Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Interesting take on Donald Trump  (Read 6427 times)

Offline iddee

• Galactic Bee
Re: Interesting take on Donald Trump
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2016, 10:34:36 am »
Here, to TRUMP means to play the better card. It's the winner. IE: "My idea trumps yours."  Different meanings in different areas.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline kathyp

• Universal Bee
« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2016, 06:49:07 pm »
for in the english language, to 'trump' means to pass wind audibly - i.e. a loud fart.

I think it might fit!  Lots of hot air there!!
They are so divorced from their own interests that even when their own security and that of their children is finally compromised, they do not seek to avert the danger themselves but cross their arms and wait for the nation as a whole to come to their aid. Yet as utterly as they sacrifice their own free will, they are no fonder of obedience than anyone else. They submit, it is true, to the whims of a clerk, but no sooner is force removed than they are glad to defy the law as a defeated enemy. Thus one finds them ever wavering between servitude and license.
Alexis de Tocqueville

Offline iddee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2016, 07:28:52 pm »
We are in the middle of a catastrophic blizzard. Some hot air would be much appreciated.

Both literally and politically.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline little john

• Queen Bee
« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2016, 07:42:36 pm »
for in the english language, to 'trump' means to pass wind audibly - i.e. a loud fart.

I think it might fit!  Lots of hot air there!!

Turns out it's actually a lot worse than that ...

Out of curiosity I checked on the etymology of the word 'trump', to discover that trump - in the playing card sense - is an adulteration of the name of a very old card game called 'triumph'.

The word 'trump' itself comes from the old French, meaning 'a deceiver': a purveyor of false goods (from which we get the expression 'a trumped-up charge', meaning a false accusation), a person who these days I guess you'd call a snake-oil salesman. These guys used to attract a crowd by blowing horns, and these horns in time became known as trumpets. It all fits ...

And of course, the name Trump comes from someone who was a trumpet-blower, in the same way as Baker, Smith etc got their names.

Just in case it's of any passing interest ...

LJ

P.S. Sorry about the snow
A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping - http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com

Offline Maggiesdad

• House Bee
« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2016, 10:27:38 pm »
We the the People speak American, and take great pride in a good Trump. And this one is a ripsnorter.

trump1 trəmp/ noun

(in bridge, whist, and similar card games and American Politics) a playing card of the suit chosen to rank above the others, which can win a trick where a card of a different suit has been led.
        a valuable resource that may be used, especially as a surprise, in order to gain an advantage.
        noun: trump card
        "in this month General Haig decided to play his trump card: the tank"

http://theconservativetreehouse.com/2016/01/24/they-still-dont-know-they-just-dont-know-they-dont-see-it/

Offline Richard M

• House Bee
    • Onsite Assessments Tas
« Reply #45 on: January 26, 2016, 02:56:29 am »
When heads are falling off and rolling around, loose cannons are wonderful.

You reckon? Well loose cannons are one thing, dumb-ignorant loose cannons are something else.

We're getting the Republican campaign coverage here and I was more than a little surprised last month to discover that I evidently know and understand more about the makeup, function and capabilities  of US strategic nuclear forces and their deterrent role than this man who would be President.

I watched with horror when he was asked a pretty simple question about how he'd approach modernising the Triad - Trump had no idea, not a clue what the questioner was asking him.

Pretty basic CDF that an aspiring C in C would have done his homework on nuclear deterrence and have developed some germaine and sensibly structured views on it, but instead of answering the question all he could manage was a couple of minutes of complete waffle and bull$h!t that sounded like the dumb kid in school when asked to explain gravity, the gist of his answer was that "devastation is very important" to him.

If anyone reckons that having a loose cannon around The Football is a good idea.......................?

« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 03:10:31 am by Richard M »

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #46 on: January 26, 2016, 11:42:08 am »
The Wall Street Journal today had an lengthy quote from Eric Hoffer (social philosopher and, I believe, longshoreman), who said in his book The True Believer something to the effect of people who have no hope of ever amounting to something in their own lives can, through association with a cause, regardless of its validity, come to believe there is a collective good.  That's a vast oversimplification of what he said, but I take it to mean that through a cause inspired by someone like Trump, a bunch of losers can feel like winners.  Look at the true believers in the Communist cause, inspired by Marx and Engles, who went down a long, twisted path to nowhere, and all the grief they brought upon the world, or the Nazi movement, Fascist or Imperial Japan's or hundred of other movements that have resulted in destruction and mayhem. 

From your distance, Richard M, you may be able to see more clearly than millions of Americans.  Just hope reason prevails, because there are a lot of "losers" out there in the world who, through association with one cause or another can come, for a time, to feel like winners.
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline kathyp

• Universal Bee
« Reply #47 on: January 26, 2016, 03:38:28 pm »
This reminds me very much of the Ron Paul bit.  He, at least, had a few good ideas among the crap pot ideas.  He articulated a platform.  Trump is more like Obama than most see.  Happy slogans, no real plan, and belittling and attacking those who don't agree with him.

I suspect he will get the nomination, and perhaps even the presidency.  His will be less the communist track and more the fascist track.  Nationalism and crony capitalism run rampant. 

Perhaps most people won't notice.  They don't know there is a difference between patriotism and nationalism, or capitalsim and crony capitalism.  We have done an excellent job of making people stupid.
They are so divorced from their own interests that even when their own security and that of their children is finally compromised, they do not seek to avert the danger themselves but cross their arms and wait for the nation as a whole to come to their aid. Yet as utterly as they sacrifice their own free will, they are no fonder of obedience than anyone else. They submit, it is true, to the whims of a clerk, but no sooner is force removed than they are glad to defy the law as a defeated enemy. Thus one finds them ever wavering between servitude and license.
Alexis de Tocqueville

Offline iddee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #48 on: January 26, 2016, 04:14:57 pm »
As in all our elections for the past 50 plus years, there is not a good one to be had. Once more, we are forced to vote for the lesser of the evils offered. IMHO, Trump fills that position. It's a shame we can't do any better, but we don't seem to be able to.

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2016, 04:59:27 pm »
Someone said Trump would be the only candidate that would make him vote for Hillary and Bernie Sanders would be the only candidate that would make him vote for Trump.
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline kathyp

• Universal Bee
« Reply #50 on: January 26, 2016, 07:01:42 pm »
As in all our elections for the past 50 plus years, there is not a good one to be had. Once more, we are forced to vote for the lesser of the evils offered. IMHO, Trump fills that position. It's a shame we can't do any better, but we don't seem to be able to.

until God runs, there will never be a perfect candidate.  I know there will probably never be one as conservative as I'd like.  this time, there were several that I would have been happy with, but Trump was no one of them.  We could have done better, but it seems that once again people are willing to put aside common sense in order to hear what they want to hear. 

Someone said Trump would be the only candidate that would make him vote for Hillary

As much as I don't like Trump, I can't envision him being worse than Hillary....although they have taken many of the same potions in the past......
Alexis de Tocqueville

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #51 on: January 26, 2016, 07:17:10 pm »
>As much as I don't like Trump, I can't envision him being worse than Hillary....

And therein is the dilemma...  who am I less afraid of... not the way I think elections should be...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline gww

• Field Bee
« Reply #52 on: January 26, 2016, 09:59:58 pm »
I don't believe I have ever liked anyone that I have ever voted for in my whole life.  I just disliked them less then the alternative.  I know everyone here will look at me funny but I still like obama better then I like romney and about as good as all the others that I have experiance with.  I of course just like Cathy, don't like "all" that any of them do, or even much of what any of them do. 
Cheers

I do think that we will live through whoever wins and it is a big job that none of them will have the influence that they think they will if they win.  I am even glad this is the case at certain times.
gww

Offline kathyp

• Universal Bee
« Reply #53 on: January 26, 2016, 10:24:43 pm »
but I still like obama better then I like romney and about as good as all the others that I have experiance with.

you  must have been asleep the last few years!

Romney would not have been my first choice, but he was not an anti American ideologue who thinks everything we have and do is some how unfair.  He understood how business works and he  understood that he was not "The  One".  He would not have spent all his time putting people who disagree with him down, and he never would have had a meeting with concerned congress people and ended their talk with "I won". 
http://www.politico.com/story/2009/01/obama-to-gop-i-won-017862

He's a nasty, narcissistic, little man who has spent 8 years trying to bring this country down to the size he thinks is "fair'. 
Alexis de Tocqueville

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #54 on: January 26, 2016, 10:27:13 pm »
You're right, Kathy, and we can be thankful when we are no longer one heartbeat away from having Joe Biden as president.

Offline Maggiesdad

• House Bee
« Reply #55 on: January 26, 2016, 11:49:53 pm »
LOL - seen on twitter... Trump just shot @FoxNews in the middle of 5th Avenue...

Offline eastriverbeesd

• New Bee
« Reply #56 on: January 28, 2016, 05:16:38 pm »
Here's a scenario...presuming as I do the Bush Clinton crime syndicate would never allow a good crisis go to waste. A Manchurian candidate situation. Trump pres and Jeb vp. Trump gets whacked and Jeb becomes the hereditary "decider". Waving the bloody shirt takes us down another road to war with Iran who they will blame it on.

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #57 on: January 28, 2016, 05:30:42 pm »
Here's a scenario...presuming as I do the Bush Clinton crime syndicate would never allow a good crisis go to waste. A Manchurian candidate situation. Trump pres and Jeb vp. Trump gets whacked and Jeb becomes the hereditary "decider". Waving the bloody shirt takes us down another road to war with Iran who they will blame it on.

WOW!  That's a stretch even for wild conspracy theories!  Most people wait until something happens to start concocting conspiracy theories. You presume Trump will be nominated, elected, pick Bush as VP, get whacked, Iran war will ensue, etc.  I'll bet you can sell that to Oliver Stone and get rich.  I truly admire creative thinking like that

Offline kathyp

• Universal Bee
« Reply #58 on: January 28, 2016, 08:18:25 pm »
Iran will have nukes soon and that will be that.  If we were going to go after them, it should have been done already.  Iran having nukes is part of obamas vision of re-balancing the world, I think.  It seems fair to him........

Here is what I think will happen, since we are doing this...

Hillary will be pushed out or indicted.  Biden will reluctantly step in.  In a match between Biden and Trump, Biden stands a good chance of winning.  We get another term or two of Obama ideology under Biden.

In the mean time, Iran finished it's nukes and uses one or two, probably on Israel, and rallies the rest of the Muslim word behind them.  NK holds us hostage with the ones it has pointed at our allies.  Russia and China get together to clean up the mess. 

The deal between Russia and China is probably already made.  They have been doing things like joint military exercises and realignment of currency.  The two of them will have control of the UN security council.  We have already abdicated our position there and in the world. 

I like tea from China. 
Alexis de Tocqueville

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #59 on: January 28, 2016, 09:03:00 pm »
Russia has protected Iran.  China has protected NK.  They have two proxies we can take out, or they can, and your scenario works, Kathy, without either puppet-master being touched, and "only" Israel and the entire peninsula uninhabitable for a while (plus whatever part of the US Kim targets).