Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: New bees  (Read 2058 times)

Offline cidersabuzzin

• Queen Bee
  • vroom... vroom... but more like phut! phut!
New bees
« on: July 06, 2010, 04:40:46 am »
  :-D At last! received two swarms from an established member of our association. Installed one in the TBH which are now going like a train, built nine combs, lots of brood and stores. A bit on the fiesty side these ladies, I've learned not to wear shorts under a beesuit, about six hits on the knee in the size of a 10p piece! did it hurt! all part of the learning process. The other swarm went into the BNH, these are a lot more docile and considering they didn't have to build comb from scratch seem to be a little slower to expand. Still the Queen is laying, I managed to find and mark her which should make things easier in future. Both hives are kept at seperate locations until they have been inspected by a competent keeper then I shall move them to a permenent location.
Regards
cider :)   
What's good for bees is usually good for mankind. Doesn't that mean sharing?

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be, as long as you elect sane politicians who are not embarrassed about their hair" with apologies to SS

Offline Somerford

• House Bee
Re: New bees
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 09:09:40 am »
Hi Cider

How are the two hives wintering ? have you a favourite ? I am struggling to cope with the TBH due to comb collapse and how hard it is to extract the wild combs....

Happy New Year !

Stephen
God Save The Queen