27:47 pm »
For listening there are a lot of general purpose receivers out there.  In this digital world they are getting very small and operate on batteries well.  A quick search for prepper radios gives you a list.  I haven't researched anything recently so can't make a recommendation.  Something with AM/FM/SSB (USB and LSB) names listed would be good.  I would think a weather radio may be included also.

WD0CKO, since '77, but don't operate much

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2016, 08:22:24 pm »
Do you still have to do Morse code to get a license?
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline 1frozenhillbilly

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2016, 08:55:42 pm »
the code requirement for your first license was dropped about ten years ago, i never got proficient with it either, i got the training through the local amateur radio club this spring. local clubs are a great resource for our hobby and usually have a presence on the web.  you should dust off your antenna Tex.
vegetarian???  isn't green stuff for growing meat?
I'm now KL4GU on 2 and 10 meter ham radio!

Offline texanbelchers

• House Bee
    • Mark Belcher
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2016, 12:10:32 am »
All my money has been going to various schools and colleges for kids.  Instead of radio I decided to get into beekeeping and photography so my wife could be involved more.  So far she takes pictures of me keeping bees ..... and eats the honey. :cheesy:

Offline Hops Brewster

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2016, 02:17:45 pm »
KC7CBQ here.  VHF and UHF the rare times I'm on the air.  I was sort of "forced" to get licensed as I have 2 older brothers that were in radio and electronics professionally and hams on the side.  I keep my ticket current 'just in case', and for when I go on vacation, but day-to-day I find the bee-critters much more fascinating than crusty old hams.  Sweeter, too!

I also enjoy shooting and reloading.  Ballistics is easier for me to understand than electronics, even though I'm trained as a network engineer.
Winter is coming.

I can't say I hate the government, but I am proudly distrustful of them.

Offline texanbelchers

• House Bee
    • Mark Belcher
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2016, 10:14:01 pm »
Yep.  Too many interests, not enough time or money.  For some reason this work thing keeps getting in the way.  Unfortunately, I don't think "retire" is in my 15 year forecast.

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2016, 02:04:34 am »
I just turned 80, been retired 25 years and have not regretted a day of being retired.  I've stayed busy doing things I enjoyed doing instead of serving the "master," and loved every minute of it.  I was fortunate that I had what I felt was "enough" of the crap, but also enough money to say to heck with it and walk away.  Had I continued practicing law, I would have been dead long ago.  The trick is to know when you've had "enough."

Long live gardening and the bees!
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2016, 03:48:56 pm »
Dallas, you're an inspiration to me..,

Seriously, that's awesome! I'm 57 and looking to retire (ready or not) at or around 62-63. I'm like you. I want to do what I want to do before I die. I do good with the bees but I'd like to propagate plants as well. My wife has a grass cutting business and I figure we can expand by bush hogging. 
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.