Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Negative effect of nematodes???  (Read 5274 times)

Offline CJ

• House Bee
Negative effect of nematodes???
« on: March 15, 2014, 10:32:04 pm »
Hi all,

We already have great populations of dung beetles (decreases flies and gastrointestinal stock parasites, increases water penetration and soil aeration, increases nutrient recycling) and rosette and seed-head weevils (Scotch thistle reduction) on our farm.
In keeping with the theme of using natural pest management strategies where possible, we were considering using nematodes to reduce the SHB numbers in our apiary, but I have concerns about the nematodes targeting the dung beetles and weevils.
I was wondering if anyone had any more information or experience they could share?

Cheers,
CJ

Offline HomeSteadDreamer

• House Bee
Re: Negative effect of nematodes???
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 07:30:12 am »
I don't have any information but would love to know the answer to your question.  I usually don't have too many SHB survive in the hive if I keep the oil trays with oil and a strong hive but a reduction in numbers would be nice for when I forget to change the tray or have a weak hive.  Hope someone has some knowledge on that.

Offline Diogenes

• House Bee
Re: Negative effect of nematodes???
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2014, 02:29:15 am »
I cheat with respect to SHB and ants around the hive stands.

I use a heavy plastic liner with wood chips on top. The ground under the plastic is very heavily treated with sodium tetraborate (borax). Death to ants and SHB under the plastic. Not good for bees if they were in contact with it, however, the Borax under the plastic has presented no problems at all.
"Inflation is the one form of taxation that can be imposed without legislation." - Milton Friedman