Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Registering your weapons  (Read 13883 times)

Offline hjon71

• Queen Bee
Re: Registering your weapons
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2015, 05:35:57 pm »
Toilet bowl cleaner and aluminum foil in a 20oz plastic drink bottle is cheap and loads of fun. Pour in the liquid, drop in a decent size wad of foil, tighten the top, shake and toss. Just be sure to stay plenty far away :cool:
Quite difficult matters can be explained even to a slow-witted man, if only he has not already adopted a wrong opinion about them; but the simplest things cannot be made clear even to a very intelligent man if he is firmly persuaded that he already knows, and knows indubitably, the truth of the matter under consideration. -Leo Tolstoy

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2015, 09:16:19 am »
We decided to put one of those two liter bottles with the dry ice in them under a five gallon bucket.  It didn't go off.  We didn't mess with it, of course, and eventually went in the house.  It was about an hour later after we forgot all about it, that it went off and scared us half to death.   I was by the window when it went off and looked out, of course, and saw the bucket top the 60 foot trees and then realized what it was... it broke the bottom of the bucket...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2015, 05:56:06 pm »
We used to put dry ice and water in 2 liter bottles and put the cap on.  They blew up nicely.  Recently someone in Omaha was arrested for doing that.  Something about it being an explosive device.  Well, I don't know if I would call it a "device" but they were pretty explosive.

Maybe it is a silly thought, but anything that you wouldn't hold in your hand when it "went off" I'd call an explosive device. My livelihood is working with pressure vessels and I have grown a tremendous respect for anything containing ANY amount of pressure.

I have seen the destructive power of a small amount of water induced into a high pressure steam line - it can be catastrophic. I guess 30+ years of safety videos and images of how objects react when exceeding their maximum allowable working pressure - then you take two unknowns like volume of dry ice and rigid-ability of a soda bottle, any container.

Sure, many oxygen tanks are rated as high as 3000psi for home health care, etc., but they factor in that no misuse will occur - taking a hammer and knocking of the regulator valve - watch that missile fly through your walls and down the street.

I remember bring back from South Carolina many years ago a pack of 500 fire crackers. What I didn't know was the fuse time was about 1.5 seconds - you simply couldn't light them and toss them quick enough - after about a dozen tries, he saved them all for one big 4th of July moment.
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline jalentour

• Field Bee
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2015, 06:35:19 pm »
Eric, I did not register the potato cannon.  Ha!  The neighbors did get a little ancy when we were shooting it off though.

Offline Eric Bosworth

• Field Bee
  • I love New York... I hate the government.
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2015, 08:36:32 am »
Eric, I did not register the potato cannon.  Ha!  The neighbors did get a little ancy when we were shooting it off though.
My friend that about took his head off was using his at his lake house shooting into the lake. I was trying to see if I could get mine to fire potatoes across the road from my porch. That is about 800 feet. But I was trying to get them over the trees by the road that are about 100 feet tall.
All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The communist party must command all the guns; that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party. ---Mao Tse Tung

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. ---Benjamin Franklin

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2015, 11:27:04 am »
And still the humble potato launcher remains natures most impressive weapon. A true test would be to see if you could get it to go super-sonic and still hold together (no cheating and wrapping it in foil first).

Now I don't disrespect hunters here in NJ, but after feeding deer for a season, stalking out their trails and practically living in the stands and nearly raising the young ones so they'll come up and let you pet them for 20 minutes while they lay on the ground with their belly's up submissively. Then you sit in that tree (you could probably whistle and half would run up to you) and you blast them away from a rifle shooting 1200 ft per second. It's not really hunting, cause the deer are fenced in great areas of land around preserves and military bases where civilians can "hunt". I just have issues calling it hunting when you are at the designated spot where you plan to kill them every day refilling feeding stations along the path, watching them from the tree for weeks to get their patterns down on which trails they use and know how OCD deer can be, so you are at the tree stand at 2:37pm and only need to wait the remain 5 minutes before they walk by. And then similar to going to a seafood place and choosing which lobster you want from the tank, you blast the deer, and call it hunting.

Now, give them potato launchers! set them up in the tree with compressed air and micro fast opening valves and have them shoot a spud at the deer's heads knocking them senseless so that you need to climb down from the stand and choke them out before they get their wits about them - now that seems a bit more rugged and manly, besides you might have left over potatoes for a good roast. Yeah, hunting should involve potatoes and choke holds here, just to make it fair.

Now I'm gonna go and search potato guns on Youtube and likely do that until I go to work in 3 hours.

As one of the redneck Comedy guys said after hearing his friend say would sit still for 3 hours, not moving a muscle as he used a rifle that shot a bullet at 1 mile distance in just under 1.8 seconds, using a 40 power scope and on and on - the reply was, "Gee... I killed three, so far this season with my car, while doing 50 miles an hour, and drinking a beer and eating a bag of Doritos at the same time and by time I picked it off the side of the road, it was already dressed. Nice gun!.

NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline Eric Bosworth

• Field Bee
  • I love New York... I hate the government.
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2015, 09:15:08 am »
I like to get meat during hunting season. There was a year when I got 2 dear in about 5 minutes. It was a luck situation. One of my high school teachers was hunting on my property and I didn't even know he was there. I went out about the time he was leaving and about the time I got in my stand and loaded my gun a bunch of deer came down the hill and stopped about 130 yards away. So I shot one and she took off. In total disbelief that I had missed a spike horn came back about 70 yards away and I shot him. The first deer was only 10 yards away in the woods dead. 130 yard shot with a potato gun would be quite a challenge. I did make that same shot with a shotgun at a 4 point close to 20 years ago however.
All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The communist party must command all the guns; that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party. ---Mao Tse Tung

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. ---Benjamin Franklin

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2015, 10:21:29 am »
>but after feeding deer for a season, stalking out their trails and practically living in the stands and nearly raising the young ones so they'll come up and let you pet them for 20 minutes while they lay on the ground with their belly's up submissively. Then you sit in that tree (you could probably whistle and half would run up to you) and you blast them away from a rifle shooting 1200 ft per second.

I'm not in NJ so I can't say if that's what happens, but I doubt anyone has the time to do all of that.   It would all be illegal to do it here.  Most hunters don't get a deer most years... and my bullets are doing 3,600 fps... I don't think I ever owned one that was shooting 1200 unless I was purposely making light loads for plinking and then I'd probably just go all the way to subsonic and eliminate the noise.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2015, 12:52:48 pm »
Who "hunts" deer? We "harvest" deer for the freezer. I never killed a deer until I quit keeping cows.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline cidersabuzzin

• Super Bee
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2019, 05:39:08 pm »
Perhaps it requires close proximity but it is just as lethal. By the logic of requiring gun registration they could require you to register just about anything.

don't laugh.  to buy a sharp kitchen kitchen knife in England, you must sign for it and be over 18.  you can't carry something as simple as a pocket knife with a blade more than 3 inches and you can't carry a locking knife..it's for your own good, you know?
Kathy
Last week in my local Lidl (Taunton) I bought a kitchen knife with a blade length of 12" no questions asked. I didn't laugh :cheesy:
cider
PS Mind you I'm Geriatric, nearly as old as iddee in mind anyway :wink:
« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 05:56:30 pm by cidersabuzzin »
What's good for bees is usually good for mankind. Doesn't that mean sharing?

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2019, 09:03:42 pm »
Last week in my local Lidl (Taunton) I bought a kitchen knife with a blade length of 12" no questions asked.

You probably don't look underage.  :wink:  could you carry it on the street?  Could you have Amazon deliver it?  I am guessing they ID a lot of people just to be on the safe side as they do with alcohol here. 

You must live close to my sister. 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

anything