Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Wax moth feces? Can someone confirm?  (Read 12192 times)

Offline tjc1

• Field Bee
Wax moth feces? Can someone confirm?
« on: March 29, 2014, 10:52:48 pm »
Just saw this on the bottom board for the first time - and as of yet, I have not had any wax moth in my hive... But I'm guessing that this is what it must be.

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
Re: Wax moth feces? Can someone confirm?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2014, 10:58:33 pm »
I could be wrong but, that looks like roach droppings to me. I've had WM and never remember seeing that.
Later,
Ray

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2014, 11:04:47 pm »
Pick 3 little black dots up,maybe even 4 or 5, place them on the head of a straight pin. Then you will have an idea of the size of wax moth feces.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline tjc1

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2014, 12:37:22 am »
I went looking for pics of WM feces and saw something resembling these...  Anyone else have any ideas what it is if not wax moth feces??

also note the white stringy stuff here and there (the crystals are dry sugar). There is newspaper under the sugar, but this doesn't look like shredded newspaper usually does - too white.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2014, 08:01:29 am »
Does not look like wax moth droppings to me. Also I would think it is way too cold for them where you are. Looks like you have two different sources. The brown ones are segmented perpendicular to the length. The black one is segmented primarily parallel to its length.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2014, 08:18:16 am »
I went looking for pics of WM feces and saw something resembling these...  Anyone else have any ideas what it is if not wax moth feces??

I do know in Northern Central Massachusetts (Worcester County) wax moth DO not show up until about the third week in June.  And do not come a real big problem until about a third week in July.

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline tjc1

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2014, 02:47:24 pm »
Does not look like wax moth droppings to me. Also I would think it is way too cold for them where you are. Looks like you have two different sources. The brown ones are segmented perpendicular to the length. The black one is segmented primarily parallel to its length.
Jim

Good observation! The mystery deepens...

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2014, 02:35:52 am »
Jim

Good observation! The mystery deepens...

TJ, What do you see crawling around in the hives? I see most critters that would leave poo in my colonies.
Later,
Ray

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2014, 07:13:58 am »
Long overdue cleansing walk?  :-D

just kidding
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2014, 01:13:48 pm »
Still no answer. Someone here should be able to identify them. Any entomologists?
If we do not get an answer I can send the picture to Dr. Jamie Ellis at University of Florida.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline tjc1

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2014, 06:42:35 pm »
Haven't been inside to see anything, seeing as how I am in MA AND IT SNOWED AGAIN TODAY!!!!!    :soapbox: If spring ever gets here I'll have a look-see...

Thanks, Jim for the offer to pass it on to the entomologist.

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2014, 09:43:21 pm »
Long overdue cleansing walk?  :-D

just kidding

Pretty bound up! :-D
Later,
Ray

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2014, 10:46:06 pm »
They kinda remind me of caterpillar poop.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2014, 09:05:46 am »
  I do know of one  pest that does live in the winter in this part of New England SHB.

BEE HAPPY Jlm 134 :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline tjc1

• Field Bee
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2014, 09:24:54 pm »
Hey, Jim - any luck with the entomologist? This stuff is still showing up on the bottom board, but no sign of any associated critters... Should be warm enough in a week or so to open up and have a look-see.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2014, 12:44:29 pm »
TJC1,
I just sent the picture to Jamie. I didn't realize you were previously taking me up on the offer. My bet is Jamie will know what it is just by looking at it.
Jim
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 01:05:32 pm by sawdstmakr »
Ben Franklin

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2014, 12:59:30 pm »
TJC1,
I just sent the picture to Jamie. I didn't realize you were previously taking me up on the offer. My bet Jamie is will know what it is just by looking at it.
Jim

Might take that bet.......... bet not........ kinda vague
John 3:16

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2014, 01:06:31 pm »
TJC1,
I just sent the picture to Jamie. I didn't realize you were previously taking me up on the offer. My bet Jamie is will know what it is just by looking at it.
Jim

So what's the bet?  :-D
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2014, 01:15:35 pm »
Here is the answer:

Wax moths, both of them.

Jamie

Jamie Ellis, PhD
Ben Franklin

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2014, 01:52:45 pm »
TJC1,
Jim

So what's the bet?  :-D
Jim

Ooops I lost ...... I would have bet yes on this one in favor of jamie. I thought I was on the black hairy stuff post  :oops:
John 3:16

anything