Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: buying deeps that have been pieced together verses solid..  (Read 4508 times)

Offline adamant

• House Bee
buying deeps that have been pieced together verses solid..
« on: October 23, 2014, 10:52:40 pm »
i am interested in buying 100 unassembled deeps and i can save 2.00 per deep for those that are pieced (glued). have any of you had any issues with pieced deeps verses solid deeps?

thank you..

Offline texanbelchers

• House Bee
    • Mark Belcher
Re: buying deeps that have been pieced together verses solid..
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2014, 01:32:42 am »
I have no experience with it in a hive, but it sounds like a good idea.  Even the "good" pine available is cupped, bowed, and twisted.  Basically it is warped in all directions and expensive.

I was looking for a source for glued dimensional lumber for boxes.  I want something like Ikea sells as shelving that is basically glued up 1.5 inch strips.  Precut to 9 5/8 wide would be great. :). I found some "hobby boards" like that being discontinued years ago and made book shelves that are still solid.  I can't find anything now.

Offline jayj200

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2014, 08:46:34 am »
what kind of glue? is it water proof
if the limber is rated indoor then pass

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2014, 12:56:28 pm »
Adamant,
I have taken the shallow boxes that I built the first year and added sections, that I cut off deeps to make mediums, to make all mediums boxes. The only problem that I have had is trying to insert a hive tool between the glued section instead of under it.  :-D
If you are referring to wood that was commercially spliced together to make wider pieces, if it is outdoor rated, based on type of glue, I would not worry about using it.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline rookie2531

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2014, 04:58:22 pm »
A good clean glued joint will hold better than the grain.

Offline jredburn

• House Bee
    • Poorboybees
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2014, 08:39:37 pm »
I build my own boxes and I also sell some of them.  The only Pine I can buy at a reasonable price is 1" x 12" from a cabinet supply shop.  It comes bowed and cupped  to the point that I cannot get finger joints to close.  So I rip the 12" into 3 pieces, flip the middle one and glue them back together.  I use Titbond II and my joints are so tight that they are hard to see. 
The boxes have been in the Florida sun for three summers now and are still in good shape.  They would look even better if I painted them. :)
So, to answer your question, it depends on the quality of the wood, the quality of the cut and the quality of the glue.
Regards
Joe

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2014, 10:56:36 pm »
I repair boxes by cutting out defective or rotten sections and gluing in a new piece. I use tight bond II or III. No problems. 

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline capt44

• Field Bee
  • If it don't work I'll always think it should have
    • RV BEES
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2014, 09:01:22 pm »
I buy 1x12x8ft long that does real good.
I give $8.72 a board (Pine)
They let me check the boards and I don't take the cupped ones.
I cut my boards to length, then rip them to width on the table saw and then cut box joints in 8 boards at a time.
I do occasionally take narrow boards I have ripped and glue and clamp them for later use.
I use Tite Bond II glue.
I then run it thru the planer to smooth it up and use them.
Richard Vardaman (capt44)

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2014, 09:26:01 pm »
i am interested in buying 100 unassembled deeps and i can save 2.00 per deep for those that are pieced (glued). have any of you had any issues with pieced deeps verses solid deeps?

thank you..

I can buy a brand new deep box but $9.25 in lot if 100

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline don2

• Doak
  • Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2014, 11:53:28 pm »
I buy ready cut boxes, assembled, seconds, $5 medium, $8 deep. A knot hole now and then but I duct tape those till I need air space or if the hole is in front use it as an entrance. 3 coats of paint to begin with, then 1 coat down the road when needed. Tight bond glue. d2 :)

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2014, 08:35:40 pm »
I was in the Depot last night and see they now have vinyl trim boards that are 12" wide!  8 foot long, 1x12s.  Still more expensive than wood though. 

Offline jayj200

• Queen Bee
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2014, 04:43:58 pm »
and transfer the cold far better than wood