Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Cool bee keeping videos - German speakers needed  (Read 2717 times)

Offline David LaFerney

• Field Bee
    • The Door Garden
Cool bee keeping videos - German speakers needed
« on: January 24, 2010, 10:44:44 pm »
Finski posted one of these videos on another thread and I started looking at the other videos by the same source - bienenwerkstatt.at  and thought that others might find them interesting as I did.  They are in German I think, so if you do english language searches on youtube they probably don't usually show up.  

I'm only guessing about exactly what it going on, and I would appreciate any insight that anyone has into what it going on, or even a summary of what he is saying if someone can translate.  Most of them are about queen rearing, and I've tried to put them in order.

Grafting larva into cups

Spätes Umlarven im Freien 2008

Installing grafted queen cups into a cell starter hive

einhängen einer Zuchtlatte in ein Startervolk

Collecting nurse bees for mating nucs

abstoßen der Bienen

Ladling nurse bees into mating nucs

Check out the cool mating nuc/observation hives.  Those would make it really easy to check the laying pattern.  I wonder how you get the queen back out of them?  It looks like the frame only occupies about the bottom 2/3s of the nuc, and in several places you can see a space above the frame - why?  Anybody know how those nucs are laid out?

Füllen der Einwabenkästchen (EWK)

Marking virgin queens

Check out the queen cages to catch the emerging virgin queens.  Looks like a good system to keep them from killing each other.  Obviously that was installed after the cells were capped.  

Königinnen zeichnen und zusetzen in EWK

Installing queens into mating nucs

It looks like he is dipping them into liquor.  I assume that this serves a purpose other than exotic mixology - he even shoots it at the end.  Anyone have any insight into what it's for?

Film 5 Mai 09 Königinnen kommen in die EWK`s

Reuniting bees from used mating nucs into an artificial swarm.

Film Freiluftkunstschwarm und Ableger

Collecting Frames of honey

Bienenwerkstatt

« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 11:34:32 am by David LaFerney »
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Samuel Clemens

Putting the "ape" in apiary since 2009.

Offline Old Blue

• House Bee
Re: Cool bee keeping videos
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 02:09:27 am »
Taking a shot in the dark. 
I would guess that when he is installing the queens into the mating nucs, he is dipping them into some kind of liquor so that the alcohol washes off any existing smells or maybe pheromones so that all those nurse bees will accept her instantly instead of having to cage her for 5 or so days prior to release?

Offline David LaFerney

• Field Bee
    • The Door Garden
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 10:00:39 am »
That's what I think it is too.  It sounds unpleasant for the queen, but if it works...  I wonder how long you leave the nucs queenless before giving them a queen?  Not long I bet  because he just has them trapped under drinking glasses.  Then I wonder how long after giving them the queen before he opens the nuc to let them fly.   

I'm gonna make me some single frame clear sided nucs like that.  Just think how easy that makes it to tell which queens are performing best.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Samuel Clemens

Offline sparks

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 10:12:44 am »
I think that when he points to the liquid at the first of the video he calls it honey wasser (honey water).  Seems kinda harsh to dip a queen in something containing alcohol.  Just my $.02.

Offline David LaFerney

• Field Bee
    • The Door Garden
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 10:39:45 am »
I think you're right.  How hard is that? Just pay attention and listen. Oney wassa.