Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Enemy at the gate  (Read 3684 times)

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
Enemy at the gate
« on: August 13, 2013, 02:37:44 pm »
Being retired military and appreciating all soldiers the first part of this show gives you a good idea what it was like to fight in WWII. The rifle he used is a Mosin Nagant (Mo seen Na gann). 7.62x54R. It was what the Russians used before getting the AK 47. Those things are so stinking accurate they method they used to select a sniper rifle was crude and simple. When they test fired them from the factory they would just get the best ones from that batch and use them for sniper rifles. I have about five of them and a Finish M39 - a remake of the Mosins by the Finish when they captured a bunch from a failed invasion by the Rooskies. Such a part of history.

After the first part it's pretty much a sniper vs sniper movie.

Famous Quote from movie:

When the person in front of you falls down, pick his rifle up and keep moving.
 Moral Booster from the Sergeant issuing a rifle to every other (very young) Russian Soldier.

When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Enemy at the gate
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 03:25:47 pm »
it was a great movie.  one of the few i have enjoyed watching more than once.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 12:41:05 pm »
That it is true helps the sense of history and reality...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Sundog

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2013, 01:54:16 pm »
I enjoyed the movie too… as entertainment.  Truth, reality and history, out of Hollywood?  Who’s version?  How many inaccuracies?

8-)

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2013, 11:19:02 pm »
Okay, you got me to watch - I finished it a few hours ago and it was very good. It's not hard to imagine ANYWHERE turned to rubble and it being a line in the sand.

In any of the high-tech video games (war sims as they are often called) you find out quick how powerful YET volunerable a sniper is. Any good sniper is only as good as the guy watching his back.

This movie surely was a chess game, who can outwit who and at what cost. Pinpointing a single man against man battle in the hardest days of Stalingrad isn't easy to do. I just had wished that it wasn't a love story of sorts and suicide by sniper, even with well deserved guilt was bolstering.

Nothing against women, but the rules of movies dictate some of the policy that shapes the stories, often fro their original screenplay: US MOVIES have set rules that I think often ruin what was a good book turned to movie.

Example, you have to have a woman in every US made movie. Even if it is a VOICE as was in the movie BURIED - by the way, I strongly urge everyone to see BURIED if you have not. It is the story of a Defense Contractor in Iraq who is capture by the enemy - and that is all I will say except it is an amazing one-man show (you'll see).

But then you need a 10% Canadian cast - why? And (and I agree with this, except in zombie movies and non-fiction films, you cannot kill children. The Walking Dead has killed several kids, of course all zombies, but implied killing is what you will see otherwise in movies and TV.

Some silly rules, worse than the token gay guy, black guy and old fart on Big Brother and other reality shows. The one that gets me (and I know this sounds bigoted and racist) but at lunch we watch the Price is Right and you will see the camera pan from left to right on the audience - if there are 4 black people, that is a lot. But when they start calling people up to contestant row, each half of the hour long show seems to always have at least two and often more back contestants. Which tells me they have two random piles of names to pick from, something you never hear anything about. I do not think in 3 decades (especially the last decade) a day has gone by without a black contestant and my only issue is that this is rigged. with 300 contestants in the audience, your odds are 60 to one if you only have five black contestants in the audience - how can at least two get on stage EVERY DAY?? again, two piles of names to draw from. What this has to do with Enemy at the Gates, I have no clue - but my tangential mind typed this, not me - lol. Good film.

PLEASE WATCH "BURIED" starring Ryan Reynolds - great movie.
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2015, 11:17:18 pm »
Good Movie....
John 3:16

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2015, 07:39:25 pm »
Beemaster, I haven't seen American Sniper yet, but I understand it shows him shooting a kid that's about to blow up some soldiers -- tough to do, but like John Wayne said (I think in Green Berets), "A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.". (something like that, anyway)
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2015, 11:39:15 am »
Since writing the post above, I've seen American Sniper and the kid with a bomb was (according to the movie -- who knows for real) Chris Kyle's fist kill.  That would be a really hard one. And in the movie, it weighed on him, but he was ready to do it again on his fourth tour, but the kid ran away and he was able to breathe easy again.
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944