Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bee suit poll. Best bee suit.  (Read 2757 times)

Offline Chris.english70

• New Bee
Bee suit poll. Best bee suit.
« on: May 05, 2016, 08:56:13 pm »
I've got a question for the experienced beeks out there.  What is the best protection to buy?  I've been looking at the UltraBreeze but it's pricey.  Full suit, or just jacket and hood? Questions, concerns, comments? I've got one hive with a bit of a bad attitude and would like to be prepared for a bad cut-out, etc. I need your experience to make a wise investment!

Thank you in advance!
Chris

Offline KeyLargoBees

• Field Bee
    • Pirate Hat Apiary
Re: Bee suit poll. Best bee suit.
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2016, 08:21:53 am »
there is no "best"

The type of protection you wear while beekeeping is just like clothing on a day to day basis...it depends on a number of factors. I wear jeans gloves and a double layered ventilated jacket  and hood on removals but work hives with a known temperment on a nice day with no protection  shorts and flip flops ;-)
Jeff Wingate

Changes in Latitudes...Changes in Attitudes....are Florida Keys bees more laid back than the rest of the country...only time will tell!!!
piratehatapiary@gmail.com https://www.facebook.com/piratehatapiary

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2016, 08:23:26 am »
Get one that you can zip up bee tight. In other words there's no place for them to crawl under or through. I have a hat veil that has a string on it to tighten it up. I only use it if I want to get close to a mean hive and look. I'm sure you can get a good one for around $60-$70 bucks but it's been a while since I looked at the prices.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline jayj200

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2016, 10:47:38 am »
a full suit with a moon hood
tried the one that requires a pith helmet. not for me

Offline Hops Brewster

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2016, 12:49:47 pm »
My 1st year I bought a full suit with hood and a pair of vented gloves.  Then June came.
I bought a jacket with hood, so I would be cooler.  And started using dishwashing gloves.  Then July came.
I bought a $6 mosquito-proof net jacket with integral head-net and some nitrile gloves.  This is what what I mostly use now, especially for routine inspections.  But I also have a mosquito head-net only, which closes tight at the neck, that I often use on a nice day when the bees in a real good mood or to simply fill a hive-top feedr or some such light chore.

The best? for me is the mosquito jacket. It's great for routine inspections.  I only use the white canvas "beekeeper's jacket" when I'm helping my buddy with his 20 hives and we're ticking off a lot of bees at once.  I haven't used my full suit since last May when we bought a couple dozen full strength hives and had to load them on a trailer by hand.  (we were ticking off a LOT of bees that day)   :shocked:
YMMV
Winter is coming.

I can't say I hate the government, but I am proudly distrustful of them.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2016, 12:16:07 am »
> What is the best protection to buy?

The Ultra Breeze or the Golden Bee Products suit.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline omnimirage

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2016, 05:23:24 am »
Where are you looking to buy them? I've always bought my things from ebay. Where I am in Australia, I only have the option of buying from the local man who charges extortion prices, or online.

Full suits offers more protection, at the expense of less flexibility, and hotter during summer. I always go suit because I like the aided sense of safety of it, and I'm quite tall and I was told that the jackets tend to slip up and expose one's lower back when bending, but at the same time.

Offline JackM

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2016, 09:42:39 am »
> What is the best protection to buy?

The Ultra Breeze or the Golden Bee Products suit.
Agreed
Jack of all trades
Master of none.

Offline Modenacart

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2016, 10:29:59 am »
Ike the brushy suit.  I would buy a little big though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline omnimirage

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2016, 09:29:34 pm »
Where do you guys actually purchase these Ultra Breeze and Golden Bee Product suits?

salvo

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2016, 10:18:48 pm »
Hi Folks,

I've been at it about five years, wearing second hand veils and a cotton "safari jacket". That worked,...until a hive got real serious last summer. My wife bought me an Ultra Breeze full suit. I'll wear it in the summer, but 'til then,...it's a "new veil" and that old cotton safari jacket.

I bought directly from Stephanie at Ultra Breeze:

"I'm happy to take your information over the phone.  I can try and call you today between meetings or you can call me this evening after 6 pm EST at 475-238-5669.

Thanks,
Stephanie"

Please see the attached photo of me in the suit. Excellent ventilation. If you look real, real close, you'll see I'm not wearing anything under it. I'm fearless!

Whoops! Looks like my photo might be invalid???

Salvo[attachment=0]

Offline triple7sss

• New Bee
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2016, 10:58:42 am »
The best bee suit is almost always the one that is already hanging in the garage.

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2016, 12:09:23 pm »
I just bought an ultra breeze for the coolness factor. 95 degree days can be tough and I want a little protection. If it was not for the coolness I would have just stayed with my normal suit.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2016, 12:46:49 pm »
I bought my cool breeze type jacket from Mann Lake. I tried it out at a Bee college and ordered it right then from the rep. He had already sold the ones he had on site.
I only use it for hot hives or unknown hives. My wife uses it now for all of our hive work. It makes her very comfortable around the bees.
These suits are much better than the regular jackets because the bees cannot sting through the 3 layers of net material.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2016, 12:49:43 pm »
I just checked and the jackets are on sale for $99.99. Suites are $119.99
http://www.mannlakeltd.com/beekeeping-supplies/category/page125.html
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline capt44

• Field Bee
  • If it don't work I'll always think it should have
    • RV BEES
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2016, 12:53:03 pm »
I started out with a full bee suit and hood a few years back.
In May the weather got too hot and a feller would over heat quick in the thing.
I went to a thrift store and bought a heavy white long sleeve shirt for 50 cents.
A gal in the bee club sewed in a zipper in the front where the buttons use to be.
I put a bunge cord around my waist to keep the bees from crawling up under my shirt and it gives me something to tie my veil strings too.
Sometimes I wear gloves but mostly not.
Hey it works and it's cool.
Richard Vardaman (capt44)

Offline SmokeEater2

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2016, 04:14:48 pm »
Where do you guys actually purchase these Ultra Breeze and Golden Bee Product suits?

I bought my Ultrabreeze jacket on Amazon.

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2016, 10:18:57 pm »
The best bee suit I have found for the heat in GA.
I use a full Nat suit used for camping and fishing. Light , compact. Fits in my pocket. Has full hood. I where thin pants or shorts and t-shirt. Cost. I found them on close out at Walmart for 7.00 got five. If it gets a tear I just sew it up. Last about 2- 3 years.  I have only found them in black but the bees don't seem to notice because it's so see thru. Only time I have gotten stung was smashing a bee in the elbow or if it gets stuck to my skin with honey. When I work the whole yard I may get one or two stings if any.

John

anything