Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Is it to late to remove honeybees from inside of a tree.  (Read 2728 times)

Offline pondman

• House Bee
Is it to late to remove honeybees from inside of a tree.
« on: August 01, 2005, 12:36:59 am »
Hi All
Just wandering if it's to late in the season to remove bees from inside of a tree :?:  I was given three trees that have honeybees in them. I removed some from a tree back in may. Also remove some that was in a wall of a old building for a guy. Would it be best to leave them in the tree till spring an then get them out :?:
Thank You

James
 :D

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
Re: Is it to late to remove honeybees from inside of a tree.
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2005, 10:45:52 am »
Quote from: pondman
Hi All
Just wandering if it's to late in the season to remove bees from inside of a tree :?:  I was given three trees that have honeybees in them. I removed some from a tree back in may. Also remove some that was in a wall of a old building for a guy. Would it be best to leave them in the tree till spring an then get them out :?:
Thank You

James
 :D

Now bees have brood inside the tree.  If it is somehow possible that winterball move to the new space. It also possible that you take only part of bees to your own and support nuc with them.  If you get bees, soon there is a new swarm.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2005, 11:30:38 am »
Do you have other bees?  It's not a bad time.  They will PROBABLY get established enough to overwinter, but you are pushing it and if they don't you may want to combine them with another hive for winter.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2005, 02:44:56 pm »
When I got a hive from one of my grandpas friend it wasnt the biggest bunch of bees I had ever seen, looked like enough for 2 or so pounds. Just to make shure they had time to collect enough pollen and nectar for winter I took 2 jar feeders and stuck them on both sides of the entrance. This kept them going for a few days and reduced the entrance so they could protect the hive. They are now have 1 deep and 2 supers fully drawn out and filled, they are working on the second deep now. I know, why second deep now? The bees had all the brood and honey in the 2 supers when I got the hive so I had to put a deep on top for them to draw out. Once they got that drawn out I put it on bottom added my second deep and put the supers on top. They have a few frames of the second deep started but I may have to feed them again to get it finished and filled for winter. :D
Ryan Horn

Offline TREBOR

• House Bee
    • The Cynical Bastards
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2005, 09:44:55 pm »
Hi all,
  Ryan !
       what time of year did you get them?
And how long did all that take ?
  Just lookin for a time line  :D

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2005, 02:10:40 am »
It took a month becuase they wouldnt draw out the comb. I had to switch some frames to get them to work the foundation. :D
Ryan Horn

anything