Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Genetic diversity  (Read 4898 times)

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Genetic diversity
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2010, 11:52:07 am »
You are contributing to genetic diversity by continuing the feral line... and the feral drones will keep helping.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline tecumseh

• House Bee
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2010, 06:45:31 am »
david mcleod writes:
it's linebreeding if it works and inbreeding if it don't.

and

I believe the starlines and midnites got around this by maintaining two seperate but similar genetic lines and crossing these every so many generations.

tecumseh:
thanks for the funny face... and yes I can see you point quite clearly.

the first thing I suspect that would reveal itself in the poster case is the (mis)alignment of sex alles and what would look like a shot gun brood pattern.  I think the current thinking (from what I have read) is that a minimum of 6 different drone types (12 drone type possibilities) are required to produce genetic diversity in the eggs produced by a given queen.

If my memory is correct (certainly not fresh) the starline and midnight were a three way cross.  Maintaining the proper drones for each of the componets of the three way cross was a larger problem in these hybrids.

I am 'the panther that passes in the night'... tecumseh.

Offline mathew

• House Bee
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2010, 12:33:45 pm »
idaxon-can u get such a mapping tool online? I like that you can set a radius and have an idea where 3miles would cover.

I have been using google maps and their satellite view around my beehive. I found quite a couple of areas that had good forage and which neighbours were farming or kept beautiful gardens. Saved quite abit of effort to walk around the neighbourhood to track down the bee line.

Offline L Daxon

• Field Bee
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2010, 03:41:35 pm »
Matthew,

I don't know if you can get such a program free on line.  You might try and google the feature.  I am sure you can buy some of the cheaper mapping programs that would have that feature.  I am a Realtor so I get it as part of my MLS access.
linda d

anything