Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Location evaluation  (Read 22 times)

Offline yes2matt

• House Bee
  • Newbee in an urban setting, starting small.
Location evaluation
« on: Today at 08:45:43 pm »
I just finished my third full season of keeping bees at this house. And I've got a couple colonies in the city, and I manage colonies at a farm in exchange for veggies.

So I've got some experience to compare this to, and I've come to the conclusion that my home apiary location is *horrible * for forage. After June 1, I have to feed sugar constantly.

So I have a little trailer frame and I guess I'm going start using it. Or maybe just move them all out to a different permanent home yard.

When you are scouting for locations, what do you look for? Do you use google earth or other tools?  What do you look for with that?  What are warning signs that a place is high risk?

Sent from my SM-J737P using Tapatalk

Online sawdstmakr

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Location evaluation
« Reply #1 on: Today at 09:28:00 pm »
Matt,
The best location that I have found is in expensive residential areas where there are lots and lots of planted fancy trees that provide all varieties of flowering trees all spring, summer and fall.
My house in Jacksonxille is perfect for this but it is now rented out. I have tried real hard to find a place close to it to put my bees but nothing has worked out for my 18 hive trailer.
Jim Altmiller

Online Ben Framed

• Super Bee
  • North Mississippi
Re: Location evaluation
« Reply #2 on: Today at 09:35:30 pm »
Good post Matt.
Jim your answer is a good one. I also would like to hear more advice from others per the same questions that Matt ask as this may help Matt, you, and myself and the rest of us in time?
Phillip