Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Little bubble looking thing in the lower deep (4th inspection)  (Read 4973 times)

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
Re: Little bubble looking thing in the lower deep (4th inspection)
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2010, 07:47:19 am »
Hethen, It can happen either way. A queen will lay an egg in a swarm cell for instance, but with an emergency queen cell there may no longer be a queen and the workers must transfer a larva into it. This is one reason emergency queens might be inferior, the bees might only have older larvae to choose from.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2010, 08:13:22 am »
Sarita,this is a photo of a queen cell:
http://www.vtbeekeeper.com/Images/QueenCellFrame.jpg
If you keep the sun to your back,you can tip the frame to see up the bottom of the cup. If they are going to raise a queen ,you will most likely see the white royal jelly up inside the cup.
Bees are prepared most of the time,in case something would happen to the reigning queen. That frame looks real good.

Offline saritacoleman

• House Bee
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2010, 09:57:20 am »
Buzzbee...Gotcha. Nope...what is on this frame certainly does not look like that.

Thanks a bunch!

Sarita

Offline beekeeper1756

• New Bee
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2010, 11:26:00 am »
What an incredible brood pattern.  You have and excellent queen and an excellent hive.  I agree, it's a queen cup.  First few times I saw those, I freaked out thinking they were trying to build a queen cell (which would mean either faulty queen or no queen, both heart stoppers for me).  I called my bee mentor and he explained what everyone else has shared, it's a queen cup.  It's preparation for an egg to produce a queen should they need it.  My mentor called them "threat cells" to the queen, i.e. get to work or we'll replace you.

Enjoy your bees, they are fabulous.  Wish I could say that all of my queens produce brood patterns like that.

good luck.
 8-)

Offline slacker361

• Field Bee
    • Thank You Honey
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2010, 12:40:46 pm »
yes my new hive had them too bet they never swarmed, i like the idea of they build them just in case